Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2022 1:32:57 PM EDT
I'm looking to rebarrel an ar15. I do not know much about higher end barrels. This will be a general use rifle with some 3 gun tossed in. It will have a vortex razor hd 2 1-6 on it and will be shot both suppressed and unsuppressed. I am thinking about a 16" Rainer Arms ultra match. I have one on a AR10 and it is amazing but heavy. I aslo have a Daniel Defense 5.56 that I like.

my priorities:
1) accuracy
2) minimum poi shift when suppressed (does a heavier profile help here?)
3) weight (this will likely be my zombie apocalypse rifle)

I love velocity but I am thinking 16" for weight and balance (my scope and suppressor add a lot). Could be talked into 18" with rifle gas though. Please give this newb some recommendations.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 1:43:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 1:50:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
Criterion:  223 Wylde 16” mid.
Faxon:  223 Wylde 16” mid or 18” rifle.
Ballistic Advantage:  223 Wylde 16” mid.
View Quote

I have a faxton match gunner on another ar10. Its not to impressive. I'll check out the others thanks .
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 1:53:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Noveski Afgan 14.5 Pinned  SS polygonial rifeling  fixed GB that fits the bill.
I’ve always wondered about their  adjustable switch block version  though for optimizing suppressed.
Also love BA BBL ‘s
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 8:10:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By GGtar122:
I'm looking to rebarrel an ar15. I do not know much about higher end barrels. This will be a general use rifle with some 3 gun tossed in. It will have a vortex razor hd 2 1-6 on it and will be shot both suppressed and unsuppressed. I am thinking about a 16" Rainer Arms ultra match. I have one on a AR10 and it is amazing but heavy. I aslo have a Daniel Defense 5.56 that I like.

my priorities:
1) accuracy

I love velocity but I am thinking 16" for weight and balance (my scope and suppressor add a lot). Could be talked into 18" with rifle gas though. Please give this newb some recommendations.
View Quote

16" is a great way to go imo.

A heavier profile will help with everything except of course weight. I would go as heavy as possible at the chamber end and taper down at the gb journal and either continue with that diameter or step down again to the minimum needed for a shoulder at the threaded muzzle. Yes it would be heavy, but the majority of the weight would be more towards the middle (in relation to the rifle's overall length).

The RA UltraMatch's always get good reviews, honestly I've never seen someone say they were dissapointed with one. They offer fluted barrels for weight reduction as well.

Another great option is White Oak Armament, another company I have literally never heard disappointment about. White Oak can spin any profile you want and flute for weight reduction.

Link Posted: 2/26/2022 8:28:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
Criterion:  223 Wylde 16” mid.
Faxon:  223 Wylde 16” mid or 18” rifle.
Ballistic Advantage:  223 Wylde 16” mid.

View Quote

Criterion
DD
Triarc
Noveske
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 10:31:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Criterion:  223 Wylde 16” mid length

I love mine!
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 11:54:41 AM EDT
[#7]
There are some White Oak options that are in that range.
That along with the Criterion or a Ranier Arms.

I am not familiar with the Faxon but I am with the Ballistic Advantage. Great barrels but the above options are more likely to produce a more accurate barrel.  Make sure you opt for a .223 wylde chamber.

As far as the POI shift that will have more to do with your suppressor and mounting system. A SPR/DMR profile would be a good choice.

What ammo? Factory or Hand Load?
What suppressors and mount ?  
Below is my newest build.  It has a Bartlien 1/8 twist and CLE chamber.  I’d recommend it or a Krieger if you want to up the budget for the best of the best IMO.   That old Phantom suppressor has quite a bit of POI shift.  I am still waiting on my Radiant that’s in jail
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 2:19:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Krieger SPR barrel from Compass Lake is around $500. Also check out White Oak, they’ll do blanks from a few different manufacturers depending on how much you want to spend (I have one of their 16” fluted Wilson SDM barrels and it shoots great, but they also carry Bartlein and Krieger). Proof has some non-carbon barrels in this price range that should also be shooters.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 3:46:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 7:58:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I just went Faxon.  I didn't think the extra scratch was worth the itch
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 10:47:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By mc556:

I am not familiar with the Faxon but I am with the Ballistic Advantage. Great barrels but the above options are more likely to produce a more accurate barrel.  Make sure you opt for a .223 wylde chamber.

As far as the POI shift that will have more to do with your suppressor and mounting system. A SPR/DMR profile would be a good choice.

Below is my newest build.  It has a Bartlien 1/8 twist and CLE chamber.  I’d recommend it or a Krieger if you want to up the budget for the best of the best IMO.   That old Phantom suppressor has quite a bit of POI shift.  I am still waiting on my Radiant that’s in jail
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/87899/C5D7CD3E-7319-49F4-9439-73F01A7FA965_jpe-2294924.JPG
View Quote

Thanks I am definitely going to look into a Bartlien or Krieger now. What group sizes are you getting with match grade cammo? Also what barrel length?
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 10:49:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mc556] [#12]

Thanks I am definitely going to look into a Bartlien or Krieger now. What group sizes are you getting with match grade cammo? Also what barrel length?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/87899/C5D7CD3E-7319-49F4-9439-73F01A7FA965_jpe-2294924.JPG

As of now I haven’t shot any good ammo only some barrel break in with cheaper ammo. Its brand new just deliver maybe two weeks ago. That said I did save a few groups from when I was zeroing in the rifle and they are very promising especially considering I was shooting American Eagle .55g .223.   I have some 77smk I’ve loaded for load development with varget but haven’t shot any of those yet. Once I do I can give you an update
I really hate to post 3 shot groups but all I have is two of those and one 6rd group.  Not a target I’d normally use for groups but great for a initial zero Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 12:11:36 AM EDT
[#13]
I just realized when I said up your budget I was thinking about my invoice being over $700

That was for the barrel plus a headspaced bolt as well as a gas tube and a superlative arms adjustable gas block.
So really the Compass lake barrel is within your budget
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 10:08:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Last week, I took a new 16" Douglas barrel, Recon profile, CLE chamber from Compass Lake. Put a Burris RT6 on it. Got a quick 50 yard zero and shot 3- 5 shot groups at a 100 yards using a bipod and a rear bag. They averaged 1.11 moa with factory Hornady Black 75gr. I can't complain about that with a 6 power scope and factory ammo. The barrel is $400. Planning on taking it back this weekend to try some other ammo. Might throw a 3-15 PST2 on it to see if I can get better results.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 10:13:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By plt228:
Last week, I took a new 16" Douglas barrel, Recon profile, CLE chamber from Compass Lake. Put a Burris RT6 on it. Got a quick 50 yard zero and shot 3- 5 shot groups at a 100 yards using a bipod and a rear bag. They averaged 1.11 moa with factory Hornady Black 75gr. I can't complain about that with a 6 power scope and factory ammo. The barrel is $400. Planning on taking it back this weekend to try some other ammo. Might throw a 3-15 PST2 on it to see if I can get better results.
View Quote

That’s definitely some good shooting with a 6x scope

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 8:29:50 AM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

I'll second White Oak.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:52:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GGtar122] [#17]
I just realized when I said up your budget I was thinking about my invoice being over $700

That was for the barrel plus a headspaced bolt as well as a gas tube and a superlative arms adjustable gas block.
View Quote

Those are excellent groups. I can easily up my budget for that. Thank you for the information.

Also that is a CLE barrel correct? I may pull the trigger on one of those.
@mc556
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 7:51:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mc556] [#18]

Those are excellent groups. I can easily up my budget for that. Thank you for the information.

@mc556
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

@mc556

This will make it super easy
CLE .223 is the chamber. It’s their proprietary chamber that’s a bit tighter than the .223 wylde.
You may want to call them and see if that or the .223 wylde is a better choice for you.  The Wylde is more flexible when it comes to factory 5.56 nato pressure info.
If you Google you will find mixed results with the CLE chamber.
Both are great but the CLE has a shorter throat.
If you have any questions just keep posting
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/6/2022 10:32:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#19]

my priorities:
1) accuracy

View Quote

Don't overlook the Lilja 16" M4 Navy.  Its the original NSWC Crane Recce barrel still made by Lilja today.  Lilja is a small custom company that makes barrels only and every barrel is made to benchrest quality standards.

Mine is sub 1/2 MOA capable five shot groups with Berger match bullets in Lapua Match cases benchrest prepped, when I don't screw up behind the trigger.  The profile is heavy under the handguard where it matters most and straight .725" from the front of the gas block to the muzzle.  Wylde chamber, 1:8 twist, hand lapped. 2.18 lbs, about 34 ounces.  That is only 6 ounces more than the typical 28 ounce 16" standard "government" profile barrel.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 12:02:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Compass Lake
Douglas barrel same as MK 12
The owner of this company was on the team that put the MK 12 project started for the Seals.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 12:19:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Some great suggestions in here. I’m also looking to make a 20” service rifle upper. My budget isn’t as good as your though. Some of my options:
Criterion 20” service rifle stainless steel
Larue 20” stealth
Rosco 20” DMR

I don’t reload right now so I’m looking for something to give me sun MOA with factory match loads.
Sitting on 2k IMI 77g razor core.

Also can’t push much past $400.
Finding a 5.56 barrel is harder than it should be. So many .223 wylde chambers
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 7:49:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mc556] [#22]
Originally Posted By MRTEX:
Some great suggestions in here. I’m also looking to make a 20” service rifle upper. My budget isn’t as good as your though. Some of my options:
Criterion 20” service rifle stainless steel
Larue 20” stealth
Rosco 20” DMR

I don’t reload right now so I’m looking for something to give me sun MOA with factory match loads.
Sitting on 2k IMI 77g razor core.

Also can’t push much past $400.
Finding a 5.56 barrel is harder than it should be. So many .223 wylde chambers
View Quote

Take a look at the White Oak Armament barrels that use the Wilson blanks.  I’m not sure why you would ever take the 5.56 chamber over the Wylde
You can shoot 5.56 through it with zero issues unlike a .223 chamber.
I’ve shot that same razor core through a Rainer .223 wylde chamber barrel with pretty good accuracy. Sub moa and it was just a select grade
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 1:38:44 PM EDT
[#23]
If you have an expertvoice account, they have Proof Research AR15 and AR10 barrels for around $400.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 3:59:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mc556] [#24]
Originally Posted By unrgop:
If you have an expertvoice account, they have Proof Research AR15 and AR10 barrels for around $400.
View Quote

Tell us more I’ve never heard of expert voice ?
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 10:48:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Tell us more I’ve never heard of expert voice ?
View Quote

https://www.expertvoice.com/

https://www.expertvoice.com/who-qualifies/

So any former military gets a discount for numerous companies. Hunting (First Lite), fishing (Allen), camping (Eberlestock), gun stuff (Vortex and Proof). All sorts of companies. They vet you with your DD214 or military ID.

So they have Proof Research barrels for ARs and custom bolt actions. Stainless and carbon fiber. Zermatt Carbon fiber pre fit is $524.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top