Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2014 9:21:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -SkyRaider-]
Trying to price a Remington 40-X in .308.

Never fired.  It has both the "stock" stock and a benchrest stock with custom graphics.  None of it has ever been used.  Extractor was upgraded by a gunsmith.

Actually to be fair, it was fired by the gunsmith.

Any ideas?  Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:56:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends on options . You can order a lot of special features from Remington. My first thought is I always  doubt the round count . I would say $1100- 1500 as a guess , The stock may or may not have a value , My brother has one he bought new a few years ago
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:08:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By whiskerz:
Depends on options . You can order a lot of special features from Remington. My first thought is I always  doubt the round count . I would say $1100- 1500 as a guess , The stock may or may not have a value , My brother has one he bought new a few years ago
View Quote

Hell I've got well over $3 grand into the gun and it's never been fired, other than by the gunsmith.  If I could only get $1100 for it, I may as well keep it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 10:37:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Sig_Prude:

Hell I've got well over $3 grand into the gun and it's never been fired, other than by the gunsmith.  If I could only get $1100 for it, I may as well keep it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Fools and their money....

Seriously, it's a $1000 to $1500 gun once it leave the factory into private hands.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 10:42:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Baldmonk:

Seriously, it's a $1000 to $1500 gun once it leave the factory into private hands.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Baldmonk:

Who are you calling a fool?
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:55:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#5]
No name calling please but yea you may have overpaid based on the information supplied.  

No high end $2k scope that came with it at that price?  Some well known stock  from a recognized builder of winning rifles his work will  fetch a grand not counting the base rifle.   Can one get that spent money back out of it?  That's the $1000 question.  A basic McMillan benchrest stock is nice but not all that much money.

I have been offered old stock 40x .308's for $400.   That was a bit of a bargain but I didn't want a single shot version.  I have a custom .308 repeater build on a 700 already so I wasn't so motivated anyhow.  

I would say a basic 40x is an $800-1200 gun depending on configuration.  I am probably a little out of date/touch though.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:48:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: whiskerz] [#6]
It is not never been fired either. I would rather have an actual round count that what you wrote in the first post . I see guns for sale all the time with "test fired only" was that a 10 round test or a 10,000 round test ?  .  It may look great but that is the first thing to run a lot of buyers away.  Why was it at the Gunsmith ?   It is a gun you can order for close to what you are asking and get the exact gun you want . albeit with a 5-13 month wait

. Look at guns that have sold on other websites . The market for all guns right now is soft also. The custom stock is only of value to a guy who wants that stock . The more custom an item is the less the market is for the item .  Not everyone has the same idea of custom. Green with purple flames will not appeal to a guy who likes wood and blued finishes.

I got the estimate I gave you by looking at buy it now prices on Gunbroker . Those are actual prices I can buy a comparable gun at . Not numbers I just pulled from the air,.

Sounds like you are in it too deep . Might as well shoot it and enjoy it .
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 2:04:57 PM EDT
[#7]

View All Quotes

Unfortunately I have to agree with the others here, it's a $1000 rifle, depending on the buyer maybe $500 more.  It is still a Remington 700 based factory rifle with factory barrel. (Unless I misunderstood your original post, apologies if I did)  Honestly the factory barrel is worth $0. It is a parts gun if the stocks are worth something.   If it was a custom made on a custom BAT, Defiance etc action it would be worth the $3k you have in it.  I always advise friend building rifles to go with a custom action you can always get your money back.  Not so with a factory action, it sucks I know but it's reality unfortunately.  Buy a $300 700 spend $7-$800 blue printing , sleeving, bushing, adding Sako ext, etc and immediately off the lathe your now $1000-1100 Rem 700 is worth $50-$100 more than you paid for it off the shelf.  Speaking from experience and as I said it sucks I know.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:14:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -SkyRaider-] [#8]
By the way, what I somehow forgot to mention is that this is a 40-X Tactical.  I would think that makes a finite difference...

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:42:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: safetyoff] [#9]

By the way, what I somehow forgot to mention is that this is a 40-X Tactical.  I would think that makes a finite difference..

View Quote

It doesn't  

ETA: Possibly being a tactical may give you a slightly larger pool of potential buyers.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:37:06 PM EDT
[#10]
can you list specs & pics?
so its all stock w/ just an extractor upgrade?

seems odd it would come w/ bench rest stock & no other mods

is it a 40-x or a 40-xb /40-xs?

a 40-xs is prolly worth that much as it comes w/ glass
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:59:29 PM EDT
[#11]
When I searched a tactical for sale I found as low as $900 and as high as $2300 all with no optics
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:53:29 PM EDT
[#12]
How did this 40 X become a over $3 grand rifle and stock and BR stock with custom graphics?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:27:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Most of the estimates from those who responded to your question are
on the high end.  I checked my LGS's pricing resources and came up with
this: $650 as the starting point.

Models such as the 40XB Tactical can bring $2400 if they are in
original condition, have all the paper (manuals, proof of ownership,
etc.) and the original box would help.

A good online resource is Firearms Price Guide.com, you can look it up
yourself.
http://www.firearmspriceguide.com/guns/search/remington/100

ALL of the shops I trade with have the same policy regarding so called
"custom" or after sale work/accessories/parts and that is they are
worth nothing, they only go by book value and condition.  Many shops are
becoming reluctant to buy any gun that is not in original condition due to
liability.  So unless they did the extractor, some shops will low-ball you.

Now if you can find a private buyer who likes what you are selling then that's
the best route to go.

Ted
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top