Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2018 11:39:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 77Bronc]
This is as close as I am going to get to the SR25, for now...just finished installing the scope...pending rain, will try to take it out tomorrow

LaRue 762 OBR
NIghtforce 4-16 ATACR
Silencerco Omega
LaRue-Harris bipod
LaRue MBT trigger
Slash XH buffer and spring

I am satisfied with how it turned out....this set up is heavy, was before I added the 2 LB scope.  I had major issues with the OBR earlier, cycling with the suppressor, even with the Port Selector to suppressed.  Had to install a Slash XH to get it to cycle, and even now does not like 7.62 FGGM 175 grain.  The only ammo that seems to work is .308 FGMM 168 grain.  Blackhills 168 Match is also OK, but FGMM is the best.

Attachment Attached File

Will post better outdoor pictures today

Link Posted: 5/26/2018 1:04:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Well where are the the pics?
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 6:27:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I clicked expecting pictures. All I see is a bunch of letters.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 6:39:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ARShooter91:
I clicked expecting pictures. All I see is a bunch of letters.
View Quote
My mistake....as I was posting. I thought I added the picture. Long day yesterday.

Picture added...

Link Posted: 5/26/2018 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By 77Bronc:

My mistake....as I was posting. I thought I added the picture. Long day yesterday.

Picture added...

View Quote
Looks good! Have you tried any Hornady 178g or 155g? What is the twist on the OBR barrels?
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 9:12:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 77Bronc] [#5]

Looks good! Have you tried any Hornady 178g or 155g? What is the twist on the OBR barrels?
View Quote
Actually shot some Hornady today, cycled perfect.  Was shooting 168 (I almost sure, will have to check)

Had major issues with my new Larue LT111 scope mount, has the VFZ locking mechanism, it was coming loose after every 5 to 10 rounds, I am not too pleased.  Plan on calling them this week.

The twist is 1/10, 16"

Link Posted: 5/27/2018 12:24:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Actually shot some Hornady today, cycled perfect.  Was shooting 168 (I almost sure, will have to check)

Had major issues with my new Larue LT111 scope mount, has the VFZ locking mechanism, it was coming loose after every 5 to 10 rounds, I am not too pleased.  Plan on calling them this week.

The twist is 1/10, 16"

View Quote
I have one with the VFZ mount. I haven't had an issue but I Loctite everything. I also cranked them down pretty tight.
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 7:51:51 PM EDT
[#7]

I have one with the VFZ mount. I haven't had an issue but I Loctite everything. I also cranked them down pretty tight.
View Quote
Look down the rail between the pic rail and the engaging portion of the VFZ and you will see a very small engaging contact point, almost a knife edge.

Now when I installed the mount, I used a torque value comparable to the screw size....at the range the scope was moving so much, I was shooting a three inch group at 50 yards on a rifle that will shoot .75" at 100, I know I did it all of the time when the Trijicon scope was on the rifle.

The mount is going back.

Link Posted: 5/27/2018 8:37:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Look down the rail between the pic rail and the engaging portion of the VFZ and you will see a very small engaging contact point, almost a knife edge.

Now when I installed the mount, I used a torque value comparable to the screw size....at the range the scope was moving so much, I was shooting a three inch group at 50 yards on a rifle that will shoot .75" at 100, I know I did it all of the time when the Trijicon scope was on the rifle.

The mount is going back.

View Quote
I'd get a good cross-bolt  mount to replace it. Even a cheap Warne works great.
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 11:16:17 PM EDT
[#9]

I'd get a good cross-bolt  mount to replace it. Even a cheap Warne works great.
View Quote
Looking at the Geiselle mount now, I hear nothing but good about these.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 5:25:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I really like adm for ad, but for more precision oriented ar's I like badger ordnance unimount.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 3:56:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 77Bronc] [#11]
Originally Posted By DH243:l
I really like adm for ad, but for more precision oriented ar's I like badger ordnance unimount.
View Quote
Update:

Returned the LT

I looked for days, not kidding, for a 34 mm mount, 0 MOA, 1.5 center line height.

Called the following manufacturers:

ADM
Geiselle
Nightforce
Badger Ordnance

In addition, called Primary Arms, Euro Optics, Optics Planet and a few others...no luck

Only find a BO in stock...actually when I called BO, the owner Mr. Marty answered the phone and we had a great conversation.

I ordered the 306-64 Unimount, it will be here Tuesday.  To be clear, Triad Tactical actually had it stock, Mr. Marty told me to call them, he knew they had some,  I think they are across town from each other.  Not the first time I have dealt with TT, they are great, very quick to ship, excellent to talk to.

I have BO on my bolt guns along with their bases, they are built as good as it gets, never an issue.  The BO from TT was about $140 cheaper than the Geiselle.

As soon as it gets in and installed, I will post better pictures.

Link Posted: 6/3/2018 4:14:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Frost7] [#12]
I don't mean to be that guy, but... if you want an SR-25, you spent well beyond SR-25 money on this setup. Slap 1/2 to 2/3 value of that scope alone onto the top of the OBR, and bang, real deal KAC SR-25.

What I'm saying is your topic is "As Close as I'm Going to Get to a SR25" when one is easily within your reach.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 6:39:31 AM EDT
[#13]

The twist is 1/10, 16"

View Quote
That is very odd. I’ve got many of the VFZs and haven’t had an issue. I’d be interested in more details.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 4:34:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Cheapest I've seen a new out of the box SR-25 is just North of 4K

The OBR is cheaper by better than $800.00

Knights makes good stuff but are way over priced.

You did well with the OBR and from what I have seen the Larue is more accurate.  Don't think twice about your choice.

Disclaimer...Accuracy is subjective to ammo, weather conditions and the skill of the shooter.  My experience was from different days but shot the same ammo at the same distances.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 12:20:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 77Bronc] [#15]
Originally Posted By Frost7:
I don't mean to be that guy, but... if you want an SR-25, you spent well beyond SR-25 money on this setup. Slap 1/2 to 2/3 value of that scope alone onto the top of the OBR, and bang, real deal KAC SR-25.

What I'm saying is your topic is "As Close as I'm Going to Get to a SR25" when one is easily within your reach.
View Quote
Frost you can be that guy. I appreciate your candor.   When I started down this road was trying to get into a precision 762  rifle.   KAC was not on the radar at the time.   Without going into all the details knowing what I know now, I wish I would have just went down the SR25 route...you can all tell from the photo I am north of $7K invested so far....well above a SR25.

I recently purchased a used SR15 on the EE. Not in my hands yet.  So just getting statred down the KAC rabbit hole.

I will be 60 in August and my wife is buying me another KAC for my birthday, more than likely will be a SR25.

Thanks for the feedback. Will be posting more pictures this week. The  Badger Ordnanace Unimount came in last night.

Quick update pic:  Came home early, installed the BO Unimount.  Used a machinist bubble level to get the scope and rifle pic rail within .001"

Attachment Attached File

Will add more pictures this weekend

Link Posted: 6/5/2018 7:47:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Here...I'll put you a little closer to an SR-25.

Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:44:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 77Bronc] [#17]
Originally Posted By The-Ant1-Liberal:
Here...I'll put you a little closer to an SR-25.

https://i.imgur.com/SkUqkrv.jpg
View Quote
Yes thats the ticket....a Vero Beach KAC....

Very nice set up, I am jealous, a little
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 12:15:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 77Bronc] [#18]
Took the rifle out this morning...with the new Badger Ordnance Unimount.  Also brought along my Fat Wrench to check the torque after a few rounds.

Bipod, no rear bag, FGMM, I am not the best shot...target at 100 yards.

First three rounds high left

Attachment Attached File

Did some calcs, wanted POI 1.5" low

Made one move, left and down,

POI right where I wanted it...

Attachment Attached File

11 rounds of FGMM,  also did some testing with Blackhills.   The OBR is built around 168 FGMM, that is what it likes, always has

Had to pack up, thunderstorms....
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 6:11:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Took the rifle out this morning...with the new Badger Ordnance Unimount.  Also brought along my Fat Wrench to check the torque after a few rounds.

Bipod, no rear bag, FGMM, I am not the best shot...target at 100 yards.

First three rounds high left

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/16476/image-571333.JPG

Did some calcs, wanted POI 1.5" low

Made one move, left and down,

POI right where I wanted it...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/16476/image-571337.JPG

11 rounds of FGMM,  also did some testing with Blackhills.   The OBR is built around 168 FGMM, that is what it likes, always has

Had to pack up, thunderstorms....
View Quote
Awesome results.  What more could a guy ask for?  You should be proud of that setup....it's damn sweet!!!
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 9:52:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By desertmoon:

Awesome results.  What more could a guy ask for?  You should be proud of that setup....it's damn sweet!!!
View Quote
I am proud of the set up and thanks for the compliments, I do appreciate it....quiet a lot of money invested.   I looked at a brand new SR25 last weekend.  $5000 out the door.  This LaRue set up will print less than 3/4".

I am pleased.  The road to get here was not smooth...a number of issues with the LaRue rifle.  Growing pains and had to invest in a Slash buffer to get it to run suppressed.  Other cycling issues too.  But all is good now.

Thanks,

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top