Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
ARP barrels (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/29/2014 4:24:47 AM EDT
Hey all, so just ordered myself a 16" ARperformance socom profile fluted barrel. Wondering if anyome has any experience with this barrel and is accuracy potential.  Going on a aero4e1 upper and a 12" enhanced keymod rail.  Thanks yall
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:20:38 AM EDT
[#1]
You won't find a more accurate barrel. I have two of H's SOCOM barrels, one in 6.8 and one in .223 Wylde. Everyone I know praises them, even competitive shooters.

I have three loads that are in the .400 at 100 with the 6.8, and two that are just over .500.

I've only worked up one load with the .223, but with cheap Hornady 55gr fmjbt I got .175 at 50 yards with a 4X scope. That load is usually around 1.5 moa at 100 in  everything else.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:05:43 AM EDT
[#2]
This past summer I replaced the marginally performing FN barrel on my 6.8 hunting rifle with an ARP 16" Scout Profile and wow, what a difference. The ARP barrel is very accurate with minimal poi shift when switching between a few different loadings from SSA. It exceeded my expectations and now I wait impatiently for the 12.5" 6.8 barrels to be back in stock for my upcoming SBR-suppressed 6.8 build. I think you'll be pleased with your new barrel.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:36:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I just ordered an 18" fluted ARP barrel in .264 LBC.  

It looks very good, and I will soon determine if it shoots as good as it looks.

I'll post up my groups in the 1 moa all day thread in about three weeks.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 2:13:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Face454:
I just ordered an 18" fluted ARP barrel in .264 LBC.  

It looks very good, and I will soon determine if it shoots as good as it looks.

I'll post up my groups in the 1 moa all day thread in about three weeks.
View Quote

i was SOOOO tempted to go this route instead of 556 but figured id wait for his six5 to come out.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 2:19:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By eric496:

This past summer I replaced the marginally performing FN barrel on my 6.8 hunting rifle with an ARP 16" Scout Profile and wow, what a difference. The ARP barrel is very accurate with minimal poi shift when switching between a few different loadings from SSA. It exceeded my expectations and now I wait impatiently for the 12.5" 6.8 barrels to be back in stock for my upcoming SBR-suppressed 6.8 build. I think you'll be pleased with your new barrel.
View Quote
12.5" 6.8's are awesome:

ARP makes a good bolt as well.  The only other 6.8 bolt I would recommend is the LWRC.

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 3:44:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Is there any special break in procedure I need to do with his barrel?
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 4:02:04 PM EDT
[#7]
There's no preferred method, but don't use a wire brush to clean the bore, use nylon if you need one at all.

Cleaning and break in
Just keep the copper cleaned out of the barrel. Use a good foaming copper cleaner every time you come back from the range. A blue patch means there is some copper fouling in the bore so you should continue to clean until the patch comes out white. At some point after a few hundred shots the barrel will copper foul less and become easier /faster to clean each time. When the day arrives that you clean and no blue comes out you can ease off of the cleaning and shoot until the barrel loses accuracy, when it does clean it again. Keeping the copper out so a good layer of carbon can coat the bore is the objective.

Melonite treated barrels exterior
In November we changed companies doing the Melonite treatment. The new company rinses the barrels much better and applies a coat of oil. The color seems much more consistent than the barrels treated by Bodycoat. If you want to keep the deep black gloss finish do not use a strong solvent on the outside of the barrel, just wipe it off with a light oil. If you want a non glare finish wipe them off with alcohol. It will evaporate quick and dull the finish.

Let me add, don't use Froglube, it will / can dull the finish on the melonite barrel.

Honestly, these barrels are really easy to clean, really don't get as bad as the chrome barrels I have. I use Butch's Bore Shine personally.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 11:01:51 PM EDT
[#8]
My ARP barrel in 6.8 is sub MOA most of the time. It doesn't like the 120 gr Hornady SST, but still gets 1.5 MOA groups with them.

The best copper solvent I've used is KG12.

It's just plain awesome and its non toxic. The only thing is since it doesn't have ammonia it won't turn the patch blue.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 3:50:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a 20" .223  wylde barrel of theirs and will say I am impressed, I didn't have high hopes for it being a little over 200 bucks.    Wouldn't hesitate to buy another one that's for sure.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 12:41:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By rlo:
I have a 20" .223  wylde barrel of theirs and will say I am impressed, I didn't have high hopes for it being a little over 200 bucks.    Wouldn't hesitate to buy another one that's for sure.
View Quote

what kind of accuracy are you seeing?
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 5:49:39 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

Would you be able to shoot the MOA all day challenge with that ARP barrel?  I am super curious too as I almost bought one.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 6:48:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Would you be able to shoot the MOA all day challenge with that ARP barrel?  I am super curious too as I almost bought one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Oh yes. I don't know of anyone that doesn't have any sub MOA loads for their ARP barrels.

They are very carefully picked and machined, hand lapped, polished etc. They are really more of a custom barrel, he just doesn't try to make a killing on them.

If you go over to 68forums you'll see a ton of people with them in all calibers, shooting incredible groups.

Link Posted: 12/10/2014 1:37:11 AM EDT
[#13]
That is very good news to hear on the accuracy of these barrels. I just took delivery of the 18 inch 3gun fluted barrel he sells and it was a super tight fit to the upper receiver , as in I had to heat the receiver otherwise the barrel only went in about 1/4 inch if that. Will try and post groups after the new year when I have a break from work and a chance to shot.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 10:58:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By pavlovwolf:

Oh yes. I don't know of anyone that doesn't have any sub MOA loads for their ARP barrels.

They are very carefully picked and machined, hand lapped, polished etc. They are really more of a custom barrel, he just doesn't try to make a killing on them.

If you go over to 68forums you'll see a ton of people with them in all calibers, shooting incredible groups.

View All Quotes

Please post some groups with .223 Wylde ARP barrel.  I'll do the same in this thread with my .264 LBC in two weeks.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 12:05:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pavlovwolf] [#15]
This is all I have on the 223 Wylde. There are 5 holes there, though you can only see three. Five were in the wood table that is behind the targets m by about two feet, but in front of the berm. I had to go up and check it after I shot it.

Now this is only 50 yards, and with a 1x4 scope set on 4X, but this is also not a "target" bullet. It's just the cheap 55gr Hornady fmj/bt. I'm not going to assume that this load will be exactly .350 at 100 yards, but I expect it to be very close to MOA. I had a load with Varget that was near MOA with some barrels, most being 1.5 and under with just chrome lined barrels, but I didn't have this particular rifle. I suspect with a true high grade target bullet that I can find a few loads that will be sub moa.

My 6.8 has several, with the 90TNT being .420 at 100 yards, and three others being between .500-.650.

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 2:14:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Got my barrel in last week. SOOO stoked to get it to the range!:) putting a 2.5-10 Vortex Viper PST on it!
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:47:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Face454] [#17]
Originally Posted By USAF007:
Got my barrel in last week. SOOO stoked to get it to the range!:) putting a 2.5-10 Vortex Viper PST on it!
View Quote

Post dem groups!  You know... when you can.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 8:28:25 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't have any pics, mine will shoot  moa.   I haven't spent that much time on load development so I'm sure it could get much better.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 6:05:20 PM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes

Haha I will ASAP, still waiting for the washers for my flash hider to come in
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 7:01:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Update for you all.  

The .264 ARP barrel is short stroking with factory Hornady 123 AMAX.

So I can't post groups for a while until it is fixed.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:35:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bobweaver] [#21]
I'm not one to fanboy myself into the corner for any one particular product or manufacturer, but I have no shame when it comes to touting ARP.  My work toolbox is loaded with H's 5.56 and 6.8 offerings and I would feel confident in saying that I put more rounds through ARP barrels than 99% of his customers.  There are currently 27 rifles in our inventory and 17 are sporting ARP barrels and superbolts. The remaining 10 rifles are LaRue, Noveske, one RRA, one Legion and an old as hell Bushmaster Superlite that I'll never get rid of. Point is, is that I do a bunch of shooting at more than paper and want speed and efficiency, and although the ammo plays a major part, the thing slinging that hot lead (better yet solid copper) is just as important.

Enjoy your ARP OP.

ETA:  Meant to say hi to Pavlov. Miss you guys over at 68forum but some of the moderators aren't so friendly.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:53:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pavlovwolf] [#22]
Howdy.

So is this LEO, hog killing, or .gov, DEA etc? Can you say?

Also, which are your most accurate guns? I know H doesn't claim it's a precision barrel, but he explains that by giving an exact criteria for what he call a precision/competition barrel, which is way higher than a large number of barrels being sold as precision. His barrels actually exceed many of them in measurable quality specs, but he won't sell something with that nomenclature unless it exceeds the standards he considers to be precision/competition. He does sell a handful of barrels of that type, and advertises them as such, but those aren't the standard ARP Recons and the like.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:12:49 PM EDT
[#23]
There's no preferred method, but don't use a wire brush to clean the bore, use nylon if you need one at all.
View Quote

pavlovwolf or anyone else, can you explain why you say wire brushes shouldn't be used?

Thanks.

HighSpeedSteel
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:19:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Just make sure to check the bore, when done.
And don't use A SS brush
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 7:04:45 AM EDT
[#25]
I do use a nylon brush occasionally, but it's very rare that you'll ever need more than patches.

Use a good foaming bore cleaner, H recommends

6.8 & Misc

Tips & Troubleshooting

Break in and cleaning-

Just keep the copper cleaned out of the barrel. Use a good foaming copper cleaner every time you come back from the range. A blue patch means there is some copper fouling in the bore so you should continue to clean until the patch comes out white.  At some point after a few hundred shots the barrel will copper foul less and become easier /faster to clean each time. When the day arrives that you clean and no blue comes out you can ease off of the cleaning and shoot until the barrel loses accuracy, when it does clean it again. Keeping the copper out so a good layer of carbon can coat the bore is the objective.

I generally only use a brush, a nylon one if I have fired a few hundred rounds at a time. I use Butch's Bore Shine, a little CLP in that case. Normal cleaning I just use a  Foam cleaner if I have it on hand. I use patches 99% of the time though.

You'll find these barrels clean very, very easily.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 9:32:28 PM EDT
[#26]
guys, finger fucking the rifle tonight, I'm noting some slight surface rust in the bore/muzzle of my barrel already. Havn't taken it shooting yet, havnn't done shit with it yet. Just put it on, lubed the BCG(slip200 EWL) and thats it. What gives? Thing has been sitting in my humidity controlled basement since i got it?
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 10:23:56 PM EDT
[#27]
My 6.8 ARP barrel is the easiest barrel I've ever cleaned.

I also highly recommend KG12 to clean the copper fouling.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 7:19:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Jerry] [#28]
Hey all, so just ordered myself a 16" ARperformance socom profile fluted barrel. Wondering if anyome has any experience with this barrel and is accuracy potential.  Going on a aero4e1 upper and a 12" enhanced keymod rail.  Thanks yall
View Quote

Good choice.  Have three (3) in 6.8 SPC:

18" Target Crown
14 1/2" threaded
12 1/2" threaded waiting for a Saker 7.62 who's in jail.

Great barrels and may I suggest Harrison's superbolt also.

50 yards with the 18" eating 95 TTSX's.  Both are 5 shot groups.  Barrel will out shoot me which isn't hard to do.

</a>" />
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 12:41:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lennyo3034] [#29]
This thread has me tempted to get one for a RECCE. How's the accuracy on these barrels with cheaper ammo? Will they shoot 1.5 MOA with the better quality FMJ? Looking at running Geco or AE 50gr varmint out to 300 yards. Both of which shoot MOA or better with my SPR.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:20:35 PM EDT
[#30]
While I havn't taken mine out yet, everything i have read has these barrels shooting 1moa or better.

Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:
This thread has me tempted to get one for a RECCE. How's the accuracy on these barrels with cheaper ammo? Will they shoot 1.5 MOA with the better quality FMJ? Looking at running Geco or AE 50gr varmint out to 300 yards. Both of which shoot MOA or better with my SPR.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 4:56:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUSSCVR] [#31]
I dont have much experience with it yet, but I just purchased an 18" 6.5 Grendel barrel and bolt from ARP for a new build. Went to the range yesterday with some Hornady 123gr. SST factory loads. Shot a five shot group that ended up being 0.399" and a 10 shot group that was just a hair over 3/4MOA, both at 100yds. I think the barrel has promise.

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 5:07:20 PM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes

You know one now. My ARP 6.8 barrel was a dog. I wound up selling it off. I replaced it with a WOA, and now I'm happy.

-ZA
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 6:02:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By ZA206:

You know one now. My ARP 6.8 barrel was a dog. I wound up selling it off. I replaced it with a WOA, and now I'm happy.

-ZA
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ZA206:

-ZA

WOA makes good barrels. They or Bison would be my second choice, first choice for anything H doesn't make.

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:07:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Face454] [#34]
Update:  BOTH 6.5 Grendel barrels from ARP short stroke.  

Looks like it is on me to make it work via drilling the gas port as every other option has been exhausted.

This is not something I have done before because all my other builds functioned from the get go.  

I hope I don't fuck it up.

I find it irritating that I have to drill the gas port to use the ammo that was recommended on the ARP site.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:06:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Have you tried contacting H over at ARP about the issue? Seems like he has some pretty good QC. I actually still havn't been able to take the damn thing out and shoot it lol

Looks like it is on me to make it work via drilling the gas port as every other option has been exhausted.

This is not something I have done before because all my other builds functioned from the get go.  

I find it irritating that I have to drill the gas port to use the ammo that was recommended on the ARP site.

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:11:11 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote
Is this factory ammunition or reloads?  I would call H and discuss the problem with him.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:19:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Yup, everyone i have talked to that has any of his stuff says he is a stand up guy that will take care of his customers.

Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
Is this factory ammunition or reloads?  I would call H and discuss the problem with him.

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 4:16:42 PM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

123 grain Hornady Match ammo that was specifically recommended on the ARP site.

I talked to him.  He said drill the gas ports.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 4:19:52 PM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

SNIP

Interesting.  What are the details on your buffer/bcg/springs?

I assume you have already checked for gas leaks, a correctly lined up gas block and no blockage in the gas tube.

I recently purchased a gas tube that was clogged from the factory.  Came sealed in the bag that way.  I had noticed some white powdery substance in the bottom of the bag. I ended up having to use a drill bit and cleaning about an inch of hard packed material out of the gas tube.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:17:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Face454] [#40]

I assume you have already checked for gas leaks, a correctly lined up gas block and no blockage in the gas tube.

I recently purchased a gas tube that was clogged from the factory.  Came sealed in the bag that way.  I had noticed some white powdery substance in the bottom of the bag. I ended up having to use a drill bit and cleaning about an inch of hard packed material out of the gas tube.

View All Quotes
SNIP

I did.  I assembled two .264 LBC barrels on two uppers.  I placed the gas block correctly on both barrels. Both fail to lock back after one round is fired from the magazine.

Neither will grab the next round.  The brass does eject, but the next round stays in the mag.  I've fucked with it enough to know this isn't a gas tube/gas block issue.

They are experiencing the exact same issue.  I'll be drilling this weekend.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:33:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lennyo3034] [#41]

I did.  I assembled two .264 LBC barrels on two uppers.  I placed the gas block correctly on both barrels. Both fail to lock back after one round is fired from the magazine.

Neither will grab the next round.  The brass does eject, but the next round stays in the mag.  I've fucked with it enough to know this isn't a gas tube/gas block issue.

View All Quotes
SNIP

Are you going to take a drill bit to it? Maybe try a carbide reamer first? Unless it needs to be opened up a lot.

ETA: phone autocorrected carbide to carbine. I've been on this site too much.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:34:44 AM EDT
[#42]
I normally just open gas ports with a drill bit in my drill press.        

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:20:22 PM EDT
[#43]
I normally just open gas ports with a drill bit in my drill press.          
View Quote

Exactly what I'll be doing.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:48:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Well, hopefully I dont have this problem with my 223 barrel. I dont have a drill press, and I will be raising hell if he tells me to "just drill it out". Thats some shitty customer service right there.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:20:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Well, hopefully I dont have this problem with my 223 barrel. I dont have a drill press, and I will be raising hell if he tells me to "just drill it out". Thats some shitty customer service right there.
View Quote

Harrison will take care of you if you run into that. Lots of the 68forum guys use his barrels on their 5.56 builds and they don't seem to have any issues.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:16:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By memsu:

Harrison will take care of you if you run into that. Lots of the 68forum guys use his barrels on their 5.56 builds and they don't seem to have any issues.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By memsu:

Thanks. I can't wait to take it out and see what it can do with my handloads. I know my last 16" BCM CHF barrel would do 3/4 MOA all day long at 100, so im sure this will do even better
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:05:40 AM EDT
[#47]
If you talk to him in a way that makes you sound like you know what you're doing, he will tell you to drill it out  sine it's a basic operation. If you sound like you are new to the game, he'll tell you to send it in. If you aren't comfortable doing it just let him know and he'll have you send it in and he'll do it.

He deals with a lot of people that do  lot of this stuff, so if you talk knowledgeable, he just assumes you an do it and save yourself shipping time.

I had the pin get loose on my barrel extension last year, ( bought the upper in 2009 ), but we just knew the barrel had play. Since I've done a few, and am active on 68forums, he just told me what to check for. I didn't have the tools to get the YHM rail and nut off, but he thought I did. Once I told him that, he said, "Oh, just ship it to me and I'll handle it."

I did, on his dime. He received at just before lunch, bout 11am. He tore it down, repaired it, test fired it, and called me on the phone before 2pm, telling me exactly what was wrong, and what he did, and asked me my shirt size. He shipped it out and called me with the tracking number.

I got it two days later along with the shirt. The thing shoots to where I have to go up sometimes and visually look to be sure ll the holes are there. The .223 Wylde is the same way.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:49:20 AM EDT
[#48]
If you talk to him in a way that makes you sound like you know what you're doing, he will tell you to drill it out  sine it's a basic operation. If you sound like you are new to the game, he'll tell you to send it in. If you aren't comfortable doing it just let him know and he'll have you send it in and he'll do it.

He deals with a lot of people that do  lot of this stuff, so if you talk knowledgeable, he just assumes you an do it and save yourself shipping time.

I had the pin get loose on my barrel extension last year, ( bought the upper in 2009 ), but we just knew the barrel had play. Since I've done a few, and am active on 68forums, he just told me what to check for. I didn't have the tools to get the YHM rail and nut off, but he thought I did. Once I told him that, he said, "Oh, just ship it to me and I'll handle it."

I did, on his dime. He received at just before lunch, bout 11am. He tore it down, repaired it, test fired it, and called me on the phone before 2pm, telling me exactly what was wrong, and what he did, and asked me my shirt size. He shipped it out and called me with the tracking number.

I got it two days later along with the shirt. The thing shoots to where I have to go up sometimes and visually look to be sure ll the holes are there. The .223 Wylde is the same way.

View Quote

Good to hear. I've got his 1/8 223 wylde and its the best looking barrel I've ever had. I'm thinking it's going to be a tac Driver
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:55:57 PM EDT
[#49]
I drilled out both .264 lbc barrels.

Will test and report tomorrow evening.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:30:11 PM EDT
[#50]
After drilling out both barrels, they both are functioning flawlessly.

This group measured .62" at 100 meters or 109 yards.

Untitled by asp_762, on Flickr

I'm happy.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
ARP barrels (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top