Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2019 11:47:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MSC182]
I’ve had a few pierced primers with Berger factory ammo in my Bergara. Reading up on the issue, it seems there is a consensus that the bolt doesn’t work well with small rifle primers. I’m going to send these same pics to Bergara, but I suspect they’ll tell me to use large rifle primers. I hate to stop using the Berger ammo as I have a couple hundred rounds and it shoots well, but I don’t want to do anything stupid either. Other than bushing or replacing the bolt, is there anything I can do?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 11:56:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Common issue.  Bergara will take care of you.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 11:59:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ThePitt:
Common issue.  Bergara will take care of you.
View Quote
I hope so, I just sent them the same pics.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 12:00:43 PM EDT
[#3]
If all else fails, have the bolt bushed by a competent smith (Longrifles Inc) and then run military primers as they have thicker cups.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 1:37:08 PM EDT
[#4]
If the ammo is using CCI 400's or any of a number of other SRP's, you'll get this sort of thing. Switching to BR4's or CCI #41's or CCI 450's will deal with the issue sufficiently most times. You can have the bolt bushed and the striker turned down as well if you get continued piercing. I just switched to SRP's in my 6XC and had to deal with the same thing.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 9:44:57 AM EDT
[#5]
You need a bushed bolt. Sending it back to Bergara *may* temporarily resolve the problem, but it's very likely going to happen again at some point. It will undoubtedly start happening more often if you leave it alone. The root cause is their firing pin holes are too big for SRP cases, and the best Bergara is going to do is replace the bolt which may get you a hole thats .001-.002 smaller? Maybe.

Getting the bolt bushed will stop all of it, forever. You won't even crater primers anymore.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 9:45:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Yup, bushing the bolt is needed. This is a common problem with many manufacturers.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 10:56:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I was getting cratering so bad with my 6.5 HMR (mild load of H4350) using SRP brass I could hardy get them in the shellholder to deprime them.  Sent the bolt to Gretan for a bush job and problem solved.  Problem staying solved.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 10:13:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys. I’m going to send the bolt to a smith to get bushed. Bergara wasn’t a lot of help, they basically said switch to LRP ammo.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 10:35:37 AM EDT
[#9]
How is the bolt lift? Are you getting clickers at the top of the bolt throw?....I see ejector swipes on a few of the cases, looks like some high pressure along with needing the bolt bushed.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 4:26:57 PM EDT
[#10]
FYI OP, Lapua just came out with LRP brass for 6.5 Creedmoor and all Berger ammo is changing to LRP so you don't have to get your bolt bushed.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 2:08:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By peeholestinger:
FYI OP, Lapua just came out with LRP brass for 6.5 Creedmoor and all Berger ammo is changing to LRP so you don't have to get your bolt bushed.
View Quote
Interesting, thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top