Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2016 9:16:17 PM EDT
I just joined a range with a very nice long range facility out to 1250 yards.  I'm new to anything over 500 yards, and I want to learn as I go.

I have a t3 lite in .308 that I hunt with, what is a reasonable expectation with this thing?  I haven't shot it much at all outside of sighting in and hunting.

I'm considering getting a 20 moa base for it and some ammo, it is worthwhile or just save up for something else?

Link Posted: 12/15/2016 9:34:38 PM EDT
[#1]
It sounds like you should be looking at two different guns - one for hunting (lightweight, scope, base, and rings for shorter range) and one if you want to do longer range. I had a Tikka T3 Lite in .308 it was a nice little rifle, but not the best for trying to shoot accuracy over distance with due to the smaller stock (would have been good for hunting or if I had to carry it around for any amount of time) it definitely had the accuracy, it was the comfort/fit that was lacking. Sold it for a Remington 700 VTR to do my target shooting with, much more comfortable to shoot for me (better fit). I also felt like the action and trigger is smoother on the 700.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 12:35:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Rickety.  My plan is to eventually get a 6.5, I know that will be a better option.  I'm just wondering if it's worth it to spend a few hundred on ammo and a base right now for the tikka to get some practice under my belt.  I'm concerned that it will be a pain to shoot such light rifle for any length of time.

I guess I'll take it out as is and shoot a box of my hunting ammo to see what it's like.  If it's not too bad, I'll pick up a couple different boxes of match to try out and a scope base.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:50:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I have sold off my DTA and use several tikkas now.  I've rebarreled them in 6.5 calibers and shoot competition with them - They are every bit as capable as guns way more expensive than them, and much more reliable than my DTA ever was.

You can rebarrel if you like, there are great aftermarket parts (chassis, etc).

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 6:02:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Keep the 308 for hunting and buy a 6.5 creedmoor for around 600 bucks, depending on what you buy, to stretch out to 1000 yards +. Not saying it's impossible to do with the 308, will just be easier with the creedmoor.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:02:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bearcat24:
Keep the 308 for hunting and buy a 6.5 creedmoor for around 600 bucks, depending on what you buy, to stretch out to 1000 yards +. Not saying it's impossible to do with the 308, will just be easier with the creedmoor.
View Quote

That's my plan, it's just that I'll need to buy glass/rings/mags too, so that puts it off a little while.  I'm definitely keeping the .308 for hunting, it's perfect for what I use It for.  I'll take it out in the next few days and let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:07:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Heavy rumor that Tikka is releasing the T3x lite in 6.5 2017.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top