Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2016 4:45:19 PM EDT
I need some advice on what do with my Rem 700. Rifle is a  TWS (police) model circa 1995 with aftermarket stock and DBM.

So backstory is I traded for a Rem 700 in 308 off the EE here. Love the rifle and shoots great. Still playing with loads but when I do my part I get .5 - .75 inch groups @ 100yards. Unknown round count or what was shot through her.

Upside is it's accurate and butter smooth with a great trigger

Downside to the rifle is it's not threaded and I just got my Form 1 can approved.

So my choices for a threaded barrel are:
1) sell/trade for a 308 threaded
2) send barrel away to a place like ADCO to maybe cut the 26in barrel back a few inches and thread
3) re-barrel to a threaded barrel (least possible as cost involved)

I would like to do #2 but I wonder how much life is left on the barrel. I am nowhere a high volume shooter and typical loads are 44gr Varget on 168gr AMAX.

Any advice is appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 5:06:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jim] [#1]
cut to 20-22" & thread 5/8-24. Until accuracy shits the bed , shoot it. Average bbl thread is $1-150 (depending if they refinish, etc. A new bbl plus install, or different rifle will run you way more then cut & thread existing bbl.

With that accuracy you're foolish to do anything other then what i suggested
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 5:53:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Check your IM's OP.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 7:03:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jim:
cut to 20-22" & thread 5/8-24. Until accuracy shits the bed , shoot it. Average bbl thread is $1-150 (depending if they refinish, etc. A new bbl plus install, or different rifle will run you way more then cut & thread existing bbl.

With that accuracy you're foolish to do anything other then what i suggested
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:26:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Just went through almost this exact situation myself. I decided to have ADCO cut my 700P barrel to 20" and thread to 5/8x24. Only difference is I've owned the rifle since it was new so I know the round count and it was still worth it to me.

Stuck an ASR MB on it and it works GREAT with my Omega. Cut the recoil quite a bit both suppressed and unsuppressed and there is no perceptible POI shift at 100yds.

I'd say it's worth it for you if the barrel is still holding groups. Mine was about .75" at 100 before and it still is.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:18:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for replys. Going the thread route in a few months when cash is available.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:47:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Is ADCO still who everyone recommends for a precision rifle threading? They've done a 700 for me and lots of AR's, but I didn't know If there was a different route a guy might/should look?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:29:30 PM EDT
[#7]
ADCO is good to go. Fast turn around time, decent prices and top notch work.

Not much reason to go with someone else.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:19:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Eagle_19er:
ADCO is good to go. Fast turn around time, decent prices and top notch work.

Not much reason to go with someone else.
View Quote

Shipping and insurance is big thing for me, could add nearly $100 to the job.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:11:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I also use Short Action Customs in Wellington, OH for precision rifle work. (and it's a closer drive for me than Toledo)
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:43:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I just got a SPS Varmint cut back to 20" and threaded by Class 3 Machining. They have a thread on here and best way to contact is through Facebook.

$75 total and it shoots better than before it was chopped

I've had a few barrels done there and all have been perfect
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top