Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2022 5:43:03 PM EDT
Been going down this rabbit hole.  Ordered a PSA 20" 1:6.5 twist, couple of mags, Dead Air KeyMo mount, and 100 rounds of ammo so far.  Only the KeyMo from Hansohn has arrived so far.  Ammo is just 75gr stuff at 1 dollar a round.

Lower has a Larue MBT, and using a Vortex Viper PST.

Who has some good info on this?
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 9:19:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#1]
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 4:11:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: confused89] [#2]
YouTube the ultimate Reloader has a load up for it. He has several videos
Amazing 224 Valkyrie Berger 80.5 Grain Load at 1000 Yards
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 4:25:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By confused89:
YouTube the ultimate Reloader has a load up for it. He has several videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmz5NskeFdM
View Quote
Yup, watched that many times. It's been my plan for this rifle.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 12:39:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Hopefully it shoots great. It’s my understanding that many of the first budget barrels were chambered with reamers that weren’t optimal for precision. I believe PSA was in that category for early adopters, but I’m not sure if they’ve changed up their reamers. Ultimately, I think the use of the early reamers while the factory cartridge specs were being finalized severely hurt the Valkyrie coming to market. Ppl nuking the loads and trying to push 80-90’s up to 2900fps + from 18” barrels and destroying brass after 1-2 firings didn’t help either.

Barrels from CMT, Craddock, WOA, Rainier and a few others have proved to be excellent performers. I’ve got 2 of the Rainier and 2 WOA. 1 of my WOA is still sitting as a reserve barrel, but the other 3 have been great. The WOA has yielded the best results with the AE 75 plinking ammo, as well as the FGMM 90’s and 80eld handloads. The RA’s have done great with the FGMM 80.5’s and 80eld handloads. The RA barrels are a 1:7.5t and have not stabilized all lots of FGMM 90’s that I’ve tested.

When Rainier had them on sale for 224$, they were a steal!! They are freaking lasers with H4895 and 80elds. If the PSA doesn’t work out, try to locate a Rainier or WOA. If you can’t source either, send me an IM. If that doesn’t work, contact Craddock!

For projectiles, stick to 75-88gr bullets for the most part. There just isn’t really enough case capacity to make the 90-95’s a viable option unless you’re going with a short barrel or just looking for maximum supersonic distance. Inside of 1200yds, 80elds over h4895 will beat out the heavier bullets in drop and drift if using a 20-24” barrel in most situations.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 12:47:05 AM EDT
[#5]
The trigger will help with groups.  The 75gr stuff is ok.  For factory ammo, 88 elds r the best.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 7:55:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:
Hopefully it shoots great. It's my understanding that many of the first budget barrels were chambered with reamers that weren't optimal for precision. I believe PSA was in that category for early adopters, but I'm not sure if they've changed up their reamers. Ultimately, I think the use of the early reamers while the factory cartridge specs were being finalized severely hurt the Valkyrie coming to market. Ppl nuking the loads and trying to push 80-90's up to 2900fps + from 18" barrels and destroying brass after 1-2 firings didn't help either.

Barrels from CMT, Craddock, WOA, Rainier and a few others have proved to be excellent performers. I've got 2 of the Rainier and 2 WOA. 1 of my WOA is still sitting as a reserve barrel, but the other 3 have been great. The WOA has yielded the best results with the AE 75 plinking ammo, as well as the FGMM 90's and 80eld handloads. The RA's have done great with the FGMM 80.5's and 80eld handloads. The RA barrels are a 1:7.5t and have not stabilized all lots of FGMM 90's that I've tested.

When Rainier had them on sale for 224$, they were a steal!! They are freaking lasers with H4895 and 80elds. If the PSA doesn't work out, try to locate a Rainier or WOA. If you can't source either, send me an IM. If that doesn't work, contact Craddock!

For projectiles, stick to 75-88gr bullets for the most part. There just isn't really enough case capacity to make the 90-95's a viable option unless you're going with a short barrel or just looking for maximum supersonic distance. Inside of 1200yds, 80elds over h4895 will beat out the heavier bullets in drop and drift if using a 20-24" barrel in most situations.
View Quote
Thanks for the info drop, my plan has been to stick around the 80gr mark, the UR series showed to me that was the ideal bullets.

Just waiting on the upper to ship from PSA and the Mags to come in.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 12:50:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Got the shipping notice this morning.  So hoping to get some base line testing next weekend.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 6:01:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm staying tuned...
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 10:32:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought the same upper in 2020 when they first came out. Paid $299 + shipping/tax. Interesting caliber and you can see and hear the difference at long range compared to 77 gr Mk 262 in 5.56mm.

Did a break in and finally settled down to shoot ~ 1/2 moa with the Federal Gold Match 90gr. Would consistently group 2" and under at 400 yds. I run it suppressed so it's fun to see the bullet splash then hear the sound (delayed).

The Federal American Eagle 75gr opened up but at the time, I was paying $8.99 a box of 20. Great  plinking/hog hunting round but don't expect match accuracy. Tried the Hornady 88gr and was not impressed..... noticeably slower velocity and so-so accuracy.

Be prepared to experiment with different loads as the .224 can be a challenge to tune. Once you find the right load.... VERY impressive.

Lastly, the clearance is close between the adjustable Gas Block and forend which can be a problem with accuracy causing fliers. This can be hard to troubleshoot as there is no logical sequence as to why and when. Once adjusted, all is good.

Looking forward to your report!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top