Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2022 12:08:21 PM EDT
I was hoping to solicite opinions on a 308 delivery system selection under the following constraints:

1. Functional as a SD/SHTF recce/observation platform
2. Capable of accurate shots to 600 yards, beyond is cool but not necessary and most large animals are taken closer in, or so I’m told.
3. Able to drop large game (elk mostly)
4. End user serviceable
5. Suppressable out of the box
6. As light weight as possible
7. Affordable to the working man
8. Portable/easy to travel with

I’ve decided on the 308 cartridge for ammo availability and good enough ballistics. Yes, I’ve considered the 6.5CM and 300WM. If those cartridges were as ubiquitous as the 308 I’d go with that. I could have a wrong opinion about this though.

I do not shoot precision competitions and almost assuredly never will.

The search was narrowed down to the following platforms:

A. Aero Precision 16” SS M5E1
B. Sig Sauer 16” cross
C. Browning hells canyon 22” 308

Any thoughts on which platform and why would be deeply appreciated. This is a totally new world for me and I’ve hammered the search function to death here already. I’m seriously open to all thoughts on the matter I’d like to buy once.

Thank you all in advance.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 12:19:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Just curious, how about the Ruger GSR?

10rd detachable mags, iron sights, scout rail for optics (or available base for traditional scope rings), 1-10" barrel, threaded 5/8x24.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 2:09:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ellenripley:
Just curious, how about the Ruger GSR?

10rd detachable mags, iron sights, scout rail for optics (or available base for traditional scope rings), 1-10" barrel, threaded 5/8x24.
View Quote

That sounds good too. I’ll check it out right now. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 2:23:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rigian] [#3]
I got a Alex Pro Firearms DPMS .308 "AR10" and I've been very impressed with the quality and workmanship on it. Really great shooter and way cheaper than most other brands in the category.

I had never heard of them before but after some research I found them to be a high grade manufacture.

https://www.apfarmory.com/

Here's mine out last white tail season:

Link Posted: 4/24/2022 3:24:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Rigian:
I got a Alex Pro Firearms DPMS .308 "AR10" and I've been very impressed with the quality and workmanship on it. Really great shooter and way cheaper than most other brands in the category.

I had never heard of them before but after some research I found them to be a high grade manufacture.

https://www.apfarmory.com/

Here's mine out last white tail season:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/514647/5112F7B8-7F8F-4FF7-B5DC-DDBAE8867550-2158483.jpg
View Quote

Great set up. Thanks for the recommendation.

How do you like it for hunting?
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 3:33:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a POF Revolution.

Around 7lbs, most if the controls/furniture are standard AR stuff, so easy to find. supressable out of the box.

Great shooter, that I don't mind carrying around for long periods of time.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 3:43:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll mention that because you posted this in the semi auto group, you'll probably get a lot of semi auto suggestions, even though you seem to be looking at both. To meet all of the criteria on your list, and with a focus on homestead, semis are probably the better bet.

The parts on a semi will likely wear faster than a bolt, but the replacement parts are easy to store and replace on your own with minimal tooling.

Most people probably won't shoot enough to wear most of those parts out, aside from those that fail prematurely or from reckless/improper loads.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 4:16:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By FrankWorth:

Great set up. Thanks for the recommendation.

How do you like it for hunting?
View Quote
Pretty well. I would have put a different optic on it but this one was laying around at the time. Its 18 inch so good for hunting, not good at all for any type of home defense although after a couple shots no one would want to be anywhere in front of it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 6:27:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Ellenripley:
I'll mention that because you posted this in the semi auto group, you'll probably get a lot of semi auto suggestions, even though you seem to be looking at both. To meet all of the criteria on your list, and with a focus on homestead, semis are probably the better bet.

The parts on a semi will likely wear faster than a bolt, but the replacement parts are easy to store and replace on your own with minimal tooling.

Most people probably won't shoot enough to wear most of those parts out, aside from those that fail prematurely or from reckless/improper loads.
View Quote

This makes a lot of sense. I’m partial to the semi platform after hunting pigs for years. But I’m not opposed to logical discourse sending me to a bolt action.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 6:28:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Rigian:
Pretty well. I would have put a different optic on it but this one was laying around at the time. Its 18 inch so good for hunting, not good at all for any type of home defense although after a couple shots no one would want to be anywhere in front of it.
View Quote

All guns are loud but this would be especially brutal. I read that 16” 308s are painful to the ears.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 8:36:04 PM EDT
[#10]

All guns are loud but this would be especially brutal. I read that 16” 308s are painful to the ears.
View Quote

ALL guns are painful and damaging to the ears.  That is why you always wear hearing protection, or use a suppressor... or BOTH.

The AR Platform is infamously loud along with being harder to significantly suppress.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 9:28:52 AM EDT
[#11]
I was hoping to solicite opinions on a 308 delivery system selection under the following constraints:

1. Functional as a SD/SHTF recce/observation platform
2. Capable of accurate shots to 600 yards, beyond is cool but not necessary and most large animals are taken closer in, or so I’m told.
3. Able to drop large game (elk mostly)
4. End user serviceable
5. Suppressable out of the box
6. As light weight as possible
7. Affordable to the working man
8. Portable/easy to travel with

I’ve decided on the 308 cartridge for ammo availability and good enough ballistics. Yes, I’ve considered the 6.5CM and 300WM. If those cartridges were as ubiquitous as the 308 I’d go with that. I could have a wrong opinion about this though.

I do not shoot precision competitions and almost assuredly never will.

The search was narrowed down to the following platforms:

A. Aero Precision 16” SS M5E1
B. Sig Sauer 16” cross
C. Browning hells canyon 22” 308

Any thoughts on which platform and why would be deeply appreciated. This is a totally new world for me and I’ve hammered the search function to death here already. I’m seriously open to all thoughts on the matter I’d like to buy once.

Thank you all in advance.
View Quote

Come here to start reading and asking questions.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 9:35:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm 100% with you on this.
I built an AR10 based off of a Palmetto PA10. I changed alot of the components including the barrel, BCG, gas system, and a few others I cant think of.

I replaced it with a Ballistic advantage 14.5" (back when they were still available) and pinned welded a YHM QD brake for my YHM Resonator, and topped it with a Primary Arms 5X with ACSS.

Its not the most accurate gun, but it shoots a combat effective groups.

To me it is a do-all gun. Its small enough for close quarters, and (theoretically, never attempted) should be good out to 500 yards. It should be effective for any game in the US, semi auto, and I'm very familiar with he AR platform and manual of arms.

The only downside is Ballistic Advantage no longer makes .308 14.5" barrels, and its a bit heavy when compared to a a 5.56 gun of similar characteristics, but if you want .308 you need to pay the price.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 12:43:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Thank you
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 9:09:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Scar heavy
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 8:22:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Build your own?

I used Aero receivers, Criterion barrel, URX4, etc and built it exactly how I wanted it.  

Link Posted: 5/12/2022 12:30:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By cone256:
Build your own?

I used Aero receivers, Criterion barrel, URX4, etc and built it exactly how I wanted it.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/214520/20220317_120543-2316554.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/214520/20220412_120828-2350888.jpg
View Quote
This is the way.  Built my own AP 16" .308 on a bit of a whim and was more than impressed with it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 1:06:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Lightweight hunting guns are almost exclusively bolt action for a reason. If that’s the primary purpose that’s probably how I’d go.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 1:17:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Donut777donut] [#18]
My 18” gen3 PA-10 in 308 just killed a hog suppressed. I even flew with it. Fits all your criteria.  

Link Posted: 6/9/2022 2:53:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Excellent!!!
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 12:17:06 AM EDT
[#20]
A little update.

I’ve ruled out barreled rifles longer than 16”. Longer than 16” has its purpose and utility but this rifle for me is going to collect meat mostly so anything longer than 500 yard shooting is unrealistic. Not to mention a defensive justification beyond say 50 yards would be reaaal difficult to come by.

I checked out the sig cross at the LGS and found it excellent. Compact, lite, and a great trigger. The only “issue” was the safety selector where when returning to safe it can hang up in the middle between safe and fire. I confirmed with a second cross rifle at the shop this was not a one off error. I’m still unsure of how this affects my decision

I’m very confident in the Aero M5 performance but I’m worried with the cross. Seems like the cross has varied accuracy between rifles and can be finicky for ammo performance. But the cross has massive weight savings.

I also can’t decide on semi or bolt. Choosing weight savings would lean me towards bolt.

The debate continues.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 7:56:32 AM EDT
[#21]
A small frame Ar10 has your name on it imo. Although I'd not go below an 18" barrel imo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top