Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2015 4:57:48 PM EDT
I had the chance to fondle a DD MK12 at my LGS today and I liked it. I know its not a true MK12 but I don't care about that. I'm thinking about picking one up for shooting steel out to 500-600 yards and for coyote hunting. The only thing I wasn't crazy about on the gun was the heavy quad rail.

Does anybody have any experience with these guns?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:13:08 PM EDT
[#1]
The gun will be superb in quality and build. My father decided to pick up an upper for his SPR build. Sub-MOA if you do your part.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:37:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sputnik556] [#2]
What about the DD makes it "not a real MK12"?

Apparently the only difference between a real MK18 and a DDMK18 is the gas port size and the gas ring.

It's even been confirmed that there are DDMK18s "in the wild"

Just wondering if its the same deal here...
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:01:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sputnik556:

Apparently the only difference between a real MK18 and a DDMK18 is the gas port size and the gas ring.

View Quote

These are not my photos.

Real mk12 mod 0:

mk12 mod 1:

daniel defense "mk12":

Wrong rail.

wrong sights

wrong barrel

wrong stock

wrong muzzle device

no collar for ops 12th/aem5

questions?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:10:13 PM EDT
[#4]

View Quote

There are quite a few differences between the DD MK12 and the "real one".  There are some minor differences, but the biggest differences are the rail and there is no Ops break and collar.  That said I shot the DD version at the range recently and it was a great rifle to shoot.  If you don't care about making a "clone correct" rifle, but want a great shooting rifle I think it would be a great option.  I found the stock to be more comfortable than I thought it would be.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:18:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sputnik556] [#5]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:19:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ArmedFerret:

These are not my photos.

Real mk12 mod 0:

http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq323/Sabre223/SPR/Mk12Mod0.jpg

mk12 mod 1:

http://i41.tinypic.com/2zfsy08.jpg

daniel defense "mk12":

https://danieldefense.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/635x205/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/0/2/02-142-01198-047_mk12_tornado.jpg

Wrong rail.

wrong sights

wrong barrel

wrong stock

wrong muzzle device

questions?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

These are not my photos.

Real mk12 mod 0:

mk12 mod 1:

daniel defense "mk12":

https://danieldefense.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/635x205/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/0/2/02-142-01198-047_mk12_tornado.jpg

Wrong rail.

wrong sights

wrong barrel

wrong stock

wrong muzzle device

questions?

Quite a difference there, thanks.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:21:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmedFerret] [#7]
it's basically DD taking advantage of a non-trademarked term that's well-known in the community and using it to sell rifles to unsuspecting folks.  

that's not to say it's an awful rifle, probably very far from it.  just irks a lot of folks that they're calling it what they are.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:44:15 AM EDT
[#8]
it's basically DD taking advantage of a non-trademarked term that's well-known in the community and using it to sell rifles to unsuspecting folks.  

that's not to say it's an awful rifle, probably very far from it.  just irks a lot of folks that they're calling it what they are.
View Quote

Why should it irk anyone?  I'm assuming the barrel has the correct profile - it appears the have the step for the collar.

Anyone who might actually need the brake and collar to use the can knows exactly what a Mk12 is.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:35:19 AM EDT
[#9]

View All Quotes

These are not my photos.

Real mk12 mod 0:

mk12 mod 1:

daniel defense "mk12":

Wrong rail.

wrong sights

wrong barrel

wrong stock

wrong muzzle device

questions?

Came to post this. I have a HCS Mk12Mod1 and the DD has practically nothing in common with it.

If DD wasn't trying to somehow capitalize on the 'clone crowd', which this is a horrible example of, they should have just called it an enhanced Mk12 or Mk12 ModDD or something.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:11:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Who gives a shit what it is called?

It's an AR with an 18" barrel and quad rail.  

"It's a Mk 12." "No, it's not, the real ones have..."

Really?

Fuck.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:51:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By FALex:

Really?

Fuck.
View Quote

Obviously, some people care.  It's not a Mk12 or Mk12 clone, but it's a special purpose rifle nonetheless.  The Mk 12 name is for marketing purposes. They know how different it is.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:29:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chenault] [#12]
Originally Posted By 870Fan:
I had the chance to fondle a DD MK12 at my LGS today and I liked it. I know its not a true MK12 but I don't care about that. I'm thinking about picking one up for shooting steel out to 500-600 yards and for coyote hunting. The only thing I wasn't crazy about on the gun was the heavy quad rail.

View Quote

Yes, we know it's not a real MK12, and I believe the OP does as well. Now if you can stop getting ass hurt because they named it an MK12 I believe the purpose of this post was to see if anyone had any experience with DD version of the rifle, not to argue if it was in fact a legit MK12, which he clearly states isn't important to him.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:00:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Like I said, I'm not too worried about the DD mk12 being an accurate clone of the mk12 in military use. I'll let others fight that out if it is important to them.

I liked the fit and finish of the rifle I fondled and it is in my budget range. I also liked the fact that I could get my hands on one in time for the weather to get better and get out shooting rather than wait for Larue Predatar or something else similar.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:56:06 AM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes

This.

Originally Posted By boltcatch:

Why should it irk anyone?  I'm assuming the barrel has the correct profile - it appears the have the step for the collar.

Anyone who might actually need the brake and collar to use the can knows exactly what a Mk12 is.

It irks people because they're using the panache of the Mk 12 name to sell a rifle that shares almost no similarities with a real Mk 12. It's a classless cash-grab meant to sucker people.

It's like buying a street DVD in Hong Kong and thinking it's the same thing as a Blu Ray from Walmart.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 11:06:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By FALex:

Really?

Fuck.
View Quote

So is a AR15 a M16? There is a difference a MK12 is a rifle that is built to a certain set of specifications much like the xm-3 and m-24 the same as MK262 ammo they go by that designation for a reason. I think many get upset that Daniel Defense is clearly just trying to use the MK12 name to sell its product that is not a MK12. If you want a MK12 get a HCS or PRI they do not cost that much more then the Daniel Defense.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 12:53:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By chenault:

Yes, we know it's not a real MK12, and I believe the OP does as well. Now if you can stop getting ass hurt because they named it an MK12 I believe the purpose of this post was to see if anyone had any experience with DD version of the rifle, not to argue if it was in fact a legit MK12, which he clearly states isn't important to him.
View All Quotes

Or maybe the real problem is that DD decided to release a not-really-copy of a defunct rifle that stopped being produced 10 years ago, named it after said rifle, and marketed it as though it is still a relevant concept.

Anyone who reads up on the full lineage of the Mk12 program can easily see that the 18" barreled SPR and Mk12 rifles are obsolete. An individual is better served with a "Recce" inspired rifle, as that was not only part of the Mk12/SPR's origin, it was basically its final iteration as well. So yeah, it's very annoying that DD released that rifle and called it a Mk12. It's no more a Mk12 than my 330i is an M3.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 2:37:04 AM EDT
[#17]
The Daniel Defense "MK12" is an excellent rifle from everything I've heard, read, and experienced.  I've handled one is a GS but haven't shot one.

Apparently it isn't too hard to add the Ops Inc. brake & collar.

Here are a couple of YouTube videos:

Daniel Defense MK12 Review Part 1

Daniel Defense MK12 Review Part 2

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 12:02:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I've seen a few disappointing accuracy reports on their MK12. I love DD for carbines and SBR's, but with this being DD's first real attempt at precision, I would give it some more time and custom build with a match barrel from WOA or Douglas
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:13:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By lancecriminal86:

Or maybe the real problem is that DD decided to release a not-really-copy of a defunct rifle that stopped being produced 10 years ago, named it after said rifle, and marketed it as though it is still a relevant concept.

Anyone who reads up on the full lineage of the Mk12 program can easily see that the 18" barreled SPR and Mk12 rifles are obsolete. An individual is better served with a "Recce" inspired rifle, as that was not only part of the Mk12/SPR's origin, it was basically its final iteration as well. So yeah, it's very annoying that DD released that rifle and called it a Mk12. It's no more a Mk12 than my 330i is an M3.
View All Quotes

This is the first I have heard that they are obsolete. Are they being phased out what is replacing them them the MK12 modH? DD is just trying to capitlize off the name that is it, and I think it is kind of bull shit myself since many may think that they are buying a real MK12.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:33:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By nicholasgentges:

This is the first I have heard that they are obsolete. Are they being phased out what is replacing them them the MK12 modH? DD is just trying to capitlize off the name that is it, and I think it is kind of bull shit myself since many may think that they are buying a real MK12.
View All Quotes

I believe Mk 17s. Mod H was not a SOCOM wide thing . . . only within a specific ODA, AFAIK.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:05:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By BurtSaun1049:

I believe Mk 17s. Mod H was not a SOCOM wide thing . . . only within a specific ODA, AFAIK.
View All Quotes

Got ya thanks for the information. I have wanted to get a scar but never have, ther cost was always a turn off but I have at least $3k in each of my MK12 rifles. I like the MK12 since I can reload good ammo cheap and shoot it all day without being sore the next day.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 8:57:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I have one and really enjoy it. Sub MOA with 77gr SMK's. Here's my MK12 mod DD:

Link Posted: 6/22/2015 7:04:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By ChrisWMT:
I have one and really enjoy it. Sub MOA with 77gr SMK's. Here's my MK12 mod DD:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/545/18629511348_c5fd5bacc3_z_d.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/313/18194687544_46d5c4c509_z_d.jpg
View Quote

When you add more of the appropriate parts you could fool most that it is a Mod1.
Nice rifle.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:53:50 PM EDT
[#24]
I really like Daniel Defense but all the white laser engraving on the uppers kills it for me.

I'll never buy one.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 3:08:19 AM EDT
[#25]

These are not my photos.

Real mk12 mod 0:

mk12 mod 1:

daniel defense "mk12":

Wrong rail.

wrong sights

wrong barrel

wrong stock

wrong muzzle device

questions?
View All Quotes

These are not my photos.

Real mk12 mod 0:

mk12 mod 1:

daniel defense "mk12":

Wrong rail.

wrong sights

wrong barrel

wrong stock

wrong muzzle device

questions?

No kidding. Might as well call my Chevy a Lamborghini.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 6:14:08 AM EDT
[#26]

This.

It irks people because they're using the panache of the Mk 12 name to sell a rifle that shares almost no similarities with a real Mk 12. It's a classless cash-grab meant to sucker people.

It's like buying a street DVD in Hong Kong and thinking it's the same thing as a Blu Ray from Walmart.
View All Quotes

This.

Lol, unless a Mk12 upper is on a m16 lower, it's owner is just playing dress up.  Without the lower there is no reason to go with an outdated upper
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:53:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By m4hk33:

Lol, unless a Mk12 upper is on a m16 lower, it's owner is just playing dress up.  Without the lower there is no reason to go with an outdated upper
View All Quotes

This.

That's an absurdly obtuse qualification on many levels.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes

This.

That Sir is real dumb, the MK12 is a perfectly capable system. Do you feel that anyone that wears camo is playing dress up as well?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:01:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#29]
Not GD so no name calling and BS.

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 11:14:44 AM EDT
[#30]
I have one and I really like it, enough that it’s on my theoretical “If I could only keep 5 guns” list. Everyone who shoots it winds up with a smile on their face and many are now saving to buy one of their own. It shoots accurately with Magtech 77 Grain ammo for when I feel like punching paper and accurately enough to ring steel using 55 grain ammo.  I use a Griffin Armament SPR suppressor for over the barrel suppressor goodness without needing a custom profile, break, and collar. I love this rifle with that suppressor. It doesn't suffer from excessive gas blow back and is super quite for a 5.56 gun. For an optic I went with a Vortex 2.5-10x32 PST. The optic is ideal for my concept of SPR. Light, FFP variable magnification, and has illumination.

Overall the whole package is light weight for a “precision” setup. Far lighter than my Remington 700 in AICS setup or 7.62 OBR. If I had to choose one precision AR, I would take the DD MK12 over the OBR 100% of the time.  
Note: The furthest I have shot the rifle is 300 yards as that is all the longer my range is.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 10:31:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Pretty much, those that wear digital camo are tools playing tactical dress up, those that wear Real tree are mouth breathers.  

View Quote
You sir are not wrong lol. OP I have heard nothing but good things about the DD mk12 in terms of fit, finish and accuracy with the right ammo. Buy with confidence.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 3:33:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Pretty much, those that wear digital camo are tools playing tactical dress up, those that wear Real tree are mouth breathers.  

View Quote

Im sitting here in my cutoff digi shorts that ive worn on 3 continents, and looking at my m16a2 clone, no 3 round burst, that ill sling up and shoot for a nostalgic afternoon.

Daniel Defense calling their rifle a Mk12 is like Bruce Jenner calling himself a women.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 11:02:21 AM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

You feel big on the internet don't you. Cute.

- Mouth breathing hunter just playing dress up.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 8:49:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By mathecb:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mathecb:

Probably just trolling at this point.  Reported the post anyway.  Considering his username, I wonder if he has a US Property-marked M4, or if he's just playing dress-up too....
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 2:04:44 PM EDT
[#35]
This is on the fast track for a lock. Keep the GD bull sh*t in GD, don't bring it to a technical forum.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 8:57:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Zombie thread anyway.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 9:05:47 AM EDT
[#37]
So what if it has the ...

Wrong rail.

wrong sights

wrong barrel

wrong stock

wrong muzzle device

>>My question is....  Can it shoot and can it shoot accurately ??
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 11:02:54 AM EDT
[#38]
I owned a DD MK12 for a few months and was not impressed with it. I tried everything from 55gr xm193- AAA 77gr and Black Hills 77gr ammo out of it with OK performance. It was always a little over 1 MOA at 100 yards on a good day with zero wind. This was all done while shooting on bags or a bipod with a 1-4 NF, TA11F Acog or with a 5.5-22x50 NF. Some of the ammo would be close to 2 MOA at 100 yards so i wasnt to impressed.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 12:44:20 AM EDT
[#39]
I hate to critique weapons I've never handled or owned, but for the life of me, I can't understand why Daniel Defense built this rifle the way they did, and then labeled it a MK12. I really isn't for the guys who want a clone,  and it isn't the most ergonomically correct rifle as a intermediate range precision rifle.
Why the short handguard(especially quad rail) and exposed gas block on a precision rig? I owned one of their Ambush rifles for awhile and I regret selling it; they might as well have called that rifle the MK12.
Honestly for coyote hunting and ringing steel to 600 yards, there's a ton of better choices.
Disclaimer : I'm a faux long range competitor/mouth breathing camo wearing redneck who chases innocent animals around the wilds. Not a professional.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 1:02:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Found a pic of the DD Ambush rifle I had. I'd highly recommend it for your purposes if you like DD products. Mine was very accurate. The goofy grip comes off easily. There are deals to be had on these rifles if you look around.

https://danieldefense.com/ambush-5-56mm.html
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:26:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By guncrazy72:
I owned a DD MK12 for a few months and was not impressed with it. I tried everything from 55gr xm193- AAA 77gr and Black Hills 77gr ammo out of it with OK performance. It was always a little over 1 MOA at 100 yards on a good day with zero wind. This was all done while shooting on bags or a bipod with a 1-4 NF, TA11F Acog or with a 5.5-22x50 NF. Some of the ammo would be close to 2 MOA at 100 yards so i wasnt to impressed.
View Quote

I've shot a lot of MK262 and it does not always settle down at 100 yards.  XM193 is junk in every respect.  

I'm not sure of your skill level, but shooting ~1moa is pretty easy.  To get sub-moa out of off the shelf gun and ammo is going to require some damn near perfect shooting.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:42:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JPShooter] [#42]
I own one, among many other very fine rifles.

It's not a MK12 as defined by the MK12 definition in the posts noted above, but it is everything the MK12 intended to be to the end user, IMHO.  YMMV!

I am perfectly happy with mine for what it is and have no fantasy or desire for it to be a "legally perfect MK12".

I personally wouldn't want a spec MK12.

I want a rifle that does what I need, and this does it for me.

To each his own.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top