Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2017 9:15:24 AM EDT
Have a Remington 5r Gen II and a Mcmillan A5. Want to glass bed the rifle. No gunsmith around me will do the work. Where would you send it to get the work done?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 9:53:51 AM EDT
[#1]
How handy are you?

I've done all my own beddings with Devcon 10110 and they turned out great.

A little nerve racking the first couple of times.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 2:12:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GAZ32:
How handy are you?

View Quote
Would rather pay to have it professionally done.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 9:35:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By tinytim54:

View Quote
How much?
300$
400$
500$

whereas you can do it yourself for $50 and 10-hours of labor.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 10:38:24 PM EDT
[#4]

View Quote
Short Action Customs or GA Precision.

Here is a link to do it yourself. Not as hard as some think.

http://rifleshooter.com/2013/07/skim-bedding-and-pillar-installation-on-a-remington-700/
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 2:21:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By GAZ32:
How handy are you?

View Quote
This and That.

Devcon 10110 is awesome for bedding an action. Watch some videos on youtube. Get some tape, q tips, gloves and modeling clay. OP, you can do it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:16:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Hill country rifles
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 10:44:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mathecb] [#7]
Originally Posted By MitchAlsup:

How much?
300$
400$
500$

whereas you can do it yourself for $50 and 10-hours of labor.
View Quote
10 hours of labor? Dear lord, what all do you do to it? It takes me about 1.5-2 hours of labor to pillars and steel bed, then pop it out of the stock the next day.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 1:24:43 PM EDT
[#8]
It's stupid easy. You can do it in an hour or two and it's cheap. Get yourself some devcon and pam cooking spray. This is no more difficult than pressing a coin into silly putty.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 4:22:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By bossco14:
Hill country rifles
View Quote
Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 8:57:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Thanks.
View Quote
you are welcome. I'm planning on sending them a rifle for there acurizing package after this season. I've heard nothing but good things of there work!
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:40:52 AM EDT
[#11]
I skim bedded my 5r, it won't need much. Super easy. Unless you are not inclined mechanically. Once you do one, you'll see, then you'll bed everything like a cheap slut.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 3:07:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Long Rifles Inc will do it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 8:06:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By bossco14:
Hill country rifles
View Quote
+1

The guys Hill Country Rifles are fantastic to deal with!
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:41:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Bob's custom firearms in palmetto Georgia is not far from you. Bob does all my work is very talented and extremely detail oriented. He just finished a Howa long action 300wm in a McMillan a5 for me.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:58:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Alex Sitman - Master Class Stocks. He's considered one of the top five guys in the country and is used by big name 1000 yard bulls eye, bench rest and F-Class competitors. He is not fast and not cheap, high quality work is his guarantee.

You want his pillar bedding, it's artfully done.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:11:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I have bedded four rifles, two of them twice. It is time consuming and attention to detail is a must. If it doesn't work out, you do it again. It is not something to be undertaken lightly, however, there is no way I would send anything other than a custom barreled long range rig to one of the experts. An excellent job can be done at home if you do your home work and have everything handy and available when you start.

I use Devcon steel epoxy, but consider Marine-Tex every bit as good. You will need lots of vinyl gloves, masking tape, paste wax, vinegar, Dremel bits, files and patience. Brownells sells extended action screws that make the job a lot easier. My first attempt was a Savage 110 .308 featherweight barrel hunting rifle and I didn't get the barrel low enough in the barrel channel. I Dremeled out a bunch of epoxy and lowered the action further into the stock the second time around. It consistently shoots quality ammo into 1" groups at 100 yards.

It was a learning experience which was helped by the fact that I wasn't willing to pay $300+ dollars to have a $350 rifle bedded.

Because you have a premium fiberglass stock and have never attempted this before I think having it hired out is a smart choice. Doan Trevor would be another great choice. Alex Sitman has built several long range rifles for me. I've never been disappointed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top