Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/24/2016 2:01:55 PM EDT
I need to pick up a compact 7mm-08 for my son and wife.   Trying to decide between Ruger American, savage axis, and mossberg bantam. Having a hard time decided. Not looking to shoot more then 200 yards.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 2:22:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, not the mossberg. I'd probably go for the Axis personally but feature for feature the Ruger looks like a better gun. Those I've handled were good little guns. I'm personally not a big Ruger rifle fan but I am a Savage fan. If it weren't for that, it'd be Ruger all the way on this one. I have a mossberg rifle from recent production and I am less than impressed.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 8:51:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I have recently bought a Ruger GSR .308 and a Ruger Alaskan .375R, neither are what you are inquiring about, but both are very nicely fitted, finished, and have good triggers.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 9:01:19 PM EDT
[#3]
There's also the Savage lightweight hunter (11 or 16).
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 9:21:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GlutealCleft:
There's also the Savage lightweight hunter (11 or 16).
View Quote

Remington still builds a youth model 700 in 7'08 don't they?
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 3:35:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Mossberg seems to be like you either like them or you don't.  I do.
The bolt head and barrel system are very similar to Savage. The bolt body and receiver are very similar to Howa / Weatherby Vanguard. Maybe that's why I like them. They are pillar bedded, come with a very nice trigger and shoot good. The best part about affordable rifles these days is regardless of who makes them they all shoot better than production guns did 20 years ago.  The second best part is you don't wince when you scratch them.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:37:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TactEng] [#6]
I recommend the Ruger American in 7mm-08.

I have one and it is my go-to field rifle. I can easily ring steel at 500 yards with it also.

Low recoil and accurate.  I have a Nikon Prostaff 4-12x BDC scope on it.

Trigger adjusts down to 3lbs.  Axis is a decent rifle but with a terrible trigger. Mossberg is hit or Miss unless you are talking about shotguns.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 7:41:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I also recommend the Ruger American, although I have never handled the Savage.

I have the RA Compact in 7mm-08.  It was bought to replace my son's rem Model 7 in 7mm-08 that I bought him in 1995 when he was one year old.  Killed a bunch of deer with that rifle "breaking it in for him".

I reinforced the RA stock and the forearm with Bondo resin.  I also attempted to get the trigger down to 3 lbs, wasn't able to, even after clipping 1.5 coils off the spring.  I finally replaced the OEM spring with a spring from a Bic pen and now I have a perfect 2 lb trigger.

I've killed five does with that rifle since Nov. 18 of this year.  All but one were one shot kills, DRT.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 8:36:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I recently purchased a Ruger American Preditor in 6.5 creedmore. I used it for hunting this season because it shoots so well. My son will be using this one in the future.

I have owned and loaded the 7-08 and I loved it. You will get a little more speed over the creedmore with the 140 gr bullets. Both would be great starter guns for anything up to elk.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 12:27:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I have both...Savage Axis and Ruger American Predator.  The Predator has a slightly thicker barrel than the Ruger compact..22" long also.  My Savage is in 22-250 and the Ruger is 6.5 Creedmoor.  It would be tough choosing between the two, but if I had to, I'd choose the Ruger in 6.5 Creedmoor...the accuracy is just outstanding.  On my first outing, I was knocking down small silhouettes at 400 yards constantly.  I know it has the same accuracy at 1000 yards...it's in the 6.5 ballistics.

Happy Trails!
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 3:40:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ballisticxlr:
Well, not the mossberg. I'd probably go for the Axis personally but feature for feature the Ruger looks like a better gun. Those I've handled were good little guns. I'm personally not a big Ruger rifle fan but I am a Savage fan. If it weren't for that, it'd be Ruger all the way on this one. I have a mossberg rifle from recent production and I am less than impressed.
View Quote

I have both ruger's and savage's, model 77's and model 16's not the axis or american.  I would skip the axis and look at the axis 2 vs ruger american.  Both guns are pretty light and may have decent recoil with 140 grain 7mm08 loads.  May want to start them on reduced recoil loads.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 3:49:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm kind of enamored with the 7mm-08 ballistics.  I think my next purchase will be a 308 of some sort, but my next custom build will be a full on custom 7mm-08.  I'm thinking of a Defiance Deviant action attached to a Bertlin barrel stuffed into a Cadex chassis.  Drool, probably about 18mo of saving up for me to afford it though.  That'll complete my quad-fecta of precision rifles:

7mm-08
260REM

All variations of the 308 parent case and the capability to reform brass between the calibers if required.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 9:11:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By EvilVaquero:
I have both...Savage Axis and Ruger American Predator.  The Predator has a slightly thicker barrel than the Ruger compact..22" long also.  My Savage is in 22-250 and the Ruger is 6.5 Creedmoor.  It would be tough choosing between the two, but if I had to, I'd choose the Ruger in 6.5 Creedmoor...the accuracy is just outstanding.  On my first outing, I was knocking down small silhouettes at 400 yards constantly.  I know it has the same accuracy at 1000 yards...it's in the 6.5 ballistics.

Happy Trails!
View Quote
I just boght a RA Predator as well today.  Mine is in .223.

I plan to cut the barrel to 19" or 18 1/2".  If I do, then a couple years from now, when silencers are legal, how hard is it to re-thread the barrel?

Need to find another Bic pen for the trigger.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 6:39:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Merlin:
I just boght a RA Predator as well today.  Mine is in .223.

I plan to cut the barrel to 19" or 18 1/2".  If I do, then a couple years from now, when silencers are legal, how hard is it to re-thread the barrel?

Need to find another Bic pen for the trigger.
View Quote

I have no idea how hard it would be, or how much it would be, but I do know, if I was you (and I know I'm not)  I wouldn't waste my time or money for just 3" of barrel length.  And silencers in the majority of States are now legal.

Happy Trails!
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 8:22:49 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a Ruger American in .308, it's a great deer gun.  I plan on picking up 2 more, one in 6.5CM and another in .30-06
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:22:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By EvilVaquero:

I have no idea how hard it would be, or how much it would be, but I do know, if I was you (and I know I'm not)  I wouldn't waste my time or money for just 3" of barrel length. And silencers in the majority of States are now legal.

Happy Trails!
View Quote

I meant once the $200 tax/form 4 shit is kaput.  Using silencers for hunting is legal here in TN.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 11:46:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Caesar01] [#16]
My 10 year old son has a Ruger American Compact in 7mm-08. We hunt a bean field and he can knock them down at 200 yards all day. He shoots the Horandy Custom Lite 120 grains and its about 1.5" at 200 yards. Nikon Prostaff 5 3.5-14x42 on top. I have bout $700 bucks in it and Im very pleased. Buy the Ruger.

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 4:18:25 PM EDT
[#17]
I have the Ruger American compact in 308 i am very surprised how accurate it is even with the crappy stock it comes with.  My vote is Ruger although I know the Savage is a darn fine rifle also.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top