Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2018 9:03:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial]
I'm looking for a quality 22"-24" barrel either in 6.5CM or .260Rem (haven't decided yet) that is nitrided, threaded, AND has extended gas length. If I go 22" I was tinking I'd select select +1XL or if 24" I'll probably select +2XL. I've read ALOT of great things from people that went with Criterion or Ballistic Advantage and they provide 22" Nitrided barrels... but they're rifle length gas. I know you can configure X-Caliber barrels with nitride and a +1XL length... but I've heard some mixed reviews of their recent production.

What other options do I have?

Or am I making too big of a deal about needing an extended gas length... should I just get a Criterion/BA barrel and use a good adjustable gas block?
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 9:07:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Keyst0ne] [#1]
JP

https://jprifles.com/1.4.1_barrel.php

Not nitrided though
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 9:11:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Keyst0ne:
JP

https://jprifles.com/1.4.1_barrel.php

Not nitrided though
View Quote
Deal breaker for me unless there's some other factor (like a crazy deal too good to pass up).
I'd rather deal with fighting a rifle gas length before giving up on the nitriding.... but if what I wan't isn't out there then I'll start looking at conventional SS offerings.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 10:25:41 PM EDT
[#3]
LaRue has both .260 Rem and 6.5CM with +2 gas.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 9:40:01 PM EDT
[#4]
The nitride part is wise throws a kink in things. Maybe try calling compass lake engineering and see if they can make you a Criterion one in that configuration
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 4:22:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:
View Quote
Really? did not know that. OP seriously consider a Larue barrel. I believe they are nitrided.

OP I can say my Larue out shoots my Bartlein and my Shilen on my .223. Don't have experience with their .264 barrels but I wouldn't hesitate.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 4:48:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Torchy:
Really? did not know that. OP seriously consider a Larue barrel. I believe they are nitrided.

OP I can say my Larue out shoots my Bartlein and my Shilen on my .223. Don't have experience with their .264 barrels but I wouldn't hesitate.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Torchy:
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:

I must be a ‘tard... can someone link this for me?

I’m not seeing barrels-only for sale on the LT webpage.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 6:17:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Pneumagger:

I must be a ‘tard... can someone link this for me?

I’m not seeing barrels-only for sale on the LT webpage.
View Quote
I don't think they sell the 6.5 barrels separate. Gotta be part of the ultimate upper deal.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 7:24:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By robpiat:

I don't think they sell the 6.5 barrels separate. Gotta be part of the ultimate upper deal.
View Quote

Not buying a whole upper to cannibalize for the barrel.

I think I decided that it’ll be less than half the cost of a 6.5mm AR to rebarrel my 308 bolt gun and have the action printed and trued while I’m at it. Reusing the stock, rings and glass saves a bunch vs buying a whole other AR... probably more accurate too
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 5:53:30 PM EDT
[#9]
You're probably going to end up having to get one custom made given your requirements.

There are places to get barrel extensions for LR-6.5s, grab one of those and have a smith spin you a barrel from something cut rifled; then have it nitrided.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 5:57:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SuperDutyMikeMc:
You're probably going to end up having to get one custom made given your requirements.

There are places to get barrel extensions for LR-6.5s, grab one of those and have a smith spin you a barrel from something cut rifled; then have it nitrided.
View Quote
That going to cost you. A lot.

I did something similar minus the nitriding and it was $900.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 7:12:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By robpiat:

View Quote
They’re selling 260 barrels now as part of a sale. But, they are 399$ for the tobr rifles.

For around 550$ you can have a Bartlein chambered and threaded with your desired gas system from a few shops.

I’m happy with my BA 6.5creed. It routinely produces sub .5moa 5 shot groups. A few weeks back it produced a .72moa 10 shot group with factory Hornady ammo, using a bipod and rear squeeze bag and at least 2 of the shots were pulled due to hot brass rolling up against my firing arm. That barrel is likely the best 200$ I’ve ever spent.

I wouldn’t worry too much about nitriding the barrel for a precision rifle.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 2:21:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:

View Quote
You got ripped off.
I once had McGowan Precision make me a .308win AR10 barrel from scratch 5 years ago before long-for-length gas ports were popular ... it was <$300 shipped.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 3:07:43 AM EDT
[#13]
You got ripped off.
I once had McGowan Precision make me a .308win AR10 barrel from scratch 5 years ago before long-for-length gas ports were popular ... it was <$300 shipped.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:

You got ripped off.
Must have been a $5 blank.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 4:28:42 PM EDT
[#14]
FWIW - I believe the LaRue large frame barrels have a proprietary extension that only fits their uppers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top