Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2015 11:58:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Steamedliver]
I made a thread regarding the Grendel earlier and received excellent advice.  I realized that caliber isn't for me at this time.  Definitely in the future.  

I'm looking at a semi auto rifle chambered in 7.62x51.

1.  Realistic range about 500 yards.  I highly doubt I'm going to go out much further.
2.  Targets would be steel and feral destructive hogs.  I'd like to clover the target shots, but I know that I am not the shooter that can do that.
3.  Good ammo for benching and hogs.  Less expensive ammo just to shoot.
4.  Scope would be a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP.  I already have this.
5.  I want to suppress it and I would use a OSS 7.62 system.  Again, I already have this.
6.  Once I move to the Grendel (or 6.8) then I may sell this rifle.  Its just easier to sell factory rifles, so I'm not looking to build it.

There are so many great choices out there.  I don't mind saving for a longer time to get a better rifle, as long as it fits my needs.  I've been ALL OVER the place with rifles.

The scope and suppressor MUST be used.  They are just sitting there.

From the KT RFB (only reason is the overall length with the OSS, its a LONG suppressor) to the SCAR 17s to an offering from LaRue to M&P10.  I can afford the LaRue, but I feel that is going to be too much gun for my needs.  Realistically the SCAR 17s and LaRue are quite similar in price once a couple of upgrades are added to the SCAR.

I've shot the SCAR 16 in full auto several times and I really like that gun.  I am making a huge assumption that the 17 is merely a bigger caliber version.

Help educate me.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 12:16:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 12:24:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Steamedliver] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DSArms_FAL:
I have the SCAR17 the LMT MWS and a couple MK14 EBRs the SCAR kind of wins due to light weight and accuracy but I have a 20" extra barrel for the MWS and the velocity is a plus there and the MK14s are not as accurate but at 900-1000 meters the 22" barrel keeps velocity up higher and is a plus. Inside 700 meters the SCAR cannot be beat.
View Quote

The SCAR is currently my favorite because

1.   It is accurate in the range I'm looking at.  
2.   It's made by FN so quality is there.  Resale is also good.  

I don't like it because once I add the Handl lower its approaching the price of a LaRue (specifically the PredatOBR).  They have a guarantee on their accuracy.   I know they are two different purpose rifles.  I'm looking at my requirements and the price.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 12:32:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Steamedliver:

I don't like it because once I add the Handl lower its approaching the price of a LaRue (specifically the PredatOBR).  They have a guarantee on their accuracy.   I know they are two different purpose rifles.  I'm looking at my requirements and the price.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I have the SCAR17 the LMT MWS and a couple MK14 EBRs the SCAR kind of wins due to light weight and accuracy but I have a 20" extra barrel for the MWS and the velocity is a plus there and the MK14s are not as accurate but at 900-1000 meters the 22" barrel keeps velocity up higher and is a plus. Inside 700 meters the SCAR cannot be beat.

What's the benefit of the hanl lower? More durable/stronger?
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 12:57:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By snackgunner:

View All Quotes

That and mag compatibility.   I found another thread about suppressing a LaRue.   The PredatAR isn't a great choice because of the gas block.  Is it different for the OBR or PredatOBR?
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 4:33:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 5:41:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Just buy 6 or 7 SCAR mags and forget about the mag issue. SCAR mags can be found for $40-50 each and are metal with a nice floorplate bumper and  remember ALL the R&D on the SCAR was done in conjunction with this mag design and NO it is different from a FAL mag in many ways so its not a carry over idea. This is a major deal here because the SCAR underwent a massive amount of engineering when I was at FNH they had a book they showed me with SCAR development. One photo always stands out to me. FNH engineers had a SCAR heavy hooked up to all these wires and pads, it looked like a person in the ICU at a hospital. I asked what was being tested in the photo and they said they were testing vibration in all areas to balance it and increase accuracy etc... My point is if they went through all of that what did they go through in mag testing and design.

I have been in the firearms manufacturing industry for 10 years and the firearms industry for 20 years and have never seen any other company engineer at that level.  

Food for thought.
View Quote

Very much so.  I will abandon the Handl lower idea.  Then the SCAR comes in lower than any offering by LaRue.

I've got a couple of months to buy it (i.e. Christmas present, early).  I'll scour the EE and local sales.  However to get it new, where?  I absolutely do NOT care about color.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:42:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 12:29:01 PM EDT
[#8]
FDE is good for a lower profile type gun as nothing in nature is all black for the most part.

Black is good if you really want people to know you are carrying a gun.

FDE seems to have better resale if that matters

Black gets hotter to the touch in sunlight if that matters
View Quote

Thanks again.   I'll look for a FDE.  

I completely understand your point on the lower.   Related question.   What's your opinion on a Geissele trigger specifically for the SCAR.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:26:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UnknownPatriot] [#9]

That and mag compatibility.   I found another thread about suppressing a LaRue.   The PredatAR isn't a great choice because of the gas block.  Is it different for the OBR or PredatOBR?
View All Quotes

The predatobr and the obr both have the pst gas block which is a 2 position (one suppressed the other unsuppressed) gas block.

They both run well with a suppressor

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:40:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MisterDurden] [#10]
Edit nvm found it
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:26:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I own and have shot both a LMT MWS 16" and a Knights ECC 16".  Both rifles wear a NF Scope, with the LMT being a 4-10x 42mm and the KAC being a 4-16 ATACR

The LMT will consistently (at this point) outshoot the KAC, and at 300 measured yards will print 3 shots into a .5 spot.  

The KAC has not been fired enough to really speak with certainty...but seems to be more on the 1.25" at 300yds. (problem is last time out I ran out of the ammo they liked)

Both rifles like heavier bullets, and the LMT will absolutely ring the crap out of a 11"x17" steel plate at a measured 625yds EVERY shot.  

Im using both Federal match and PPU Match 175gr

Ive also owned 3 different SCAR Heavies and a M1A.  Neither will shoot with the other two above.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:27:50 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd go with the LMT MWS, I should say, I did go with the LMT MWS....

Love it and wouldnt trade it for any other platform. You can get them relatively cheap for that particular platform, $2200 for a chrome lined barrel version. This combined with the ability to change out barrels to different calibers easily I felt it was the best bang for the buck.

Seems like the Scar 17 has had some teething issues depending on what you read, everything from eating optics to SF guns going full auto. If I absolutely had to have a 17 I would wait for the MK20 which is rumored to be coming from FN at some point.

LaRue and KAC are both very nice and feature rabid fans to provide boundless entertainment

Check out the EE, a few MWS's and a sweet KAC for a steal are on there now.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 5:58:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ACPjunkie:

Love it and wouldnt trade it for any other platform. You can get them relatively cheap for that particular platform, $2200 for a chrome lined barrel version. This combined with the ability to change out barrels to different calibers easily I felt it was the best bang for the buck.

Seems like the Scar 17 has had some teething issues depending on what you read, everything from eating optics to SF guns going full auto. If I absolutely had to have a 17 I would wait for the MK20 which is rumored to be coming from FN at some point.
LaRue and KAC are both very nice and feature rabid fans to provide boundless entertainment

View Quote

Any details on the mk20?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:38:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Any details on the mk20?

View All Quotes

Any details on the mk20?

Supposedly in 2015, so says FN at SHOT

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:04:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Steamedliver] [#15]
Any reviews on the MK20.  I saw it on the FN site.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:41:52 AM EDT
[#16]
I've got nothing lol
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:13:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Steamedliver] [#17]
I'm looking at the LMT, how much exposed barrel is there?   I really want to use my OSS suppressor and I need 4.5 inches of exposed barrel to mount it.  From the pictures I looks like the rail cover too much of the barrel.   Same with KAC.  Are there FACTORY rail options?   I don't want to install it.  

I know I can mount the OSS on the SCAR.   I don't have any of the rifles and I'm open to whatever given my original points.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:57:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DaveS] [#18]
B Series: 10A4BF

or

A or B Series: AR-10T

It'll lead or hang out with what's out there.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:19:32 PM EDT
[#19]

I'm looking at the LMT, how much exposed barrel is there?   I really want to use my OSS suppressor and I need 4.5 inches of exposed barrel to mount it.  From the pictures I looks like the rail cover too much of the barrel.   Same with KAC.  Are there FACTORY rail options?   I don't want to install it.  

I know I can mount the OSS on the SCAR.   I don't have any of the rifles and I'm open to whatever given my original points.
View Quote
I looked at mine, doesnt look like you have enough exposed barrel on the 16in barrel, however they come in 18 and 20in lengths so your covered there. OR, you can cut off part of the rail to allow the suppressor to fit.

Whatever you do, stick with the SR25 mag platforms.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:33:10 AM EDT
[#20]
I looked at mine, doesnt look like you have enough exposed barrel on the 16in barrel, however they come in 18 and 20in lengths so your covered there. OR, you can cut off part of the rail to allow the suppressor to fit.    

View All Quotes

I agree 100%++  

Mags are very reasonable for the platform, and seem to be available almost everywhere.

Shot both of mine again yesterday,. Focused on 200 to 1000 yards.  600 yard 10"x10" square plate hits were maybe not easy (had to make sure of wind speed - full left to right making the windsock stand out) but I did it all day.

Never did actually hit the 12" plate at 1000, but held a (for me) decent group...albeit low and right.  Im simply not very good at wind doping
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:54:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Surprised nobody mentioned a GAP-10!!!?!?

Fully customizeable, and sub MOA guaranteed.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:08:34 AM EDT
[#22]
And at twice the price of an LMT and almost twice the price of a SCAR17. Great rifle but more on par with a KAC or LaRue price and performance wise.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:01:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I acquired a SCAR 17.  Seems to fit my needs.   Thanks for all the help.  I say acquire because I found a local seller that traded me for it and a bunch of extras.  My cash outlay was almost nothing.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:09:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top