Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2017 8:45:50 PM EDT
Hi all,
Trying to enter the semi auto precision club.
Jumped on the deal and picked up a gen 2 PSA 10, 18" free float.
Idk if these are the most accurate rifles or not, but I brought mine to the range today to break in.
Used off the shelf soft point hunting ammo (not match grade, but not garbage).
Followed a regiment of clean, 1 round, clean 1 round ect. Followed by 5 rounds clean, 5 rounds clean, etc.
Did this close at first, 25 yards, and made nice tight groups.
Got out to about 50 yards are so, zeroed it in, and had a real nice group. 3 rounds all touching, just a mm or 2 above my POA, with 1 flier.

Backed it out to 100, and I expected to get maybe 1-2 MOA based on my 50 yard shots.
Nope, prob about 4-5" MOA. Unfortunately I didn't have time or ammo to keep going, but I will be returning to the range soon to trial and error.

Any ideas? Is this normal?

I'd prefer not to have to replace the barrel, but if I have to get a match barrel I will.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 8:53:29 PM EDT
[#1]
You won't know what potential you gun has until you shoot some quality ammo, FGMM is a good starting point. Shoot some quality ammo then start analyzing what you have.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 9:45:50 PM EDT
[#2]
What glass are you running?  The AR10 beats the hell out poor optics. But I agree with the above poster they seem to like quality ammo.  My DPMS likes 150gr SST in front of Varget and a Federal or Remington primer. If you switch to winchester or cci the group's grow. It also likes 168gr bkackhills.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:49:58 AM EDT
[#3]
New barrel, hunting ammo & only one group at a 100... Pick one
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:40:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FALex] [#4]
I'm sorry, OP, but I when speaking in terms of "precision" gas guns, PSA is not even a consideration.  Mind you, I am not trying to be some haughty douche bag.  PSA AR's have their place, but to expect them to shoot sub MOA (even under 2 minutes, IMHO), is expecting a whole lot.

With most precision rifles, you've got your barrel and trigger as having the most prolific impact on your accuracy.  When speaking AR's, you've also got the gas system, BCG included, which equals more pressure and movement on the gun.  For the price they are asking, I seriously doubt PSA is using anything that is close to quality in terms of their components.  You couldn't even purchase a JP barrel for the cost of that entire rifle.  Again, I'm not talking shit, I'm sure it's a great rifle and it will work just fine, but it's likely not a precision rifle.

Lastly, if you really want to see what kind of accuracy you can get out of it, you're going to need to shoot some FGMM through it, likely the 168's.  Furthermore, a good trigger will help you in your endeavor.  

I know it's awesome to say, "this is my precision rifle," but we have to be careful to not water that definition down just because it sounds cool.

If it shoots AT LEAST several 5 round 1/2 minute groups, then you I think you would be clear to label it a precision rifle.

JP and GAP charge about 3-4k for their gas guns.  And yes, those are definitely precision rifles.  I think my email ad from PSA had me into their .308 for about 7-800.00.  If a PSA shoots alongside those bad boys, they best amp up production.

ETA - what optics and mount are you running and does this rifle have an adjustable gas block?
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 4:40:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I agree. I'm not expecting a sub MOA gun.

What bewilders me is that I went from a tight, all rounds touching group at 50, to a 4-5 MOA group at 100.

Took it out again with Malaysian Surplus (ammo I had) and got about 5-6" MOA at 100. Next outing I will get some GMM ammo, and confirm.

I don't expect to get sub MOA out of it and just as you pointed out for the price it is what it is. I don't have the capital to sink thousands into a rifle. I wouldn't mind swapping out barrels if that would help, and I will be smoothing out the trigger when time allows.

Optic is not a top notch optic. Primary Arms 4-16x mil Dot with an aero 1 piece mount. It's not bad for the cost.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 2:39:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Where's the pics?
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:49:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FALex] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Pav56C:
I agree. I'm not expecting a sub MOA gun.

What bewilders me is that I went from a tight, all rounds touching group at 50, to a 4-5 MOA group at 100.

Took it out again with Malaysian Surplus (ammo I had) and got about 5-6" MOA at 100. Next outing I will get some GMM ammo, and confirm.

I don't expect to get sub MOA out of it and just as you pointed out for the price it is what it is. I don't have the capital to sink thousands into a rifle. I wouldn't mind swapping out barrels if that would help, and I will be smoothing out the trigger when time allows.

Optic is not a top notch optic. Primary Arms 4-16x mil Dot with an aero 1 piece mount. It's not bad for the cost.

Thanks
View Quote
That's fine, but when you said you were trying to get started into the semi-auto precision rifle game, I understood that as you were hoping for a half minute rifle.  

To be quite honest, you're just spinning your wheels trying to figure something like your groups opening up when you're shooting Malaysian Surplus ammo.  I don't think anyone on this board who is an experienced PR shooter would even hazard a guess at your issue until you use some quality ammo.  I mean shit dude, at least throw in some Winchester White box or something.  I am guessing the Malaysian Surplus is 147gr Ball ammo, which was truly meant for machine guns.  

Are you a reloader?  I am, been doing it for about 8-9 years now.  I'm pretty damn anal, not F Class anal, but anal enough to get fucking irritated when I dissect some of Hornady's 6.5 Creedmoor "match" ammo and see up to 3 grains worth of spread in charge weights, seating depths wiggling up and down, as much as up to .008", etc, etc...suffice to say, if Hornady has that much slop in their factory "match" ammo (which is still really good factory ammo, by the way), we cannot even begin to fathom how fucked up and shotty some surplus Malaysian .308 garbage is.  I promise man, don't sweat your group size with that shit.

Assuming your optics are working well, everything is belted in good, and you're a decent marksman, I'd expect to see 1.5-2 minutes with your rifle.  However, I cannot stress enough how much more precise you will become once you install a good trigger in your rifle.  It will be a dramatic difference.  

On a side note, some other good ammo for 7.62 is Black Hills Match.

Now I'm invested, you better keep us (me) up to date!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top