Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2022 11:45:20 PM EDT
Actually, I have a few rifles with scopes.  Some are simple, with just a basic cross hairs, the others with the more complex settings.  Truth is, I don't know anything about them beyond just setting the cross hairs on the target and trying to hit it.

I'd like to be able to use them successfully, how to range, adjust settings, etc. What do I need to know?  TIA
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 11:48:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Fist step is to know if your reticles are moa or mrad. The scope's turrets should be marked as such.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 12:16:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fortydelta:
Fist step is to know if your reticles are moa or mrad. The scope's turrets should be marked as such.
View Quote

I have a MRAD ranger but scopes are MOA, and a Nikon MOA laser ranger.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 12:46:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 1:44:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Rob01:

What is an MRAD ranger? And LRF are not in moa or mils.

What scope do you have exactly?
View Quote

My bad.  The Nikon is just a laser.  Someone gave me a 'manual' range finder that I think is MRAD (I haven't looked in a while) ranging monocular.

Scopes:

A Leopold Rifleman 3 X 9 X 50 on a 24 inch Varmiter, and a Vertex Crossfire 4 X 12 X 44 on a Remington 700. Both are 223/556. A couple of others but buried away somewhere.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 8:27:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By junker46:

My bad.  The Nikon is just a laser.  Someone gave me a 'manual' range finder that I think is MRAD (I haven't looked in a while) ranging monocular.

Scopes:

A Leopold Rifleman 3 X 9 X 50 on a 24 inch Varmiter, and a Vertex Crossfire 4 X 12 X 44 on a Remington 700. Both are 223/556. A couple of others but buried away somewhere.
View Quote

As I said, if you look at the windage and elevation turrets, it should tell you which type you have. Post pics of the turret if you aren't sure.

There are different procedures for your questions depending on what kind of reticle you have.

Kinda like asking how to take apart your pistol. Well what kind of pistol is it? Can't answer without that info.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 8:32:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Read The Long Range Shooting Handbook.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 5:42:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 10:58:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Rob01:

Neither of those scopes will help you learn to range with their duplex reticles. You will need either an MOA or Mil based reticle to range but honestly it's a dying art and if you have a LRF then use that. It's faster and much more accurate. If you did want to try it then you need a different scope.

Not sure what manual rangefinder you have but stick to lasers.
View Quote

That's just it: what do I do with that info? Say I range a target at 337 yards with the LRF. How do I use that with a scope? I see videos of guys spinning away with the turrets/setting but what does that do?
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 12:22:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By junker46:

That's just it: what do I do with that info? Say I range a target at 337 yards with the LRF. How do I use that with a scope? I see videos of guys spinning away with the turrets/setting but what does that do?
View Quote

They use the turrets to adjust the zero to a known drop at known distance, instead of guessing at a holdover.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:32:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AKSnowRider] [#10]
OP, you need info on your loads(ammo) and how specifically it shoots in your rifle..you then pick a target, range it(as in the above example we will go with 337 yards) you then go to here or another program and figure out your dope(the correct adjustments for your scope, on your rifle, with your ammo) and then you dial the elevation and windage as provided by your dope, then you shoot..if everything is right, you should get center of target hits....

https://www.jbmballistics.com/ballistics/calculators/calculators.shtml

This is what your dope should look like, it has distance, it has the adjustments for windage and elevation in either MOA or MIL depending on your scopes needs, and it tells you velocity and energy at your measured distance..

This is for one of my rifle/loads...

Attachment Attached File

ETA: OP, I highly, highly recommend you spend a few dollars on this book, it will explain the whole process of long range shooting from start to finish for you in easy to understand terms....

Attachment Attached File

https://ryancleckner.com/long-range-shooting-handbook/
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 10:42:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 12:52:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I zero .223 high power rifles at 200 yards. At any range up to around 230 yards I am never more than 2" high or low of the aiming point.

At 300 yards I need to hold 7.5" high or dial 2.5 moa of elevation.

Ammo selection dependent.

You really need to get shooting to establish your zeroes. Changing ammunition will change your point of impact.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top