Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2022 11:14:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SwiftyMorgan]
Rotator cuff is fine, but there is tendonitis and I'm not looking for aggravation.

SCAR 17 appears to have low recoil, but what say you all?

Are there other .308 low recoil options, or solutions?

EDIT - 6.5CM creedmoor has 25%less recoil?  If true, that seems like an option for my "large" caliber defense weapon?  I have no .308 ammo, etc.  ARs and other calibers are covered, so perhaps the 6.5CM?
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 11:24:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Scar17, even with the muzzle break removed--I went with a flash hider--has the lowest recoil of any .308 I've shot.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 11:43:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#2]
I have a "LimbSaver Airtech Slip-On Recoil Pad" (1 inch) on the butt stock of one of my bolt action rifles for the added length (and it still isn't long enough but that is topic for another time).  It really softens the recoil and it is easy on and off for whichever you like configuration on the fly - LINK.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 11:58:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Greenspan] [#3]
Suppressor, sandman with e brake
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 1:33:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sincerd] [#4]
Mws with brt restrictive gas tube. Has a 13.5 shooting softer than a 16" sr25. Will never sell it. Ever. Ever.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 8:53:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#5]
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 10:14:58 PM EDT
[#6]
After some additional research  - EDIT - 6.5CM creedmoor has 25%less recoil?  If true, that seems like an option for my "large" caliber defense weapon?  I have no .308 ammo, etc.  ARs and other calibers are covered, so perhaps the 6.5CM?
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 3:30:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By joseywales3:
After some additional research  - EDIT - 6.5CM creedmoor has 25%less recoil?  If true, that seems like an option for my "large" caliber defense weapon?  I have no .308 ammo, etc.  ARs and other calibers are covered, so perhaps the 6.5CM?
View Quote

Definitely more of a distance caliber IMO...given the price and comparable ballistics out to 500. But a good one for sure.

See if you can rent a SCAR somewhere. Really soft-shooting guns. Granted, part of that is because of the obnoxious brake on it, but still....
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 8:07:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By minion42:

Definitely more of a distance caliber IMO...given the price and comparable ballistics out to 500. But a good one for sure.

See if you can rent a SCAR somewhere. Really soft-shooting guns. Granted, part of that is because of the obnoxious brake on it, but still....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By minion42:
Originally Posted By joseywales3:

Thanks.  Yeah, the brake could be an issue as well, I’ve had tinnitus for decades.   Who knows, maybe I’ll go nuts and finally get a suppressor.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 9:04:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Add more weight to the rifle in addition to a brake.
A 15 lbs rifle vs a 7 lbs rifle is daylight to darkness
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 10:01:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Muzzle brakes and mass make a an epic difference along with a tuned gas system.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 6:51:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Trey-W] [#11]
The weight of the bullet is going to be the biggest difference between calibers. A 175gr 308 is going to recoil more than a 140gr 6.5. However, a 150gr AMAX 308 doesn’t kick much more than a 6.5.

A good muzzle brake will have more effect than switching bullet weights.

A 100gr 6mm Creedmoor recoils just like a .243. I would research barrel and gas system setups though, it is a very high pressure round.  GAP makes one if you don’t want to build. The biggest downside is barrel life, most people get around 1000 rounds before accuracy starts to drop off.

I’ve switched from 308 to 6.5 because I don’t reload and all the more accurate loads available locally were 168-175 gr, whereas the 6.5 is available from 130-140 gr.

What is your plan with this rifle? This being in the precision rifle section, I would rule out the SCAR. Have you considered the Grendel, 6mm ARC, etc? If you are just punching paper at medium ranges I would seriously consider stepping down to a a small frame caliber. It’s not worth the recoil penalty and driving the gun takes much more focus. Can still hunt with it too if that is a concern.
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 10:26:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Just do not get an A2 plastic stock. Get something with decent padding. My a2 listed about 3 range trips.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 11:32:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Have you entertained the 6.5 grendel?  I have no particular love for the caliber but I dont care for muzzle blast or recoil.  6.5g suppressed isnt far off from 556
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 8:01:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Haven't shot a 308 AR, both mine were built as 6.5 Creedmoor or 6mm Creedmoor.

Either to me are not bad on recoil. Suppressed they are nothing really. The 6.5 wiggles and the 6 hardly moves at all. I will quantify that by saying I shoot loads that are mid charge on the tables because that's what's worked well in my rifles.

The Grendel are is very light recoil as well. Suppressed its almost non existent.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 8:53:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Depending on what you want to do...

The 243 win is a sweet sweet round - down right wicked!

and the 6.5 Grendel is a very sweet shooter - look at an AR or a Ruger Ranch/Predator for a bolt

Red
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 12:42:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't think my M14 is all that bad.  But it weighs 14lbs +.  It and my FN SPR are both pigs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top