Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2022 11:40:48 PM EDT
I have a SPR build that I got a 18” BA premium fluted barrel on and I haven’t been happy with. I know, surprise surprise. So anyway, I’m looking to replace it with a Compass Lake barrel but undecided on either a Douglas or Criterion. Would I notice a difference in the Douglas to justify the higher price? I’ll be just using this rifle at the range and most likely 600 yards or less. 300 majority of the time. I have a 6.5cm for longer ranges. Mostly a range toy to shoot cheaper than the 6.5. Thanks for any advice.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 1:01:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I had a choice between a Douglas from CLE or a Criterion from Craddock Precision, let's just say I chose Criterion and now wish I had gone with the Douglas.

Link Posted: 1/29/2022 11:32:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Would it be worth it to save up to get the Bartlein? What makes them so much better than Douglas?
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 4:12:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Wareagle0775:
Would it be worth it to save up to get the Bartlein? What makes them so much better than Douglas?
View Quote

I suppose it depends on exactly what performance you demand.

Me, when my AR builds start crowding the 1" mark, I get satisfied. When they shoot slightly under the 1" mark at 100 yards, I'm very satisfied. I have multiple budget builds that will crowd the 1" mark at 100 yards. I'm happy with that.

Unless you get really lucky (some budget barrels actually shoot good), performance costs, and when you pay a higher price, you rightfully so should have higher expectations IF all the other aspects involved are on par. That is... good glass, good ammo, other quality parts, and good shooter skills.

I've sent three barrels back to BA... they want to advertise MOA, I'll hold them to it until I "get lucky" and receive a barrel that shoots ok. Have you tried their return system?
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 5:03:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Bowhntr6pt:

I suppose it depends on exactly what performance you demand.

Me, when my AR builds start crowding the 1" mark, I get satisfied. When they shoot slightly under the 1" mark at 100 yards, I'm very satisfied. I have multiple budget builds that will crowd the 1" mark at 100 yards. I'm happy with that.

Unless you get really lucky (some budget barrels actually shoot good), performance costs, and when you pay a higher price, you rightfully so should have higher expectations IF all the other aspects involved are on par. That is... good glass, good ammo, other quality parts, and good shooter skills.

I've sent three barrels back to BA... they want to advertise MOA, I'll hold them to it until I "get lucky" and receive a barrel that shoots ok. Have you tried their return system?
View Quote

No I haven’t talked to BA yet. I think I’ve decided to go with the CLE Krieger. I’ll continue to shoot the BA while I wait for the Krieger to come in. After I go to the range again I’m gonna take pics and talk to BA. I’ll end up using the BA on another project or sell it if I get a good one. I really should have done more research when I was planning the build. I also would be happy at a MOA. My BA is far from that. I have a BA modern series barrel on another AR and I’m happy with that one. The “Premium” is the problem child. I’ve tried all types and weights of ammo. None are really close to MOA.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 5:24:33 PM EDT
[#5]
No I haven’t talked to BA yet. I think I’ve decided to go with the CLE Krieger. I’ll continue to shoot the BA while I wait for the Krieger to come in. After I go to the range again I’m gonna take pics and talk to BA. I’ll end up using the BA on another project or sell it if I get a good one. I really should have done more research when I was planning the build. I also would be happy at a MOA. My BA is far from that. I have a BA modern series barrel on another AR and I’m happy with that one. The “Premium” is the problem child. I’ve tried all types and weights of ammo. None are really close to MOA.
View Quote

I had two barrels that shot wild ass groups at 100 yards, I'm talking 10" +/- and ended up damaging my AEM5 suppressor. I made a very detailed post with pics on this site documenting my problems. Despite asking multiple times, they never disclosed what their "testing" found with the returned barrels.

I just sent another .223 BA barrel back as it was quite gouged up internally upon receipt. Unlike others' experiences, I've had positive responses when returning the barrels.

Just ordered their .750" gas block, supposedly with their logo, ended up receiving a plain non-logo gas block. I know that's petty, but it's an all BA build so I kind of wanted the logo'ed gas block.

I am pretty much done with BA from here on out. They certainly do put up a good front on social media though.  

Have not done a lot of testing with my Criterion from Craddock, but initial range results were not that great, wish I just went Douglas from CLE.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 5:36:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Xram] [#6]
It’s possible to get a shooter from any of those manufacturers - the chances just increase as you go up in quality and it is basically assured at the Kreiger / Bartlein level. If you’re just aiming for sub-MOA it might be worth having BA send you another barrel before you shell out any more cash.

If you’re looking to spend a little less than the top-tier CLE barrels but still want to be sure about sub-MOA performance you might also take a look at White Oak. I’ve seen mixed reviews of barrels spun from Criterion blanks but most seem happy with the Wilson-blank White Oaks around the same price point. I have one of their 16” SDM barrels and it shoots 77gr IMI well enough for me (mine hovers around .6-.7MOA for 5 shot groups and I’m not the worlds best shooter).
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 7:43:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Just get a Krieger and be done with it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 9:45:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Targis:
View Quote

I believe that’s what I’m gonna do.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 12:31:06 AM EDT
[#9]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Get a Kreiger it is worth the wait and extra dollars spent. Or have Cradick, CLE, or WOA make their barrel out of a Kreiger blank.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 1:19:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I just ordered a CLE Krieger barrel. Thanks for the input everyone.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 5:53:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Curious about your lead time? I have a CLE Krieger 308 due in March.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 6:11:03 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

Website said up to 12 weeks. We’ll see.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 6:15:47 PM EDT
[#13]
IM sent oP
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 9:53:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon] [#14]
Originally Posted By Bowhntr6pt:
I've sent three barrels back to BA... they want to advertise MOA, I'll hold them to it until I "get lucky" and receive a barrel that shoots ok.
View Quote

And that's the basis for their marketing ploy.

Link Posted: 1/31/2022 10:15:40 PM EDT
[#15]
What ammo are you using? M193 and M855 are notoriously inaccurate. Buying a premium barrel and using FMJ's simply won't cut it.

Try Federal Gold Medal Match, Black Hills or Australian Outback to find out how well it shoots with better ammo.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 12:03:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
What ammo are you using? M193 and M855 are notoriously inaccurate. Buying a premium barrel and using FMJ's simply won't cut it.

Try Federal Gold Medal Match, Black Hills or Australian Outback to find out how well it shoots with better ammo.
View Quote

I’ve tried several different ones. M193 which I wasn’t expecting much accuracy from. American Eagle 75gr, Hornady Frontier 75gr, a few others I can’t recall at this time. I tried some FGMM 69 SMK the last trip. It was the best results. Still not MOA. Maybe 1.5 on the best group then around 2 on another couple groups. I had my buddy to shoot my rifle to see. Same results. I made sure scope is tight to eliminate that possibility.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 9:39:04 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I ordered the first week of Jan and mine shipped today. It was a Barlien SPR profile CLE chamber
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 11:53:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RedTeam98] [#18]
I built my MK 12 Mod 0 using the correct Douglas barrel from Compass Lake
IMR 8208 with 77MK at top Vel loads are sweet shoots even better with can on it !
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 5:48:59 AM EDT
[#19]
I had a single .308 Bartlein blank cut in half and made into 2 identical 300 BLK barrels by CLE with their house barrel extension. I had a custom 0.775" under the handguards, 16" fluted .223 Bartlein CLE made with an oversized barrel extension I supplied. All barrels I sent a JP bolt to headspace the barrel to which was no extra charge.

The 300 BLK is the most accurate 300 BLK barrel/rifle I have ever shot. Not had the opportunity to shoot a more accurate 300 BLK bolt gun, but it probably exists. Not so sure a more accurate under 16" semi AR15 in 300 BLK exists. The .16" .223 is also the most accurate AR15 I have ever personally shot in .223/5.56 caliber.

I have a 16" Krieger .223 Wylde SPR profile made by Krieger sitting in a box for when the CLE wears out, but it is much heavier (about 8 oz heavier due to SPR .850" profile and no flutes).

I will continue to buy Bartlein blanks for precision builds. CLE is not expensive and the build quality acceptable. I asked for the gas port to be between the lands on all builds and they did it perfect with .223 but with 300 BLK they slightly went into a land on both barrels an equal amount on both.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 11:12:34 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm thinking about ordering the CLE or WOP Bartlein SPR barrels (18" 223). Pricing is ball park the same, availability is reasonably close (I'm in no hurry)... Any real difference in the 1:7 vs. the 1:7.7? Assuming 77g grain and below and 600 yards or less usage.

Anyone else I should throw into the mix? I was also eyeing the CLE SDM-R (20" fluted).... any opinions on that?CLE SDM-R

-ZA
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 12:11:05 PM EDT
[#21]

I’ve tried several different ones. M193 which I wasn’t expecting much accuracy from. American Eagle 75gr, Hornady Frontier 75gr, a few others I can’t recall at this time. I tried some FGMM 69 SMK the last trip. It was the best results. Still not MOA. Maybe 1.5 on the best group then around 2 on another couple groups. I had my buddy to shoot my rifle to see. Same results. I made sure scope is tight to eliminate that possibility.
View Quote

My competition rifle is built with a CLE Bartlien barrel. It shoots slightly under 1/2moa with Berger and Sierra smk handloads and about .7moa with the highest quality commercial ammo such as Razercore and Black Hills OTM.

It shoots *over* 1moa with m193, American Eagle, and other bulk pallet-grade ammo. If you want consistent sub-moa or even 1moa accuracy don't even consider that stuff. You won't get there no matter how nice your build is.

Link Posted: 4/27/2022 12:14:27 PM EDT
[#22]
I had a CLE build me an SPR w/ the Douglas barrel. Most accurate gas gun Ive ever owned. That gun made it look easy...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top