Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2021 12:40:48 PM EDT
I have been practicing/playing around with ranging.
So far my biggest hurdle is knowing the size of what I'm ranging.
From what I've gathered unless you know the exact measurements of what you are ranging once you get over a few hundred yards it gets almost useless.
The difference between something that is 36" and 48" makes a huge difference in what range you think it's at.
In a more urban setting it's much easier as most doors are 80", privacy fences are normally 60", etc. but in a setting with no man made things I'm all but useless with ranging.

I guess my question is how accurately can you estimate range using targets where you only have a rough idea of size?

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:44:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I guess I do a couple things but for the most part I use various forms of maps to range. Sometimes topo and sometimes satellite. Then reconcile that with the reticle ranging if it makes sense with the approximate size of my target.

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 4:08:28 PM EDT
[#2]
It works for intermediate distances, but if you are stretching the cartridge, you need accurate distances if you plan on getting hits...
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 4:13:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 4:48:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:

Yup ranging a target you don't know the exact size on makes the guess factor much higher. All you can do is just use the rough number and hope it's close. That's why people have the generic sizes usually in their data books and use those if they need to range. Ranging with the reticle is a tough skill and with the cheaper rangefinders now it makes it a dying one also.

I would also suggest getting a mildot master. Makes it much easier. It works in both moa and mils.
View Quote
I've got a few rangefinders, the mildot master along with maps on my phone I can measure distance with.  
Mainly trying to hone in a new skill.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 5:10:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 5:25:37 PM EDT
[#6]

No problem with that but you also have to understand the limitations of the skill when numbers are guesses. No real way to change that and it effects the outcome greatly. If you want to hone the skill then do it on known size targets at known distances. You can practice it at 100 yards if you wanted. I put up know size targets at known ranges and then range them. The main skill of ranging is breaking down the reticle. Today with the great reticles which have down to .1 mil or .5 moa dimensions on them it makes it much easier than years back with the best you got was .5 mils.

Here are some known size targets I use. Nothing special but they work.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/19859/ranging2-1212142.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/19859/ranging1-1212141.jpg
View Quote
Luckily where my house sits my master bedroom looks over a big open space. I have a portable shooting bench in my room that I can practice at when I get bored.
One thing I learned is I really need to clean my windows

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 5:33:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 5:44:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Yup good to have that practice spot but again not knowing target size makes it a guesstimate at best. You could find trees and measure them for an average so when looking out you can read the width and get a decent guess.
View Quote
Thinking next week take the dog for a stroll and bring a tape measure and make some notes.
To me it's a neat skill to have.

I've got some buddies i golf with that are pretty damn good at guessing ranges inside of a few hundred yards. I've never been good at it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 5:51:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 12:19:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Inside 250 yards using a 200 yard zero it's pretty much point and shoot. You'll never be more than 2.5 to 3.5" high or low using most common cartridges and match grade ammo.

Unless you are shooting game across a bean field or in the mountains most people will never need any more inputs than this.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 12:46:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
Inside 250 yards using a 200 yard zero it's pretty much point and shoot. You'll never be more than 2.5 to 3.5" high or low using most common cartridges and match grade ammo.

Unless you are shooting game across a bean field or in the mountains most people will never need any more inputs than this.
View Quote

Lol wut
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 1:01:08 PM EDT
[#12]
You should carry one of the RF's around with you everyday and just start guessing distances before actually ranging them.....it shouldn't take long before you decide you really should just be sure to always bring a good RF and extra batterys....
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 1:07:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:

View Quote
Never been West of the Mississippi?
I can see over 1500 yards away from my garage, walk to the mailbox and I can see well over a mile in multiple directions and I'm in a somewhat populated area.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top