Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2017 8:58:19 PM EDT
I'm seriously thinking about getting one.  Maybe used or new as I think they might have stopped production.  What do you all think about it?  I don't feel like building my own and I'm a big fan of Steyr rifles.  I also like the fact that they're real sniper rifles.  Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:49:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rrbgeb] [#1]
Great guns.  Love the set trigger.  

Hated the fact the chamber was tight, liked factory ammo or small based sizing.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:49:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Very accurate, the single trigger models never had a really great trigger though so I'd try to find a double set. The only real drawback to them is the plastic trigger guard and magazine that can shatter if dropped from a decent height. The other issue is the factory rings are grossly overpriced. I put a rail from Steyr on the last one I had.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 12:13:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jcarrol] [#3]
I have a SSG 69 PII. It comes with factory rail and no irons. And barrel is a tad thicker than the original P1s.

Single trigger but it is sweet and light at 2.75 lbs. I am a stubby armed person so I removed the stock spacers to min LOP. It is veeerrrryy accurate. The factory load it loves is the Creedmore 167grn Scenar round. Loaded in Lapua brand brass. Playing with handloads now but haven't found that sweet load yet. OD green stock.

Wanted one ever since Chuck Norris used one in the opening scene of "Lone Wolf McQuade"

http://imgur.com/yxfsKxO

That one was the P1 model.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 3:23:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 80085] [#4]
SSG69's are out of production. The SSG04 and SSG08 are the new models.

Steyr just released a new model (pro hunter heavy barrel) that according Steyr's Austrian gunsmith at Steyr USA, uses the same action and barrel as the higher priced 04 and 08. It's guaranteed to be sub moa from the factory and is my most accurate gun.

The pro hunter threaded heavy barrel is a 20" .308 threaded 5/8x24. You can install the full length top rail from the SSG04A1 or any of the SSG08 chassis's. I have the SSG04 stock and SSG04A1 rail on mine. Very nice gun and the most accurate of all my firearms.

You can buy the pro hunter threaded heavy barrel with 20moa base for $1100.

Forgot to mention that the pro hunter threaded HB comes with 5rd mags. You can get the SSG04 magwell and use 10rd mags, which is what I did.

Will put a picture up later so you have an idea of what it is.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:29:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I have one and I really like them.

As others have mentioned, the plastic magazine well and magazines are fragile. So long as you keep solvents away from the plastic, they tend to last fairly well - mine is '70s or '80s original and has never cracked.

The magazines came in 5rnd and 10rnd capacity for .308 Win. 10rnd mags are really expensive and quite hard to find - I heard Steyr ceased production of them. Both are a rotary design, similar to the 10/22 magazine.

It is now possible to buy aftermarket bottom metal that takes AIC magazines and is far more durable. Not cheap, but worth it if you want more capacity or durability. Here's a link to a product page.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By maleante:
Steyr just released a new model (pro hunter heavy barrel) that according Steyr's Austrian gunsmith at Steyr USA, uses the same action and barrel as the higher priced 04 and 08. It's guaranteed to be sub moa from the factory and is my most accurate gun.
View Quote
Sounds similar to the Pro Hunter Tactical they sell in Europe. They have a lot of features for the price - I'm suprised they aren't more popular.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 11:13:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:41:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bratworst] [#7]
I believe the SSG69 stocks are just injection molded.  As is $300 WalMart rifle injection molded.  So they flex, even if the trigger guard is intact.  Barrels are 1/12" twist which may preclude heavy bullets if that is your thing.  As far as being a real sniper rifle, I bet the Remington 700 killed more badies this year than all of the SSG 69s that may have seen combat.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:14:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: F224] [#8]
The SSG's are really great rifles but are no longer in production. You might find one over at CDNN on closeout. In the ARFCOM EE rifle section there is an unusual version of the Steyr Scout, a 20" stainless heavy barrel threaded version that is fairly priced;
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_93/1681452_WTS-New-Steyr-Scout-308-Pics-.html

I've had two Steyr Scouts, both were sub MOA rifles and if in the market, I'd buy that one in a heartbeat.

Once you have handled the Scout stock in the field, you will quickly come to appreciate how handy it really is. Only better rifle is a Blaser R93 or R8.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top