Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2018 2:58:57 PM EDT
So as the title says, I am looking to do a 224 Valkyrie build.  My first choice in barrel is JP but they all are XL gas tube length.  Not that I have anything wrong with XL tubes, but the rail i have is only 15" long and im pretty sure my gas block (tube) will be sticking out past the rail.  I was going to look for a LaRue but I dont think they are selling any barrels only.  Can anyone else recommend another company?  I was looking at W.O.A. but all i see is 18" and 24".  I was wanting to keep the barrel length at 20 or 22 inches.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 5:56:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Ive been debating on getting a Proof research 22cal blank then having it cut and chambered for 224V.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 9:35:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Lmk if they do that.  I'd prefer a JP barrel but proof is good too.  I'd just prefer a reg rifle length gas system.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 7:45:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Proof research has .224 valk carbon fiber barrels listed as coming soon on their site. They have 3 gas length options: rifle length, rifle +1, and rifle +2, which I assume are inches.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 7:01:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Call WOA and ask if they can cut one at your desired length, they are great to work with.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 11:33:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#5]
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 6:48:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought the xl gas system was +2? If so, that will fit under a 15", seeing that a rlgs will fit under a 12". If you like rlgs good, but indications are that .224V shooting heavies will be happiest with a +2 and 1:6 to 6.5" twist. Just something to consider.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 1:39:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Larue and Bison Armory have 20" rifle length gas barrels.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 3:20:07 PM EDT
[#8]
What's wrong with seeing the gas block? Makes it a hell of a lot easier to adjust most of them if it's not buried underneath. I'm running a Craddock Precision 22" with +2 gas and about 2/3 of my gas block sticks out. Doesn't bother me one bit and I'd rather have the function of the proper gas system length than hiding the block. Just my $.02.

If you call Craddock I'm sure they'll make you whatever you want but you're probably going to be on your own if it doesn't work as well.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 8:30:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By hiih8r:
What's wrong with seeing the gas block? Makes it a hell of a lot easier to adjust most of them if it's not buried underneath. I'm running a Craddock Precision 22" with +2 gas and about 2/3 of my gas block sticks out. Doesn't bother me one bit and I'd rather have the function of the proper gas system length than hiding the block. Just my $.02.

If you call Craddock I'm sure they'll make you whatever you want but you're probably going to be on your own if it doesn't work as well.
View Quote
If it was just the gas block sticking out some I wouldn't mind as much.   I'm meaning when the gas block and an inch or so of the gas tube sticking out past the rail.

Either way, I went with the LaRue Valkyrie barrel.  I got the POF dictator gas block as well.  I have 1 already on my 10.5 abd like it.  Plus  I got this 1 for 80 shipped.  Figured since I have a POF upper/rail I'll just go with their gas block.  The rifle is complete minus glass, but since it's summer in put I won't shoot this rifle till October.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 8:45:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hiih8r] [#10]
Originally Posted By azmp5:

If it was just the gas block sticking out some I wouldn't mind as much.   I'm meaning when the gas block and an inch or so of the gas tube sticking out past the rail.

Either way, I went with the LaRue Valkyrie barrel.  I got the POF dictator gas block as well.  I have 1 already on my 10.5 abd like it.  Plus  I got this 1 for 80 shipped.  Figured since I have a POF upper/rail I'll just go with their gas block.  The rifle is complete minus glass, but since it's summer in put I won't shoot this rifle till October.
View Quote
I'm running a rifle +2" gas system and a 15" Seekins SP3R rail and there is no gas tube in front of the rail. Like I said in my original post, a portion of the gas block is still under the rail.

Link Posted: 6/5/2018 11:18:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By hiih8r:

I'm running a rifle +2" gas system and a 15" Seekins SP3R rail and there is no gas tube in front of the rail. Like I said in my original post, a portion of the gas block is still under the rail.
View Quote
Thanks for posting that picture, I was also very curious what a +2 would look like under a 15” rail.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 5:32:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By azmp5:

View Quote
How'd you get larue to sell you the barrel? They don't have any valk barrels on their site.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 10:46:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I guess LaRue sold them a while ago and you had to be on some "list" to be even allowed to order them.  On not on that list but did find 1 of the barrels
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 8:59:59 AM EDT
[#14]
I like my Bison Armory 20" 1:6.5 twist SPR barrel. Sub MOA groups @ 100.

Great deal for $220 shipped.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top