Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2015 9:44:21 AM EDT
I want a Tikka that I can use for range shooting out to 400 and hunting deer or maybe occasionally something bigger like elk or black bear. I'm leaning towards the super varmint MT in 7mmx08 but I'm not sure if it would be better to go with the T3 Lite adjustable. I like the rail and barrel on the varmint model but not sure if the weight will be too much for a hunting rifle I'll be carrying all day. I also want a good scope that would work for hunting and target shooting. I used a Sightron S3 at the range the other day and really liked it. I've budgeted $1500 any advice? Thanks  
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 11:19:24 AM EDT
[#1]
For hunting I always say go light as you can especially if your walking all day with a pack etc. The T3 lite is still a very accurate gun and its super lightweight. I would recommend a vortex scope you really cant go wrong with them. Where did you find a tikka super varmint in 7mm-08?
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 11:53:15 AM EDT
[#2]
^^^ that. And for hunting rifles avoid exposed target turrets. Keep it low profile and high quality. Your budget is about right. Figure on half of that going to good glass.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 2:16:48 PM EDT
[#3]

I have the T3 light in stainless (243) and love it. Very accurate.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 3:11:32 PM EDT
[#4]
They list it as an available caliber on the webpage. I agree with you that the T3 lite is accurate. I watched a guy at the range shoot a 100 yard 3 shot group that he covered with a dime. He had a T3 Lite in .308 with hand loads. Does the accuracy hold when the barrel gets hot on a T3 Lite?
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 3:15:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RePp] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wvar15:
They list it as an available caliber on the webpage. I agree with you that the T3 lite is accurate. I watched a guy at the range shoot a 100 yard 3 shot group that he covered with a dime. He had a T3 Lite in .308 with hand loads. Does the accuracy hold when the barrel gets hot on a T3 Lite?
View Quote

I saw the caliber list but I couldn't find anyone that actually imported one. How long of strings do you plan on firing? Ive shot mine to where they were very hot and still killed the creatures I was shooting at. I have a 7-08 T3 lite in a KRG chassis I use for hunting and shooting varmints.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 3:21:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By CSW223:

I have the T3 light in stainless (243) and love it. Very accurate.
View Quote

.243 is the other caliber I was considering. I mostly hunt deer so it would be plenty.

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 3:24:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By RePp:
I saw the caliber list but I couldn't find anyone that actually imported one. How long of strings do you plan on firing? Ive shot mine to where they were very hot and still killed the creatures I was shooting at. I have a 7-08 T3 lite in a KRG chassis I use for hunting and shooting varmints.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thanks that's what I wanted to hear. I'm going to buy the T3 Lite. I have another rifle that shoots really well until it gets hot then the groups start to open up a lot. I wasn't sure if the T3 Lite would do the same

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 3:39:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Thanks that's what I wanted to hear. I'm going to buy the T3 Lite. I have another rifle that shoots really well until it gets hot then the groups start to open up a lot. I wasn't sure if the T3 Lite would do the same

View All Quotes

I have a lite in 270wsm and it shoots fine when hot as well.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 8:51:15 PM EDT
[#9]

View All Quotes

Yea no kidding, get that outa your head now.

Beretta imports less than 20% of what tikka makes. Been there done that with Beretta USA asking about specific models.  If you don't see it in stock with Eurooptics, there is a 99% chance it is not imported.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 9:06:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Primus_Pilus:

Beretta imports less than 20% of what tikka makes. Been there done that with Beretta USA asking about specific models.  If you don't see it in stock with Eurooptics, there is a 99% chance it is not imported.
View All Quotes

Or a gun broker search. You'll have no problem getting a lite in a 7-08 or damn near any caliber.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 11:16:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Or a gun broker search. You'll have no problem getting a lite in a 7-08 or damn near any caliber.
View All Quotes

He was asking about a varmint, which has a heavier barrel. You know so u can like, shoot more than 4 round before your shots string.  People wanted a .308 varmit for years before the CTR came out, only a few made it in country and they were highly sought after. Haven't been imported for years but they show up on tikka's website. Same with threaded barrels on every gun.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 10:29:38 AM EDT
[#12]

He was asking about a varmint, which has a heavier barrel. You know so u can like, shoot more than 4 round before your shots string.  People wanted a .308 varmit for years before the CTR came out, only a few made it in country and they were highly sought after. Haven't been imported for years but they show up on tikka's website. Same with threaded barrels on every gun.
View All Quotes

Thanks for the help I'm very well what he was asking. Why I asked where he could find a 7mm-08 varmint cause I could never find one but the lite in 7-08 is very easy to find.  We also covered the more then 4 shots thing. It would be awesome if we could get the full Tikka lineup.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:32:16 AM EDT
[#13]
I ended up getting the stainless T3 Lite in .243. For optics I bought a Vortex 4-16x50, and used a Warne one piece scope rail with Warne rings. I couldn't be happier. With the cheap Federal 100gr soft points, I'm getting some groups I can cover with a dime at 100 yards. Other groups were less than 1 MOA. I'm sure that will improve as I try other ammo. I'm a Tikka customer for life after seeing how well this one shoots.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top