Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2017 1:37:30 PM EDT
I'm looking to do a little upgrading on my Remington.  It's a 308, 26" varminter barrel, ADL, stock trigger, cheap flimsy plastic stock, Nikon 4-12 ProStaff scope, Leupold rings (medium height, i think), and a damaged scope base...

So i've got about $200 i can spend on it, i already have bottom metal to go BDL.  I'm thinking about getting the Timney 510 trigger, and a Talley scope base.  Trigger is about $115, scope base is $65, and i'm thinking about getting one of the cheap, flimsy BDL stocks for $10, be better than what i currently have.  All parts will be coming from Red Hawk.

Does anyone have any experience with Talley scope bases, or should i go with a different vendor?

The range i have access to is 225 yards, i can go shoot at another range that's 500 or 600 yards (eventually),for that distance, what height scope base should i go with?  I'd like to go from 100 to 600 yards with this gun.  0 moa base, or 20 moa base?
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 2:08:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spartacus2002] [#1]
the best thing you can do within your budget is to replace the trigger.  Trigger is the soul of a rifle, barrel is the heart.  Without a good trigger, you cannot shoot up to your potential.  Timneys are good, Jewells are good but more expensive.  I haven't used Rifle Basix so maybe someone else can address them.

If you really want to make your rifle accurate, save the $$ to eventually replace the cheap flimsy stock with a good, sturdy, rigid stock.  This will be more expensive.  Could go with a HR Precision if you are on a budget, could go all the way to Manners or McMillan if you want to splurge.  But that cheap flimsy stock WILL hold you back.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 3:04:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, a McMillan stock is where i eventually want to be, but considering i can get the BDL factory take off stock for $10, that allows me to use my bottom metal while i save up.

Is the Jewell trigger worth the extra money over the Timney?
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 3:14:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KentuckyMarksman:
Yeah, a McMillan stock is where i eventually want to be, but considering i can get the BDL factory take off stock for $10, that allows me to use my bottom metal while i save up.

View Quote
The Tmney Calvin Elite is similar to the Jewell , they are about the same price.

They are nore adjustable and can be adjust to lighter pull weights.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 3:20:14 PM EDT
[#4]

View Quote
I will let others with more experience answer that.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 3:41:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I think for the rifle you described, the Timney 510 is just fine. I like 2.5 lb, but you can go 1.5-5 lbs I believe in the 510.

The Timney Calvin Elite and the Jewell HVR are on another level. It's what you will find in the majority of the PRS rifles.

Don't rule out B&C for a less expensive alternative to the McMillan stock.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 4:00:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok, the Timney 520 Calvin Elite is $181, sounds like it may be worth it over the 510 model.  

How are the Talley scope bases?  Any good, or should i look elsewhere?
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 4:09:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Crown & Trigger first!
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 4:15:33 PM EDT
[#8]
But my current scope base is damaged...
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 5:21:52 PM EDT
[#9]
The hogue tactical stock is a POS but a better POS than the factory plastic stock that is on the ADL... They are sturdier and seem to mount better.... The hogue is 50.00 from sniper central....

Cheap upgrade
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 6:19:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Timney 510 and a used b and c or hs stock or similar.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 6:30:36 PM EDT
[#11]
But my current scope base is damaged...
View Quote
how much damaged?  unusable?
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 7:07:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Poop3rscoop3r] [#12]
Talley lightweight mounts are my go-to. Off the top of my head I believe I have 6 rifles with them. They're all lighter weight hunting rifles with the exception of a varmint contour 222 Rem that never gets shot past 300 yards or so. 

If you have no need for a 20 MOA mount they're a solid option. 

ETA: I see you're looking at their rail. I've never seen one but everything else Talley that I have seen works very well. I can't imagine the rail is a bad product. 
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:09:16 PM EDT
[#13]
MidwayUSA has a deal right now where if you get a Magpul Hunter stock you can get a free bottom metal and magazine. Its on their home page.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:50:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, my scooe mount isn't going to be usable.  Looks like i'll be getting the Talley 0 moa base, and see if i can get thr timney trigger as well.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:57:01 PM EDT
[#15]
EGW makes really nice scope bases.

EGWGUNS.com
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 3:41:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Spearjunkie:
EGW makes really nice scope bases.

EGWGUNS.com
View Quote
EGW bases, especially their HD line, are very good.  I hate to admit it, but I can't see any better quality in my Badger bases that cost 3X more.  

Yes, Jewell triggers are worth it.  The best prices I've found are at Gre-Tan, and Bruno's Shooters Supply.  

When building a precision rifle, it isn't really one thing, but all the parts that make the rifle consistently accurate.  For a stock, I'd find an old take off from a 700 VS.

They are getting to be almost antiques now, but the late 1990's vintage Leupold M1 Long Range 3.5-10x40mm scopes were very good, and can be found used for reasonable prices.  I have one I got from Premier Reticles back in the day that is always held zero.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 1:24:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By cruciantime:
MidwayUSA has a deal right now where if you get a Magpul Hunter stock you can get a free bottom metal and magazine. Its on their home page.
View Quote
Just placed my order. Thanks for the tip!
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 12:01:07 PM EDT
[#18]
If anyone lives near Wichita, Ks., Bell and Carlson has their factory store there also(factory blems)...just sayin.

Happy Trails.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 2:00:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Azygos] [#19]
Re:triggers, I decided to install a TriggerTech and will try it out this year. TriggerTech doesn't have quite the long history of Jewell, Timney, Rifle Basix, etc., however, they can't be all bad if Surgeon specs them on a $6k rifle.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 5:34:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Easiest and cheapest is to free float the barrel and glass bed the stock. Get good rings and scope. Clean the barrel. Handload the ammo. If it still doesn't shoot, trade it in.

I'm looking to do a little upgrading on my Remington.  It's a 308, 26" varminter barrel, ADL, stock trigger, cheap flimsy plastic stock, Nikon 4-12 ProStaff scope, Leupold rings (medium height, i think), and a damaged scope base...

So i've got about $200 i can spend on it, i already have bottom metal to go BDL.  I'm thinking about getting the Timney 510 trigger, and a Talley scope base.  Trigger is about $115, scope base is $65, and i'm thinking about getting one of the cheap, flimsy BDL stocks for $10, be better than what i currently have.  All parts will be coming from Red Hawk.

Does anyone have any experience with Talley scope bases, or should i go with a different vendor?

The range i have access to is 225 yards, i can go shoot at another range that's 500 or 600 yards (eventually),for that distance, what height scope base should i go with?  I'd like to go from 100 to 600 yards with this gun.  0 moa base, or 20 moa base?
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 4:18:03 PM EDT
[#21]
I have the Timney 519 (flat) trigger and like it alot. I also have an EGW 20 moa base and that works well was a out $20.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 1:36:36 AM EDT
[#22]
I'd recommend a bell and Carlson stock around 230$ I think and a timney 510 tuned down to about 2.5lbs. For now. Maybe a 20moa base as well. Later on down the road maybe consider having the muzzle threaded for a brake. Then I'd upgrade your optics.
Just all depends on what kind of money you want to dump into it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 2:45:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteveOak] [#23]
Get the Jewell trigger and wait until you can afford a good stock.

Continuing to pull on an inferior trigger will be spending time, money and wear and tear on learning bad trigger habit that will take as long or longer to unlearn.

All of the lesser stocks mentioned will eventually need to be replaced if you are actually looking for accuracy. Shoot what you have until you can afford a good stock or get a takeoff, beater wood stock and bed it yourself. Good learning experience. In the HS Precision stocks I have seen recently the aluminum betting block is not straight.

I would talk about the cartridge but you probably wouldn't understand that anyway so I will save my breath.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:04:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By SteveOak:

I would talk about the cartridge but you probably wouldn't understand that anyway so I will save my breath.
View Quote
Oh please do tell....
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 12:11:28 PM EDT
[#25]
The few Boyd's laminate stocks I've used are solid as hell and cheap to boot. They would be a solid choice if you don't want to shell out big bucks for a stock. 700s are pretty easy to glass bed as well. Just take it slow and do it in segments. 
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 10:17:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Get the Jewell trigger and wait until you can afford a good stock.

Continuing to pull on an inferior trigger will be spending time, money and wear and tear on learning bad trigger habit that will take as long or longer to unlearn.

All of the lesser stocks mentioned will eventually need to be replaced if you are actually looking for accuracy. Shoot what you have until you can afford a good stock or get a takeoff, beater wood stock and bed it yourself. Good learning experience. In the HS Precision stocks I have seen recently the aluminum betting block is not straight.

View Quote
I broke my budget and went with the Jewell trigger, Leopuld scope base and rings, and the $10 take off stock to use till i can afford a better one.

I'm planning on shooting 308 for the time being, it's so i don't have to invest in another caliber and shoot with the barrel i already have.  I own 2 other 308s.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 12:10:04 AM EDT
[#27]
I always stay on budget until I open the box for what ever I bought
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 12:56:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperJlarge] [#28]

I broke my budget and went with the Jewell trigger, Leopuld scope base and rings, and the $10 take off stock to use till i can afford a better one.

I'm planning on shooting 308 for the time being, it's so i don't have to invest in another caliber and shoot with the barrel i already have.  I own 2 other 308s.
View Quote
What ammo are you feeding this rifle? What size groups are you getting consistently?

You've already got the trigger, and it's a nice one, but an old 700 walker trigger for 50-60$ could have been tuned to 2.5-3lbs. That's a perfectly usable trigger and inexpensive. Did you have the black factory trigger or the silver one?

Without a free floated barrel and a fairly rigid stock, you'll never get the full benefit of a better trigger. This is because you won't know if your shooting and trigger pull has improved if you are getting larger than anticipated groups due to the stock. I shot for years with a stock 700 sendero. Decent HS Precision stock and a heavy 5.5lb trigger, but that thing would shoot! That rifle is the same configuration still, I've just had the trigger tuned to 2.75lbs.

If you're serious about upgrading this to a precision rifle, and if you have 3 .308's, sell 1 and use the proceeds to get a better stock and perhaps upgrade the optics. Also, if you're not running match ammo, invest in that as well.

Stocks:
Grayboe (you like McMillians)
HS Precision (700p/VS/5R takeoffs)
B&C
Magpul....I guess they work, surely not everyone is buying them only for running AICS mags.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 2:52:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KentuckyMarksman] [#29]
Yeah, i have another 30 cal i'm thinking about selling to help pay for a better stock.  The 308s are off limits right now, they're keepers.

I had the silver trigger, it wasn't x-mark pro, lower than that.  The rifle was a $350 special at Dicks a few years back.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 3:12:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By popnfresh:
Oh please do tell....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By popnfresh:

Oh please do tell....
I'm also curious as to why .308 is such a bad 100-600 yard round for those of us new to precision, especially since the OP already owns the rifle. It doesn't burn barrels as fast as some of the flatter-shooting hot rods like the 6-6.5mm offerings, and has more widely available ammo.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 5:38:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Azygos:

I'm also curious as to why .308 is such a bad 100-600 yard round for those of us new to precision, especially since the OP already owns the rifle. It doesn't burn barrels as fast as some of the flatter-shooting hot rods like the 6-6.5mm offerings, and has more widely available ammo.
View Quote
Because gamers will game, and some folks always have to be looking for every possible improvement. Don't get me wrong, they're fun games, and there ARE improvements, but for the vast majority of folks the 308 will work just fine and the cost advantage if you are already setup for it is significant. Long term it will make sense for shooters to start moving to the new rounds, particularly if they are starting from zero and are relatively casual shooters. That might seem counter intuitive, but one of the few mechanical disadvantages for the newer stuff is the barrel burn rate. If you fire a couple hundred rounds from the rifle a year at most then that isn't a factor at all.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 1:52:47 AM EDT
[#32]
What Jewel trigger did you end up getting? Looks like there are a few options...Which ones you guys like the best?
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 1:56:06 AM EDT
[#33]
On the brunos site they have Jewels but all diff ones. Which model do I want?
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 9:29:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By 71Camaro:
On the brunos site they have Jewels but all diff ones. Which model do I want?
View Quote
Top safety, bottom bolt release.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 9:30:42 AM EDT
[#35]
I got the HVT trigger with top safety and bottom bolt release.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:27:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Just my $.02 but if one of my friends was in your position I would tell them to buy a used HS stock (there are some on the hide and here) get an egw base because they work fine and the price is right, and have a good gunsmith tune your factory trigger, nothing wrong with a factory trigger if it's tuned right especially for your rifle no sense in throwing a $200 trigger at a rifle when the barrel is making contact with the stock under a load and your scope base is broken.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:46:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By eblack:
Just my $.02 but if one of my friends was in your position I would tell them to buy a used HS stock (there are some on the hide and here) get an egw base because they work fine and the price is right, and have a good gunsmith tune your factory trigger, nothing wrong with a factory trigger if it's tuned right especially for your rifle no sense in throwing a $200 trigger at a rifle when the barrel is making contact with the stock under a load and your scope base is broken.
View Quote
Wanted a new trigger so i didn't have to deal with the recall.  Didn't want to have to buy another trigger later.  Saving up for a better stock.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:29:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eblack] [#38]

Wanted a new trigger so i didn't have to deal with the recall.  Didn't want to have to buy another trigger later.  Saving up for a better stock.
View Quote
If you have it tuned the recall won't matter the trigger will be taken apart and regreased. Or you could get an old style Remington trigger with the grooves on the cheap and have it tuned. Badass old triggers hell I have one in my gap 300wm
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:33:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By eblack:

If you have it tuned the recall won't matter the trigger will be taken apart and regreased. Or you could get an old style Remington trigger with the grooves on the cheap and have it tuned. Badass old triggers hell I have one in my gap 300wm
View Quote
Have it tuned, why bother? Seems like a bunch of fucking around to end up with a mediocre trigger in the end.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:32:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Why not it's $20. Like I said a $200 trigger on a rifle that has a junk stock is throwing money away. I have a Timney 510  in my match rifle but I like the old style triggers as well. For this guy I don't see much reason doing that but it's his $ so whatever his priorities are I guess.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top