Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2018 2:48:52 AM EDT
I have a 20" 6.5 Grendel barrel, rifle length gas.

I am looking to cut it back a bit for suppressor use, as well as to make certain threads are as they should be.

Looking to see if anyone here has any experience going back past the 18" mark.  Can I get away with 17" or so without any reliability issues?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 10:14:15 AM EDT
[#1]
You will get better answers here.... Grendel forum
I just received my 12.5 upper last week.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 1:05:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Just last weekend we had consistent hits at 500 yards with a 12.5”.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 2:50:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess I should clarify,

Will cutting back the barrel to, say 16" or 17" raise any issues with the rifle length gas system?

I thought I saw someone on arf com post that they had done something similar, but not sure.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 4:52:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I think everyone is missing the fact about reliable operation.

What’s the worst that could happen? Drill your port larger if need be? Depending on manufacturer it’s probably over gassed to begin with. Chop it and see what happens.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 4:15:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By MT_Mauser:
I have a 20" 6.5 Grendel barrel, rifle length gas.

I am looking to cut it back a bit for suppressor use, as well as to make certain threads are as they should be.

Looking to see if anyone here has any experience going back past the 18" mark.  Can I get away with 17" or so without any reliability issues?

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

18" is probably the shortest I would go with RLGS.

You might have to open up your gas port to get reliable feeding.

The Grendel bore is a lot bigger than a 5.56 bore, so gas exits a lot more easily.

Intermediate Length Gas is about optimum for 18" as it has a nice balance of port location and plug dwell.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top