Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/7/2015 6:05:12 AM EDT
Every once in awhile I see something talking about a certain rifle that is a classic, heirloom rifle that just increases in value.  I'm not looking to buy, I'm just curious if there are still American made, fancy wood stock rifles that are great shooters and investment grade? Not so much custom rifles although maybe that's all there is these days but preferably a known, established brand. As I said, I'm not looking to buy but it is something I've always considered buying if I had the means.  Sorry if this isn't the right place for a question like this but nothing else seemed more relevant.  Thanks
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 9:22:16 AM EDT
[#1]
One of the higher end Dakotas maybe.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 10:12:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#2]
Current production?  Affordable and off the regular production line, like pre-'64 Winchester 70 Featherweight or Remington 725 (more rare and incredible example of what the 700 could have been)?

This will be difficult.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 10:23:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Cooper Rifles
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:18:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe a Browing X-Bolt Medallion. Great wood, nice fit and finish, pretty sexy rifle.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 12:17:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tomcat11-64:
Cooper Rifles
View Quote

I agree.  I've got one I put in the EE here, but I've just about decided to keep it around because it's such a nice rifle.  I'd love to keep it for one of my 4 young boys to us.

Another nice heirloom is pretty much any custom/semi-custom rifle, imo.  Pretty easy to give the kiddos something that really stands apart.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 1:25:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I took a look at Cooper, they make some beautiful rifles.  I guess they are sort of a custom/commercial manufacturer since they have been around so long.  I was thinking more of something from a long time company like Browning, Remington, Weatherby...

Anything distinctly, classic American?
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 1:47:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Disco_Stu_TX] [#7]
Steyr Spoon Handles, Sauer Rifles, High end Coopers.

EDIT - DERP, American Made. Scratch first two.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 6:16:48 AM EDT
[#8]
kimber rifles

Dont know anything about them, but they do look nice.  

Winchester model 70 Supergrade

I dont know if the latest version of the model 70 is us made.  But for classic american bolt guns the model 70 would be hard to argue with.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 7:58:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 5:06:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By johnh57:
kimber rifles

I dont know if the latest version of the model 70 is us made.  But for classic american bolt guns the model 70 would be hard to argue with.
View Quote

I like the idea of the Model 70 Super grade.  How does it stack up against the other non-custom rifles listed? Is there a "more collectible" year range and caliber?
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:30:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Brandi:

I like the idea of the Model 70 Super grade.  How does it stack up against the other non-custom rifles listed? Is there a "more collectible" year range and caliber?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
kimber rifles

The Model 70 and the Kimber are the best production bolt rifles made in the Country at this time. The Model 70 production is being moved to the FN facility in Portugal at this time and these guns are showing up now, I think the tail end of the American Model 70s will be somewhat desirable. The Number 1 Rugers (beautiful guns) appeal to many people and production is slowing way down, its an expensive gun to produce and we may be seeing its end. Any of the Light weight hunting rifles wearing nice wood have become very desirable as they have all but disappeared.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:56:59 AM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes
kimber rifles

My dads: 1950 ish, model 70, .270, supergrade.

I have a model 70, .270 win, crf supergrade I bought new 10 or 12 years ago - nice rifle but not in the same league as a pre 64.  As I understand it the pre 64 supergrades were more than cosmetically nicer (better wood, cheekpiece) but the actions were essentially bluprinted at the factory.

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:05:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By MS556:
Current production?  Affordable and off the regular production line, like pre-'64 Winchester 70 Featherweight or Remington 725 (more rare and incredible example of what the 700 could have been)?

This will be difficult.
View Quote

IMO, the 720 is the best bolt gun Remington ever made.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 9:06:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Very interesting and informative, thank you :)

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 9:22:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:

View All Quotes

This will be difficult.

And the only Magnum lenght action, I beleive.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 9:23:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Ill pass on the Kimber, they are a bastardized version of the M70 and 700. Think of a 700 receiver with a M70 bolt. Dakotas and Coopers are very nice rifles, as are Supergrades. Speaking of Ruger the M77 MKII Express and Magnum models were a cut above the regular line with fancy walnut stock, forend tip, 1/4 rib, bbl band. Very classic rifles, would love a 30-06/375 H&H set. IMO if you want  real heirloom find a mint 1903 which -Mauser notwithstanding- is the genesis of modern American sporting rifles.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 9:59:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Well you said US made so that limits it.  

The Browning White Gold Medallions are beautiful but are made in Japan.  I have two A Bolt II WGM's and really like them.  One in 270 and one in 300 WSM.

The Remington CDL is a darn nice factory gun too but still like the Browning's they are a production gun with pretty wood.

The Coopers and Dakotas are very nice but are pricey.

Too bad KDF quit making guns because Kleingunthers are very very nice for a semi custom bolt gun.  And their prices keep going up on the used ones.

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 10:05:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperJlarge] [#18]
I took a look at Cooper, they make some beautiful rifles.  I guess they are sort of a custom/commercial manufacturer since they have been around so long.  I was thinking more of something from a long time company like Browning, Remington, Weatherby...

Anything distinctly, classic American?
View Quote

How about a Thompson? The Chicago typewriter is distinctly american and will always have a tie to history. I'd think that the FA versions will only go up in value. Very recent history has demonstrated the supply and demand principle of FA's.

Pre 64' Winchesters are always coveted as well, and are substantially less of an initial investment.

Edited: You're looking at bolt actions; the Thompson is clearly out of the question, and yet undeniably cool.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 10:38:48 PM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes

This will be difficult.

The Trabant is the best car VEB Sachsenring ever made.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 10:43:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Anything can be an heirloom . It doesn't have to be expensive , it just has to be something that you use and create memories with.

A solid dependable rifle that your not afraid to scratch - in fact those scratches and dings become bookmarks in a history book that you can pass down

A very expensive rifle that your afraid to scuff and hardly ever gets used may be an investment you pass down , but it's not an heirloom in my opinion
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 10:51:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:

View All Quotes

This will be difficult.

Try to be less stupid
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:14:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Red-ryder:
Anything can be an heirloom . It doesn't have to be expensive , it just has to be something that you use and create memories with.

A solid dependable rifle that your not afraid to scratch - in fact those scratches and dings become bookmarks in a history book that you can pass down

A very expensive rifle that your afraid to scuff and hardly ever gets used may be an investment you pass down , but it's not an heirloom in my opinion
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:29:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Red-ryder:
View Quote

Very true. The one gun in my safe that will never be sold is a '94 winchester that my grandfather bought for $35. While I can't see him anymore, everytime I open my safe I see that 30-30 and think about him. I've been oiling and cleaning that gun for 20+ years, even before it was mine. The memories overshadow the monetary value of everything else that resides in my safe.

For years I've been meaning to have his name followed by mine engraved on it to show the lineage, and this post may have been the incentive that I needed to follow through.

Thank you
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:51:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Leave it as is.  
Or leave room for your heirs, to add too it
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 12:47:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By 458winmag:

Try to be less stupid
View All Quotes

This will be difficult.

Try to be less stupid

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 12:56:31 AM EDT
[#26]
It's not woking
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 1:02:49 AM EDT
[#27]
It's not woking
View Quote

Did I piss in your Wheaties at some point?
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 1:09:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Nope.  And you seem to be determined to ef up this OP's post with car shit.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 1:14:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Nope.  And you seem to be determined to ef up this OP's post with car shit.
View Quote

Would you like a Junior G Man badge? Maybe a gold star? A cookie?
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 1:22:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Yes.  
And I'd like you to STFU and not mess up this thread
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 2:27:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Yes.  
And I'd like you to STFU and not mess up this thread
View Quote

You're welcome to shit in one and and wish in the other and see which one fills up first.

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 7:48:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 5:17:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Thank you Aimless, this isn't the first time he and I have had issues and others have had issues as well.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 5:44:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 10:26:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Aimless:
I removed him from ar in 12  
View All Quotes
Thank you Aimless, this isn't the first time he and I have had issues and others have had issues as well.

I'm pretty sure he told one of the female members that she wasn't pretty......

Sorry for the derail, Brandi.  It was a good thread while it lasted, but I'm still going to give more votes for the current semi-custom stuff like Cooper, Dakota and Kimber than anything from Winchester and Remington.  And I really don't see how a Savage would ever be an heirloom without simple sentimental value.  The Cooper website has their stuff marked several hundred dollars higher than street value, not sure if the others are the same way.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 10:54:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#36]

View All Quotes

This will be difficult.

Well, one particular 720, the 725.  Here is mine in the excellent and rare .280 Rem. chambering, with period Bausch and Lomb Balvar 5.  No, it is not for sale.  This is what the 700 should have been.  Note the checkered metal buttplate, three position safety and the classic stock with hand cut checkering.  This was a production rifle.  I have owned this rifle and scope for 40 years and inherited it as is from the original purchaser who bought it new in 1958.

Full profile.

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 11:04:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Every once in awhile I see something talking about a certain rifle that is a classic, heirloom rifle that just increases in value.  I'm not looking to buy, I'm just curious if there are still American made, fancy wood stock rifles that are great shooters and investment grade? Not so much custom rifles although maybe that's all there is these days but preferably a known, established brand. As I said, I'm not looking to buy but it is something I've always considered buying if I had the means.  Sorry if this isn't the right place for a question like this but nothing else seemed more relevant.  Thanks
View Quote

I really like looking at the older Winchester lever actions.  The gun room at my local Cabelas is a wish room.  My BIL has a Winchester shotgun collection that is phenomenal. He has guns that go back 100 years that I use white gloves to handle.

If I had to pick one, I wouks start collecting Winchester Model '94s

Regards,

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 11:53:09 PM EDT
[#38]
The current Weatherby Mark V is a classic.  It has changed little and has excellent claro walnut, deep bluing, real checkering and excellent fit and finish.

http://www.weatherby.com/product/rifles/markv/deluxe
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 12:26:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#39]

View All Quotes

This will be difficult.

My guess is that you lack familiarity with the 725.  Might want to do a bit of research.  It is based on the 720-721.  And many knowledgeable gun writers considered it better than the Winchester Model 70 Featherweight against which it competed.  Reasonable minds differ, but it was and remains a superb example of design and workmanship before both Remington and Winchester started cutting corners and lowering production costs in the early to mid 60s.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 12:29:17 AM EDT
[#40]

My guess is that you lack familiarity with the 725.  Might want to do a bit of research.  It is based on the 720-721.  And many knowledgeable gun writers considered it better than the Winchester Model 70 Featherweight against which it competed.  Reasonable minds differ, but it was and remains a superb example of design and workmanship before both Remington and Winchester started cutting corners and lowering production costs in the early to mid 60s.
View All Quotes

This will be difficult.

The 720 uses a much different bolt than the 721, 722, 725. All three of those are cheap versions of the 720.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 1:03:47 AM EDT
[#41]
The current Weatherby Mark V is a classic.  It has changed little and has excellent claro walnut, deep bluing, real checkering and excellent fit and finish.

View Quote

Came to post this. Quintessential, beautiful, commercially available non-custom,  rifle. Buy a post Howa production for US made (since 1994).
They offer them in 3 non-Weatherby magnum calibers now if you don't need a magnum.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 8:11:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By SCW:

Sorry for the derail, Brandi.  It was a good thread while it lasted, but I'm still going to give more votes for the current semi-custom stuff like Cooper, Dakota and Kimber than anything from Winchester and Remington.  And I really don't see how a Savage would ever be an heirloom without simple sentimental value.  The Cooper website has their stuff marked several hundred dollars higher than street value, not sure if the others are the same way.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SCW:

No worries, I had actually written it off when it went south but I'm back now

Obviously anything can be heirloom, I have a few already but I'm looking specifically for a "higher end" bolt action.  I think from everybody I've read on here, I like the Winchester Super Grade.  Not over the top but a beautiful, well made classic American rifle.  Since I won't own a "foreign made American rifle", the new ones are out.  I don't need something to hunt with, I have a great hunting rifle, so it would be something "nice" to shoot occasionally, admire and pass on.  Although if I got something in .338 Win mag, on the one in a million chance I ever had the chance to hunt something really big, I could use it.  Anywho, it's all hypothetical any way so unless I win the lottery. I gotta start playing the lottery.

Thanks for all advice and information, I now know what I would buy if I could
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 11:25:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#43]

The 720 uses a much different bolt than the 721, 722, 725. All three of those are cheap versions of the 720.
View All Quotes

This will be difficult.

I guess my "cheap version" is junk to you.  However, Layne Simpson, Field Editor of Shooting Times, reached a different conclusion:

"The Wayne Leek-designed Model 725, which I consider to be the most handsome and best-handling standard-production bolt-action rifle ever built by an American arms company, was introduced in 1957."

Layne Simpson is highly regarded in sporting arms circles and is not alone in his assessment of the 725.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 11:28:45 PM EDT
[#44]

I guess my "cheap version" is junk to you.  However, Layne Simpson, Field Editor of Shooting Times, reached a different conclusion:

The Wayne Leek-designed Model 725, which I consider to be the most handsome and best-handling standard-production bolt-action rifle ever built by an American arms company, was introduced in 1957."

Layne Simpson is highly regarded in sporting arms circles and is not alone in his assessment of the 725.
View Quote

I don't think it's junk, I just believe the 720 is a nicer rifle. To me, the 721, 722, and 725 are just early 700s.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 11:53:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By 1elkaholic2:
Maybe a Browing X-Bolt Medallion. Great wood, nice fit and finish, pretty sexy rifle.
View Quote

Sorry to go off topic...

Did Browning discontinue the maple version? My fiancee was looking for one in .30-06 as a whitetail rifle, but someone at a gun counter at Cabela's (...) mentioned they were no longer made. She has since decided the BAR would work, but I really liked the X-Bolt.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 11:57:23 PM EDT
[#46]

I don't think it's junk, I just believe the 720 is a nicer rifle. To me, the 721, 722, and 725 are just early 700s.
View All Quotes

The Wayne Leek-designed Model 725, which I consider to be the most handsome and best-handling standard-production bolt-action rifle ever built by an American arms company, was introduced in 1957."

To me, the attraction of the 720 is its rarety.  If I understand correctly it was merely evolutionary, an "improved" Model 30, which was merely a civilian version by Remington of this British Enfield, based on the Mauser.  The 720's low comb stock was intended to be used with a receiver iron sight and would not work very well with a scope.  It is beautiful in a "iron sight" rifle era way and certsinly well-made.

The 721-722-725, and the 700 derived from them, represented a revolutionary clean slate in design.  Of them, the 725 was the zenith.  The 700 lost the three position safety and gained a lot of stamped metal parts instead of forged or cast and introduction of plastic buttplates, cheap impressed checkering and plastic grip caps.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 12:13:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RhinelandArms] [#47]

View Quote

Came here to post my vote for Weatherby. They are very nice rifles, and I think the one I enjoy to shoot most. Of course you will never really know what will be desirable to another generation or 2.

For me old Winchester lever actions would have been something I would have loved to inherit.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 1:30:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By FueledByRamen:

Sorry to go off topic...

Did Browning discontinue the maple version? My fiancee was looking for one in .30-06 as a whitetail rifle, but someone at a gun counter at Cabela's (...) mentioned they were no longer made. She has since decided the BAR would work, but I really liked the X-Bolt.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FueledByRamen:
Originally Posted By 1elkaholic2:

Sorry to go off topic...

I just saw a Maple Xbolt 30-06 at a Bass Pro shop.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 10:30:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Weatherby Mark V deluxe.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 11:44:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#50]
Yes. I undestand that Weatherby has now moved production of the actions and barrels in house, rather than Japan.  The Deluxe is still the same as my German Sauer maufactured Mark V action crom the mid '60s, pictured here, but now all-American.

These two rifles are true heirlooms, inherited by me from my father-in-law.  The bottom one is a Mark XXII .22 LR.  The top is the Mark V Deluxe in classic .300 Weatherby.  Forgive poor old cellcam photo.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top