Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 10/20/2016 12:44:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: akethan]
Since the MOA Challenge entry thread is getting clogged up with questions and comments I thought we had better get an official discussion thread.

So feel free to post your nonofficial targets here along with any questions or comments.

Remember this is still a tech thread so no trolling, call outs or GD style behavior. Please play nice or you will be locked out of this forum.

Basic rules, targets and divisions.

Keep it simple 5 shot groups, 5 groups per target

1 MOA = 100 Yards = 1.047"
––––––––-50 Yards = 0.5235"
––––––––-25 Yards = 0.26175"

Top 25 for each division

Separate list of 1 MOA shooters and a separate list for .5 MOA shooters.

REMEMBER this, all 5 groups of 5 shots must AVERAGE 1 MOA to make the list and claim the title of being a 1 MOA shooter.

Doing one .99" group and four 1.5" groups does not equal a 1 MOA shooter, it means you got lucky once and you are a 1.398 MOA shooter (assuming a 100 yard target)

This is a challenge but don't be afraid to try it out and post, every possible rifle style has been listed with a category and a distance. It's all in good fun and to be honest about your abilities.

With that in mind here are the rules.

1. ONE sheet of paper, 8.5”x11” preferred and it MUST HAVE ALL 5 targets.

Meaning 1 sheet of paper with FIVE targets. NO INDIVIDUAL TARGETS. THEY WILL NOT COUNT.

2. On that 1 sheet of paper with 5 targets you shoot 5 groups of 5 shots each. (In one day)

3. Each group is measured OUTSIDE GREASE RING TO OUTSIDE GREASE RING with calipers (preferred) or tape rule in inches. Then subtract the diameter of one bullet IE if your shooting a .223 and your 5 shot group measures 1.13" you will subtract 0.224" to get a group of 0.906". If you are shooting a .22lr you will subtract 0.223", for a 308 you will subtract 0.308" (Remember- the more precise your measurement the better)

Some common measurements:
.172" - .17 HMR
.223" - .22 Short, Long, Long Rifle
.224" - .223 Remington, .22 WMR, .22 Hornet
.243" - .243 Winchester
.284" - 7mm-08 Remington, 7mm Mag
.308" - .308 Winchester, .30-06, .300 Mag
.311" - 7.62x39 Soviet, .303 British
.338" - .338 Mag

4. NO MECHANICAL REST/SLED, NO VICE OR SIMILAR DEVICE THAT SUPPORTS THE ENITRE RIFLE, NO SHOOTING JACKETS, NO STRAPPING THE GUN INTO ANYTHING, NO LARGE REAR SANDBAG ** OR REST. SHOOTER MUST HAVE POSITIVE CONTROL OF RIFLE.

THE POINT IS TO SEE HOW GOOD YOU SHOOT, NOT HOW WELL YOU CAN MOUNT IT IN A MACHINE.

5. OK TO USE sandbag, rest, ruck, bipod, rock with a hat, sling etc. on forearm of the rifle.

**Will be OK to use a small rear sandbag (ie: sand sock or squeeze bag) or bean bag that must require constant hand pressure to maintain hold on target.

IE. Can NOT sandbag gun in place. Shooter must maintain positive control of rifle. No formed or V-shaped rests/bags

Some approved bags

Triad Red Tac

Triad Wedgie

CrossTac Squeeze bag

Accuracy First shooting bag

6. Shooting position is up to you, sitting, standing, prone.

7. Posting:

1st picture of target set at the range you are shooting. If you are shooting more than one rifle at the same range using the same pic is okay.

2nd picture with 5 groups of 5 shots each, next to them write down group size.

3rd picture with calipers (or tape rule) left in place over BEST group.

4th picture of rifle and shooting setup (ie. Sandbag, prone and so on). Post all4 pics and also type in the post your 5 group sizes and what the average is. IE. .99”, 1.5”, 1.5”, 1.5”, 1.5” add them up, equals 6.99” and divide by five. So 6.99/5 = 1.398”

You can use the MOA formula, either way I will check the math and post the MOA on the result list.

For those of you who would like to use ontarget,   http://ontargetshooting.com/

Also type up specs of your rifle and ammo IE. Rem 700 with 168gr Federal SMK or Colt AR15 18" with Wolf 55gr FMJ or AK with 125gr Hand Loads PLEASE INCLUDE AMMO USED

*** Please include result at the end of your post in the final format:

Division you wish to be listed under with range, User_Name: Rifle Manufacturer and caliber - notable customizations- Scope- Ammo. Groups: 1"/2"/3"/4"/5" = avg. 3" = .287 MOA

If you do not post in this format or leave anything out your post will not be included.

8. In each division you can only have your name up once per gun. Meaning that if you shoot the Iron Sight 22lr with your 10/22 and average a 1.65” group and lets say place 4th. If you use that same gun and do worse, even if you would place better then someone else it will not count for your group. Best group counts.

Now if you then shoot Iron Sight 22lr with your M&P 15-22 and shoot better, say 1.25” average groups and place 2nd. Both that score and the 10/22 score will remain. Different guns will be allowed for different group rankings within a division. Best group counts.

This also goes for the 1 MOA list. Meaning only your best MOA will be ranked on the 1 MOA list BUT if you also shoot 1 MOA or less with a different rifle, that will also count and your name will be added to the list for each different rifle you shoot 1 MOA or less with.

9. Remember, this is NOT a Bullseye challenge, it's a Groups challenge.

10. Any and all ammo is fine I don't care if you use Factory loads or your super secret Hand Load that Moses gave you.

11. Ties in average will go to the shooter with the smallest group.

Service Division (AR/AK/FAL/M1A1 etc style weapons)
Iron sights at 50 yards

Non-Magnified Optic at 50 yards

SPR Division (AR/AK/FAL/M1A etc WITH magnified optics) **See rule 5
100 yards

Bolt Division with magnified optics (any precision gun) ** See rule 5
100 yards

And for cheapness a 22lr Division

Any 22lr rifle with iron sights at 25 yards

Any 22lr rifle with non-magnified optic at 50 yards

Any 22lr rifle with magnified optic at 50 yards

Any 22lr rifle with magnified optic at 100 yards

Misc Small Bore Division
Any .17HMR/.17HM2/.17Fireball/.22WMR/.22 Hornet etc etc etc with any sighting system (Irons/nonmagnified/magnified) at 100 yards **See Rule 5

Unlimited Division
Catch-all class for anyone wishing to use a lead-sled, large sandbag set-up, or other assisting device prohibited from the other classes. 50yd minimum for non magnified optic rifles and 100 yd minimum for magnified optics of all calibers. Does not qualify you for MOA shooter list, but will be recognized as an MOA rifle owner. Further more if you have shot the same setup and are listed in a class you will not be eligible for unlimited. Let's not turn this into a full blown bench rest shoot.

Click to download target
Downloadable target

Small BFL Target

Modified 1MOA All Day Target MUAD hosted

MOA BFL Grid target  LaRue hosted.

MOA formula

How many MOA equal 2 inches at 200 yards?
(inches / yards) x 100 = MOA
(2 inches / 200 yards) x 100 = 1 MOA

This is for those that want to put up an honest effort and show what they can do!

If you post a placeholder for a future attempt, be sure and notify me if you are not updated!

If entries start coming in and you post your results back on an earlier page, I might miss it if you don't point it out.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:04:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GAhunter95] [#1]
FYI... the GA HTF is having their second annual MOA Challemge shoot this weekend.  If you happen to see a lot of similar looking pictures posted, this is the reason why.

ETA...  thanks again to Mark LaRue and LaRue Tactical for (again) sponsoring this shoot.   I am guessing there will be lots of credits to LaRue on the entries.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:06:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GAhunter95:
FYI... the GA HTF is having their second annual MOA Challemge shoot this weekend.  If you happen to see a lot of similar looking pictures posted, this is the reason why.
View Quote

You're a great guy keep up the good work!
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:14:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:15:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By LaRue_Tactical:
In ... for a minute.
View Quote

I see what you did there but where's the target?.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 2:52:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 2:59:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm the brains he's the muscle.      The goat doesn't trust me with the launch codes.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 3:53:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Seems like all my rowdy friends are here again......

Good shooting to all!
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 5:55:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 7:30:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:20:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Click2Boom] [#10]
In on one.

I need to win a stealth barrel so I can up my moa all day game

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:26:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll be visiting a friend here in Texas this weekend, but will probably be shooting his rifle(s) (none of the rifles I own will shoot 1 MOA all day long, even strapped to a rest). I've never competed in the 1 MOA challenge. This weekend might be a fun time to try it. We haven't really talked about how we're going to spend our range time.

Does it count if you're using borrowed gear?

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:30:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Subnet:
I'll be visiting a friend here in Texas this weekend, but will probably be shooting his rifle(s) (none of the rifles I own will shoot 1 MOA all day long, even strapped to a rest). I've never competed in the 1 MOA challenge. This weekend might be a fun time to try it. We haven't really talked about how we're going to spend our range time.

Does it count if you're using borrowed gear?

View Quote

of course, check out GAhunter95's post above they have a HTF shoot with folks sharing rifles.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:34:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By akethan:
of course, check out GAhunter95's post above they have a HTF shoot with folks sharing rifles.
View Quote

Oh, too cool. I'm not 100% sure I'm going to "compete" this weekend, but I'm leaning towards "yes" if my host is up for it. This actually sounds kind of fun. 
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:44:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: swadiver] [#14]
Krieger 20 inch DCM Hbar barrel   1 in 7.7 twist
DPMS "LO Pro HD" upper receiver
Rock River Arms FF hand guard
SLR Rifleworks adjustable gas block
Rubber City Armory nitrided bolt carrier
Young Manufacturing National Match bolt

Sig Sauer M400 lower receiver
Geissele Hi Speed National Match Trigger
Magpul PRS stock
Ultra light weight recoil  buffer

Millet LRS 1   5-25x glass

all 5 @100 yards    all Berger 73gr Match bullets with IMR 8208XBR

</a>" />

</a>" /></a>" />
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:03:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 2:14:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Old_Painless:

I don't think you know anyone that has a 1 MOA rifle.
View Quote

I think I might know one.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 7:30:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:00:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wiseanhyzer] [#18]

A cold front blew through Texas yesterday, hope it's past your range before the shootin' starts.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

ETA...  thanks again to Mark LaRue and LaRue Tactical for (again) sponsoring this shoot.   I am guessing there will be lots of credits to LaRue on the entries.

A cold front blew through Texas yesterday, hope it's past your range before the shootin' starts.
The wind is pretty stout in Georgia today.  It should be calmed down some for tomorrow's shoot.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 2:42:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LaRue_Tactical] [#19]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 6:45:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Well done Michigan National Guard .....and Range 37!

Looking forward to seeing who finished where.....

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 5:56:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 9:52:56 PM EDT
[#22]
We'll see how this 14.5  7.62 does .

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 9:57:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Subnet just demonstrated that this isn't that hard if you have good equipment.

View Quote

... And expert tutelage.

I've got two entries with one gun that have been posted, but not posted in the MOA lineup yet. I've got another gun I'd like to try it out with. But every time I take the gun out, I just scoot out to 300-600 and play on steel.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:31:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: winddummy82] [#24]

Subnet just demonstrated that this isn't that hard if you have good equipment.

View Quote

Out of curiosity how much coaching was involved? Subnet congrats for shooting the challenge!
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 7:16:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Awesome Subnet!

What did you think about the 25x scope? Too jiggly? I'm trying to figure the optics for this myself.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 7:25:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 7:29:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Way to go Subnet!

Brother Ak.....from one deplorable to another, rock that baby.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:02:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Now that the discussion and entries are in different threads can you make it so shooters copy the entry before submitting and then paste it in this thread.  

Draconis great shooting with your 20 inch gun.  Curious do you have a cant indicator or bubble on it in any way?  I think its great you guys can get together to shoot like that.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 7:00:08 PM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By America:

Now that the discussion and entries are in different threads can you make it so shooters copy the entry before submitting and then paste it in this thread.  

Draconis great shooting with your 20 inch gun.  Curious do you have a cant indicator or bubble on it in any way?  I think its great you guys can get together to shoot like that.
View Quote
At the small shooting league I belong to one of the members always unknowingly canted his rifle about halfway into however many rounds we were shooting that relay. You could tell the difference in his hits. I mentioned a bubble might help him. He laughed the bubble off as voodoo. To each their own I guess.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:14:16 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm the brains he's the muscle.      The goat doesn't trust me with the launch codes.
View Quote

Like Master Blaster? Lol

Who runs MOA challenge? Master Blaster runs MOA challenge....

Good idea to keep questions and comments here. I need to post some pics in the challenge now.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:23:57 PM EDT
[#31]
I still need to get off my butt and do this.
For both centerfire and rimfire.

Tough to be out for much more than an hour when it's 114*
Weather is FINALLY cooling off here in the desert

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:33:05 PM EDT
[#32]
We had some kids shoot at the MOA shoot.  Should the parent not post their kid's target in the thread?
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:57:34 AM EDT
[#33]
We had some kids shoot at the MOA shoot.  Should the parent not post their kid's target in the thread?
View Quote

You can post them in there but they will not be added.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 8:55:55 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

Might be pretty smart for a goat, and a super tag as the MOA challenge has been quite interesting to keep up with
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:27:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Draconis] [#35]

View Quote

....No bubble and the only cant indicator is "That don't look right"

....Seriously, at 100 yards I never thought it would improve tracking that much.....Once I have the set up and opportunity to stretch it out I've thought of adding one.....

....Oh and thanks....I wish I could take all the credit but it's more arrow than Indian in this case... I've got more mechanics to work on before next year....
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:30:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By winddummy82:
At the small shooting league I belong to one of the members always unknowingly canted his rifle about halfway into however many rounds we were shooting that relay. You could tell the difference in his hits. I mentioned a bubble might help him. He laughed the bubble off as voodoo. To each their own I guess.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By winddummy82:

....Hmmmmm, I need to get one and see if it helps...I'm not opposed to trying anything (almost anything....no chicken sacrifices... ) if it will get me closer to that single ragged hole....
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:36:41 PM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes

+1
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 7:05:30 PM EDT
[#38]
The guy who started all this on the hide needs help.

http://www.scout.com/military/snipers-hide/forums/5515-semi-auto-rifles/15083360-semi-auto-has-always-been-my-home-need-help-fighting-cancer

I think his efforts have gone a long way in reducing the BS and giving people realistic expectations of semi-auto performance.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:26:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Curious about the rules of using a rear monopod attached to a PRS stock, or must a an approved rear bag be used?
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:33:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By roamin:
Curious about the rules of using a rear monopod attached to a PRS stock, or must a an approved rear bag be used?
View Quote

Rear monopod would put you into the unlimited class.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 1:52:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Would anyone be interested in a PCR class?  50 yard non magnified optic?
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 2:31:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Here is a little history lesson as to the Challenge
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 2:44:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: akethan] [#43]
Originally Posted By BillyDoubleU:
View Quote

Cool.  
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 2:47:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BillyDoubleU] [#44]

Cool.  
View All Quotes

Cool.  

I didn't want to put yours and Stanz name in the post with out asking but figured, my hope at least is that folks venture over and shoot it

Again, thank you for keeping it going
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 2:49:10 PM EDT
[#45]

I didn't want to put yours and Stanz name in the post with out asking but figured, my hope at least is that folks venture over and shoot it

View All Quotes

Cool.  

I don't care either way is fine with me. I will post the link in the entry thread.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 2:50:46 PM EDT
[#46]

I don't care either way is fine with me. I will post the link in the entry thread.
View All Quotes

Cool.  

Awesome
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 7:00:13 PM EDT
[#47]
akethan, a quick question about the rankings....I know you update the list when you get time, and I noticed you'd added some of the GHTF shoot results but I can't find mine on the list....I hate to ask...

....Granted, it's not like I'm going to bump Mike P off the top, but mid to upper 20s for some backwoods gun nut is something I'm proud of.... .....and hope to improve...
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 8:02:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: akethan] [#48]
Originally Posted By Draconis:
akethan, a quick question about the rankings....I know you update the list when you get time, and I noticed you'd added some of the GHTF shoot results but I can't find mine on the list....I hate to ask...

....Granted, it's not like I'm going to bump Mike P off the top, but mid to upper 20s for some backwoods gun nut is something I'm proud of.... .....and hope to improve...
View Quote

It makes it easier for me if everyone follows the format rules.

Division you wish to be listed under with range, User_Name: Rifle Manufacturer and caliber - notable customizations- Scope- Ammo. Groups: 1"/2"/3"/4"/5" = avg. 3" = .287 MOA
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 12:14:45 AM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Draconis:

Edited to read:

SPR Division,100 yards, Draconis, LaRue 5.56- 20" Stealth barrel on Stealth upper with SLR adjustible gas block/LaRue PredatAR lower with MBT and Vltor A5 recoil system- Vortex Viper HST 6-24X50 -Handloaded 69 grain SMK HPBT in once fired and prepped Norma brass over 24.9 grains of Reloder 15, 2.22 COAL Groups: .684"/.728"/1.002"/.711"/.813" = avg. 3.938" = .7516 MOA

Is this the correct format?
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 1:15:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By swadiver:
Krieger 20 inch DCM Hbar barrel   1 in 7.7 twist
DPMS "LO Pro HD" upper receiver
Rock River Arms FF hand guard
SLR Rifleworks adjustable gas block
Rubber City Armory nitrided bolt carrier
Young Manufacturing National Match bolt

Sig Sauer M400 lower receiver
Geissele Hi Speed National Match Trigger
Magpul PRS stock
Ultra light weight recoil  buffer

Millet LRS 1   5-25x glass

all 5 @100 yards    all Berger 73gr Match bullets with IMR 8208XBR

http://<a href=http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b629/swadiver1/DSC06593_zpswxvzbfnb.jpg</a>" />

http://<a href=http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b629/swadiver1/DSC06578_zpstkuqqgzj.jpg</a>" />http://<a href=http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b629/swadiver1/DSC06579_zpsnuo1aib0.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

Damn fine shooting.

Txl
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top