Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2019 11:37:55 AM EDT
Not looking to break the bank here... purpose is to shoot little holes on paper/ hit small gongs/ groundhogs 100- 500 yards.  I will only use this rig maybe 3-5 times a year

Want to use factory ammo

What will do it straight out the box?Looking at 6.5 Creedmoor Budget $800 if I can do it for less that would be great

What scope to go with it? Budget $400-900 again if I can keep it down that would be great.
I’m used to weaver grand slam glass and Nikon monarch glass I don’t want lesser glass.

I would like to use rangefinder and dial in the target. Ffp or sfp?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 12:41:01 PM EDT
[#1]
The only real answer is the Savage Desert Tactical in 6.5 wearing a Vortex Diamondback Tactical FFP of your choosing.

Using factory ammo I always group under an inch and can repeatedly hit gongs 700 yards away.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:55:31 PM EDT
[#2]
If I had a tight budget and limited use I would get a Thompson Center Compass, and mount a Cabellas Covenant 5 FFP scope. All in just under $800
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 12:10:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: slappomatt] [#3]
nikon FX-1000 if you want FFP or X1000 if you dont care and are cheap like me.6-24 obviously.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 12:18:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M4tth3w] [#4]
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 9:27:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cone256] [#6]
Ruger American Predator with a Magpul stock, with a Vortex HS-T of your flavor

Link Posted: 7/25/2019 5:39:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Athlon ARES BTR
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 1:38:03 PM EDT
[#8]
.22-250 or .223 or .204 ruger would be my go-to if you're wanting to punch groundhogs and similar size rodents. The same bullets that'll work for those will work fine to 500m on steel though high winds will get challenging at the far end of that and shifting winds will drive you mad (that's the whole fun of varmint shooting, doping the wind). For ghogs/pdogs/belding's squirrels and the like (basically long range rodents) you want as fast (and fragile) of a bullet as you can get. 3500-4200fps is good territory to be in as it makes them exceptionally flat shooting and spectacularly lethal on rodents. I'm partial to the .22-250 as it makes >4000fps with trivial ease and makes rodents shoot up into the air like bottle rockets when you get a good center mass hit with a nicely fragile bullet. For super fast light bullets you'll end up wanting a slower twist to keep bullets from blowing up right out of the barrel at extreme speeds. The slower twist will not be suitable for larger projectiles as they will not be stabilized.

For a scope, little critters far away, so I'd be looking for something with a fine crosshair in second focal plane with a magnification range somewhere around 3-18x or 4-20x (at least that's what I've found works easiest). Your budget will determine the optic as much as anything. I really dig on the Leupold vx3i 6.5-20x but I also use a fixed 16x. Fixed power high mag is something you won't enjoy when varmint hunting, they're a pain in the butt.

Complicated reticles are probably not going to be your friend, same with FFP reticles with relatively thick lines at the top end.

For projectiles, I like Barnes Varmint Grenades and Speer TNT's. They give very visually impressive results.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 8:43:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Bushmaster AR.223 with the 24" barrel and a Leupold MK AR 6-18 that shoots the 40 gr Vmax really well on the light side to 250 yards and the 70 gr Berger pretty good on the heavy side. My wife shot an armadillo at close range and it rained armadillo! At close range those Vmax's are impressive. The RPR in .223 is pretty fun to pushing the 75 and 80 gr bullets. But it makes it a little further than 500 yards. I have a Hawke 4-20 on it but the turrets are mushy. I want a Vortex Gen II PST like I have on the 6.5 RPR. But I keep breaking farm equipment and eating my savings.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 8:55:52 PM EDT
[#10]
SWFA 3-15X Tactical. Priced Right, well worth the money. Lifetime warranty. If you can hold out for a sale, Black Friday they are often around $500. Maybe labor day 10 or 20% off current price.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 8:56:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Well we are on AR-15.com

Have you thought about the 6.5 grendel?  You prob already have an AR - and upper, scope, mags and some ammo and you are cooking with gas.

They do shoot like a dream in the heavy longer barrel format.

Red
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 9:01:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By badredfish:
Well we are on AR-15.com

Have you thought about the 6.5 grendel?  You prob already have an AR - and upper, scope, mags and some ammo and you are cooking with gas.

Red
View Quote
Short barrels work well also.
My Pop learned the value of a Grendel, 500 yards on steel
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 8:50:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By badredfish:
Well we are on AR-15.com

Red
View Quote
Good choice but a little overkill on Pdawgs and ground squirrels. But yeah the 6.5 Grendel will get you past 500 yards. Now the 95 gr Vmax is devastating on Ground hogs!
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 3:28:11 PM EDT
[#14]
OP, another poster recommended Savage. I’d agree with that. I have a Savage 12 Long Range Precision in 6.5. Damn thing is nasty accurate. My range goes out to 550 yards. I was hitting steel easily right away.  It is solid with various factory ammo - Hornady Precision Hunter 143 grain ELDX, Berger 120 grain Lapua, and Prime 130 grain.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 1:59:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By camden21:
What will do it straight out the box?Looking at 6.5 Creedmoor Budget $800 if I can do it for less that would be great

What scope to go with it? Budget $400-900 again if I can keep it down that would be great.
I’m used to weaver grand slam glass and Nikon monarch glass I don’t want lesser glass.
View Quote
If I'm reading that correctly, max budget is $1,700.

Do you have a Scheel's nearby?  Tikka T3x CTR for $774 after rebate and gift card

For a scope, if you can live 15x magnification, then a Weaver Tactical would be my choice.  If you need more, then a Nikon FX1000.

If the Weaver sells out, then get the SWFA.  I have the Weaver 3-15s big brother and it's a great scope.  It's "prior gen", so it doesn't have the whiz-bang stuff the cool kids like such as a Christmas tree reticle, zero stops, or the level-in-the-reticle gizmo.  I've never used a SWFA variable, but all of the fixed power scopes from them I've used have been very good and well worth the price they charge.

If you want to go even cheaper, get a Ruger American Predator w/ AICS mag well and a Vortex Diamondback.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 2:12:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bob9181] [#16]
Originally Posted By ballisticxlr:
.22-250 or .223 or .204 ruger would be my go-to if you're wanting to punch groundhogs and similar size rodents. The same bullets that'll work for those will work fine to 500m on steel though high winds will get challenging at the far end of that and shifting winds will drive you mad (that's the whole fun of varmint shooting, doping the wind). For ghogs/pdogs/belding's squirrels and the like (basically long range rodents) you want as fast (and fragile) of a bullet as you can get. 3500-4200fps is good territory to be in as it makes them exceptionally flat shooting and spectacularly lethal on rodents. I'm partial to the .22-250 as it makes >4000fps with trivial ease and makes rodents shoot up into the air like bottle rockets when you get a good center mass hit with a nicely fragile bullet. For super fast light bullets you'll end up wanting a slower twist to keep bullets from blowing up right out of the barrel at extreme speeds. The slower twist will not be suitable for larger projectiles as they will not be stabilized.

For a scope, little critters far away, so I'd be looking for something with a fine crosshair in second focal plane with a magnification range somewhere around 3-18x or 4-20x (at least that's what I've found works easiest). Your budget will determine the optic as much as anything. I really dig on the Leupold vx3i 6.5-20x but I also use a fixed 16x. Fixed power high mag is something you won't enjoy when varmint hunting, they're a pain in the butt.

Complicated reticles are probably not going to be your friend, same with FFP reticles with relatively thick lines at the top end.

For projectiles, I like Barnes Varmint Grenades and Speer TNT's. They give very visually impressive results.
View Quote
^^This ! Guy knows what he is talking about!
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 1:26:52 PM EDT
[#17]
My Ruger RPR in 223 will do everything you ask for,500yd shots on clay pigeons are no problem loaded with 77 or 80gr bullets.I have 6.5 creedmoor , 6.5 Grendel and 308s but the RPR is just plain fun and cheap to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 12:51:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BBTC_MH] [#18]
Originally Posted By camden21:
Not looking to break the bank here... purpose is to shoot little holes on paper/ hit small gongs/ groundhogs 100- 500 yards.  I will only use this rig maybe 3-5 times a year

Then you only need 5.56 or 6.5 Grendel.  Creedmoor and 308 varieties are bigger and heavier guns and the smaller rifles will easily go to 500.

Want to use factory ammo

LOTS of affordable accurate factory ammo for 5.56 and 6.5 Grendel

So many options can’t even begin to list them.

For the price, the Primary Arms Glx series is awesome. You’ll have to wait until they release Gen 2 though.

I would like to use rangefinder and dial in the target. Ffp or sfp?

If your “dialing in” the. SFP is fine.

Thanks
View Quote
Answers in red.

OP, you sound fairly new to shooting. You may want to spend a few hours (not in a row, small bits at a time) watching Ryan Cleckner videos on YouTube. He did a series with NSSF that is pretty great for new shooters.  Also has a few with John Lovell that are good for new shooters.

Hope this was helpful.

EDIT: by “new” I meant new to long range shooting.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 5:58:36 AM EDT
[#19]
I second buying something in 223, with a 1:9 or faster twist.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 1:16:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By sigman68:
I second buying something in 223, with a 1:9 or faster twist.
View Quote
1:9 is borderline too slow for some of the heavier “match rounds”

Go with a 1:8 or 1:7 with a Wylde chamber (most Wlyde barrels out there are 1:8)
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 8:53:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Tikka CTR on the high end of your burger

Ruger American predator on the lower end

SWFA fixed 10x would be a good option choice as well as Athlon Ares

The nikon fx scopes are on clearance everywhere, but nikon is getting out of optics do if you are worried about support might not be there.

I would also take a look at the Swampfox Kentucky Long. They are getting really good feedback and price point is good. Optics planet sells them cheaper than their website but they do offer le/military/ems discount. Iyla(darklordofoptics) had good things to say and will be posting a full review soon I believe
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:02:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By ballisticxlr:

View Quote
If I had asked the OP's question, this is the advice I would follow.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:10:29 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd go .204, if you're shooting factory ammo only and want to stretch to 500yds.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 11:47:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jacuzz1] [#24]
I run the Diamond Back Tactical 6-24x50 on an RPR in .308.  Same ragged hole at 100 yards and I wont even say the results at 300yards. You will think i am lieing.  I do not shoot to 500. I would if there was a range available to me her in CT.   I snagged the optic from B&H {Photo for just $300.00.  Shop around until you get that price. I even got a free edc led FL with it.  It went back to $400 as soon as I purchased mine so your mileage may vary.   I believe it to be the best value if illumiation is not on your
list of needs.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 12:35:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chuck_Finley_IV] [#25]
https://palmettostatearmory.com/savage-arms-10-sba-6-5-creedmoor-4-1-bolt-action-rifle-22237.html

I got of these for 350, dropped it into a leftover chaote tactical stock and it shoots nickel sized groups. ( Edit* with hornady black 140’s) I got as a doner but im leaving it alone lol
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 4:15:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Ruger American Predator.
Grabagun.com.

6.5cm with scope of without.

I'd go without, and get a clearance Nikon.

About $350 for rifle, takes place for 6.5cm

Use 143 gr target ammo and have fun.

Should be less than$700 with some ammo in total.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top