Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2018 1:14:44 PM EDT
I am looking to build up a AR upper for DCM matches and was consider a BCA barrel. I was looking at their 20 inch, SS rifle length heavy barrel, Wylde .223 chambered, fluted, 1/7 twist. I can't find any meaningful reviews of this barrel and wanted to know if anyone has tried it. My plan is to build it up with a RRA DCM HG, and Dez clamp on FSB. Thought it might make a fun iron sight upper. BCA claims the barrel will shoot MOA.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 4:27:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Well this post had a few looks but no opinions. I figure this barrel isn't a popular option for DCM rifles. I  ordered the barrel and it should be here tomorrow.  When it gets here I will give you an update on the barrel, visual inspection. Once the rest of my parts come in I will update you on the build and how she shoots. I figure worst case is I buy a WO and rebarrel. I am not too concerned cause I like projects.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 8:31:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mb3] [#2]
Barrel arrived yesterday. I ordered it on 7/5 and it arrived 7/7 from Primary Arms, TX to FL. It was packaged very well and arrived with no damage to the packaging. I took pictures but I am not sure how to post since I dumped PB. Overall the barrel looks great; nice crown, good polish, sharp clean fluting, with a nice M4 barrel extention. There is a very small nick, tool mark, on one of the flutes. It is about 1/16 of an inch in length. I also received my DEZ fsb and it looks great. I will have to dremil the sling swivel attachment so it will not interfere with the hg. The barrel is dimpled underneath so locating the fsb should not be an issue. Thats all for now.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 6:23:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Please keep this updated with your findings.   I love it when a cheap barrel hold the x ring.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 6:53:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Just a little update; I got my upper assembled without any real issues. The Brownells M4 upper looks pretty good. It has as little bit of a blue/black finish but the machine work looks great. My only complaint is the barrel to upper fit was not very tight. I didn't have any shim stock on hand so I used Lock Tight to bed it. The DEZ FSB is very nice. It fit snug and was very easy to mount true, with the dimpled barrel. I used a dremel to cut off the sling mounts, filed the cuts flat, and cold blued with Oxpho Blue. The installation of the RRA NM tube went well. It was a little hard to mount it level once I tightened the lock ring. I got it very close but, will likely re adjust it after shooting. The handguards fit very tight and were a challange to adjust and mount. I have decided to use the RRA carry handle with the 1/4 adjustment, .040 objective. I haven't ordered it but will use a standard carry handle until it arrives.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 6:59:24 AM EDT
[#5]
General consensus on BCA and accuracy is it's a crapshoot.  It might shoot ok, it might be all over the place.  No reports of stellar accuracy I can find.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 7:25:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Good luck with it.  It will be interesting to see what it produces at 600 yards.  I have one 14.5 BCA barrel.  It does pretty good but I’ve only fired it at 100.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 10:08:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PalmettoSharpshooter:
Good luck with it.  It will be interesting to see what it produces at 600 yards.  I have one 14.5 BCA barrel.  It does pretty good but I’ve only fired it at 100.
View Quote
Thats what this is about. I am trying to build up a bugdet rifle and see whst I can get out of it. BCA says their barrels will hold MOA so I will see if this build will at least to 300 yards. There is one range nearby that I can get to 600 on.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 3:39:04 PM EDT
[#8]
ALL THE REVIEWS I,VE READ ON BCA BARRELS HAVE BEEN BAD............MOST SEND THEM BACK
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 4:07:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Should of just went with a WOA barrel or upper. They make very good barrels and are well know in the service rifle.

Scott
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 1:27:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 2:25:04 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner.

Get a rail, not the old school float tube with standard A2 handguard. Geissele is popular, but Larue, Daniel Defense,KAC or any other free float of your choice will work fine.

Don't run iron sights unless you like to lose. With the recent changes in rules that allow 4.5x or less magnification scopes you'll have a severe handicap with irons.

White Oak Armament or Compass Lake Engineering or the only two sources that I recommend for NRA/CMP tournament barrels.

You need 68/69 or 75/77 grain bullets for the 200/300 yard lines. You need 80 grain bullets at 600 yards, fed one at a time.

Get a quality trigger. Buy a leather sling.

An adjustable stock is allowed now and you'll need it. It will allow you to get good eye relief on your scope in the various positions.

I like Magpul's UBR and B5's SOCOM.

A1 grips are allowed and I prefer them to A2's.

Your sling must be mounted all the way forward on your float tube.

Your trigger has to hold 4.5 pounds or more or you can be disqualified.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 10:30:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By BCOWANWHEELS:
ALL THE REVIEWS I,VE READ ON BCA BARRELS HAVE BEEN BAD............MOST SEND THEM BACK
View Quote
Not trying to be overly critical of your statement, but maybe you haven't read many reviews.  That's a broad blanket statement you made.  I'm no apologist for BCA.  The crazy thing about them has been the wildly varying results that many have gotten on this site.  As already mentioned the word "crapshoot" applies.  Some have been dead-on and some definitely have not.

The good news is that they appear to honor their returns.  The bad news is that you might have to return one.  Just want to be fair.  No...they wouldn't be on the top of my list for a precision AR...LOL!

I have one of their $65, 16", 300BO barrels in an odd 1:10 twist that I've mentioned before on here.  It has turned out to be my primary hunting rifle for coyotes and pigs in river bottom, wooded terrain where no shot will exceed 200 yards using home loaded 110g V-Max supersonic.  The accuracy of this barrel is always under MOA from a bench when sighted in.  I have a threaded Glock 17 from them also that shoots as well as my factory barrel that cost $57.  Go figure.

I have barrels costing hundreds of dollars, so I appreciate quality...and they delivered.  I said I certainly wouldn't consider BCA for anything precision, but I do have one of their offerings on a precision gun.  They make a nice, affordable, side-charger, AR15 upper with a nice nitride BCG.  It resides in a 24" bull barrel 5.56 bench gun that is a tack driver.

They say you get what you pay for, and with BCA barrels that can be the case, and then in some cases you'll get way more than what you paid for.  For those who want guaranteed results without having to backtrack with a possible return, then definitely go with another barrel manufacturer.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 1:02:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Mine shot moa with dag!  It hated fgmm 175gr, liked 168gr eld but loved dag.  Great barrel, was the 16" ss heavy but...but....i got lucky.  Hit or miss

Was a blaster build and barrel was 65 delivered
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 3:39:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a couple of pictures of the barrel as it arrived. First range trip was pretty good. I loaded up some 75 gr Hornady BTHP over RL15 and with irons at 100 yards I was holding about 1.5 inch 5 shot groups. I am going to get a RRA match carry handle, and a thinner FSP and see if I can tighten the groups up. Overall pretty happy so far with 150 rounds down range, need to work a little on load development (might go with 77 SMK).

Link Posted: 4/7/2019 10:58:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By ARTNC10:

Not trying to be overly critical of your statement, but maybe you haven't read many reviews.  That's a broad blanket statement you made.  I'm no apologist for BCA.  The crazy thing about them has been the wildly varying results that many have gotten on this site.  As already mentioned the word "crapshoot" applies.  Some have been dead-on and some definitely have not.

The good news is that they appear to honor their returns.  The bad news is that you might have to return one.  Just want to be fair.  No...they wouldn't be on the top of my list for a precision AR...LOL!

I have one of their $65, 16", 300BO barrels in an odd 1:10 twist that I've mentioned before on here.  It has turned out to be my primary hunting rifle for coyotes and pigs in river bottom, wooded terrain where no shot will exceed 200 yards using home loaded 110g V-Max supersonic.  The accuracy of this barrel is always under MOA from a bench when sighted in.  I have a threaded Glock 17 from them also that shoots as well as my factory barrel that cost $57.  Go figure.

I have barrels costing hundreds of dollars, so I appreciate quality...and they delivered.  I said I certainly wouldn't consider BCA for anything precision, but I do have one of their offerings on a precision gun.  They make a nice, affordable, side-charger, AR15 upper with a nice nitride BCG.  It resides in a 24" bull barrel 5.56 bench gun that is a tack driver.

They say you get what you pay for, and with BCA barrels that can be the case, and then in some cases you'll get way more than what you paid for.  For those who want guaranteed results without having to backtrack with a possible return, then definitely go with another barrel manufacturer.
View Quote
^^^

This.

I think there is better luck with their 5.56/.223 Wylde barrels then there are with other chamberings.

I have a .223 wild 10.5" that's more than acceptable for it's intended purpose. I did get a 24" 6.5G that was a dud, replaced it with one of their 20" 5R's and it's pretty decent
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top