Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2015 8:58:09 PM EDT
A friend put a Remmy 700 into a chasis system (don't know the brand). To my surprise the poi shifted up 8 minutes even though the previously zeroed scope was never unmounted from the action or rings. Windage did not change at all. No change in factory ammo or substantial change in environment during re-zero on a level, KD range. Scope dials were not spun as zero stops were in place. Dollar bill passes cleanly between the barrel and stock up to the BO oversized recoil lug. Chasis was modified to accommodate the large lug. Bolts torqued to around 60 in-lbs. No substantial forearm flex under bipod load. Rifle does group consistently, but I'm a little surprised by this shift. Is this a sign of a problem? Could a badly fit lug that's overtorqued cause this?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:00:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Just rezero and let it eat.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:04:23 PM EDT
[#2]
if you change ANYTHING you have to rezero.  shift doesn't surprise  me.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:05:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Just a POI shift and not a change in accuracy? Wouldn't worry too much about it, just re-zero and go with it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:39:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Something was or is stressed  in the action area of the stock. Is the bottom of the recoil lug hitting the the bottom of the recoil slot?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:14:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gsd1983] [#5]
Shift happens. Check for stress points if any. Address those, get it back to zero and shoot the damn thing.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:32:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By devildog3062:
Something was or is stressed  in the action area of the stock. Is the bottom of the recoil lug hitting the the bottom of the recoil slot?
View Quote

This. But ultimately how is the accuracy now? What type of stock was it taken out of?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:08:19 PM EDT
[#7]
If the POI had moved down, I'd say "don't worry about it" as the issue was in the prior stock.

However with the POI moving upward in the new stock, the cause of the rise in POI is most likely in the new stock, suggesting something in the action is badly stressed.

Even if it's shooting well, it's still not set up right and you're far better off fixing it.

The chief suspects are things that cause upward pressure on the front of the action or on the barrel, whether it's a high spot near the front of the action, or a lack of support at the rear tang.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:08:54 PM EDT
[#8]
If the POI had moved down, I'd say "don't worry about it" as the issue was in the prior stock.

However with the POI moving upward in the new stock, the cause of the rise in POI is most likely in the new stock, suggesting something in the action is badly stressed.

Even if it's shooting well, it's still not set up right and you're far better off fixing it.

The chief suspects are things that cause upward pressure on the front of the action or on the barrel, whether it's a high spot near the front of the action, or a lack of support at the rear tang.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top