Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2021 12:23:55 PM EDT
I have been shooting 300yrds at my gun club with a precision AR 223, they also have a 600 yrd range and I want to step up to that. I have been looking pretty hard at the  Bergara HMR in 6.5C. I have a credit with Bushnell and am considering their 6x20 scope. I think I would like to try the prc competition that I am hearing about.  
 So, recommend to me this rifle or something else and an optic. I am pretty new to long or longer range shooting any help would be appreciated.

Thanks much.

Steve R.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 12:28:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 1:45:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 3:53:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I started shooting PRS matches with an HMR in 6.5CM and a Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5-25 and neither held me back.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 4:05:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Get what you can afford to shoot. Long range takes practice, and that take ammo and that costs $ 6.5 is great, but it's not cheep. Ammo and range time trumps caliber IMHO.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 3:27:49 AM EDT
[#5]
BTW 600 is easy with a .223. you don't need bigger yet.

Link Posted: 12/3/2021 12:49:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Your precision AR-15 is perfectly capable of hammering steel at 600 yards. Better ammo is the key.

Try various 73/75/77 match loads to discover which one your rifle likes the most. I'm assuming you have a 1/7 or 1/8 twist barrel.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 3:39:46 PM EDT
[#7]
My AR likes 69smk match Ammo. I have gotten dime sized groups with that at 100yrds. Now you guys have me thinking I should stick with that, and work on my technique for awhile.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 7:07:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Skg_Mre_Lght:
The sky is the limit as to what you can spend and what you want.

Many people start out with Bergara HMRs, and they are great entry level rifles, and capable of winning matches. As long as you shoose a Bushnell with a FFP and matching turrets and reticle, you will be fine.

Practice is where it's at, dry firing, getting into position on the clock, and mastering the basic fundamentals. You'll learn wind as you go.
View Quote
sage
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 7:29:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eracer] [#9]
May I ask why FFP and mil-dot reticles are important for matches where the range-to-target is known?
Granted, they make the optic more useful off the range.  But do people build precision rifles for hunting, or combat?

ETA:  I see the 'HMR' stands for 'Hunting and Match Rifle.'
Now I understand.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 8:47:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Skg_Mre_Lght] [#10]
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 9:10:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 9:18:35 AM EDT
[#12]
As shared above, stick with your AR. The 69 SMK will work fine at that distance unless your barrel is very short.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 2:36:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eracer] [#13]

I have pretty much given up on SFP optics, except for a couple of wood and blue hunting guns that I don't want to aesthetically ruin. It doesn't matter if it is known distance to a target, or not, you do not want to be doing multiplication in your head to use your reticle in any scenario I can think of when twisting your magnification ring. This is especially true while on the clock at a match. I also prefer it for hunting for the same reason.

Everyone at Precision rifle match speaks mils. They will give you wind calls mils, "You missed by three tenths" in mils, BSing between stages in mils, etc. You do not want MOA for the precision rifle game.

Most people use Christmas tree reticles for holding wind and elevation. I'm a Mil-XT guy, but any of the others will work. I never dial wind, I just use my reticle, and will also hold elevation on some stages where I am time crunched. A Christmas tree gives you a defined place to hold for any of those conditions as opposed to a normal mil-dot reticle where you are choosing a blank point in space to hold for wind and elevation. A duplex type of reticle is going to result in alot of misses in a precision rifle match.

I hope that explains everything.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I have pretty much given up on SFP optics, except for a couple of wood and blue hunting guns that I don't want to aesthetically ruin. It doesn't matter if it is known distance to a target, or not, you do not want to be doing multiplication in your head to use your reticle in any scenario I can think of when twisting your magnification ring. This is especially true while on the clock at a match. I also prefer it for hunting for the same reason.

Everyone at Precision rifle match speaks mils. They will give you wind calls mils, "You missed by three tenths" in mils, BSing between stages in mils, etc. You do not want MOA for the precision rifle game.

Most people use Christmas tree reticles for holding wind and elevation. I'm a Mil-XT guy, but any of the others will work. I never dial wind, I just use my reticle, and will also hold elevation on some stages where I am time crunched. A Christmas tree gives you a defined place to hold for any of those conditions as opposed to a normal mil-dot reticle where you are choosing a blank point in space to hold for wind and elevation. A duplex type of reticle is going to result in alot of misses in a precision rifle match.

I hope that explains everything.

Originally Posted By Rob01:

FFP is not about ranging. It’s about the reticle being able to be used for holds on any power. Makes them very useful and actually needed in some sports like PRS.

Thanks.  I wasn't even thinking about reticle holds - only ranging.
Makes perfect sense.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 4:37:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By eracer:

Thanks.  I wasn't even thinking about reticle holds - only ranging.
Makes perfect sense.
View Quote

It is also very very easy to make correct shot corrections using the reticle to measure the adjustment..or to adjust the hold off...
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 5:22:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 12:15:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AZYoungGun] [#16]
Originally Posted By FZ1Steve:
I have been shooting 300yrds at my gun club with a precision AR 223, they also have a 600 yrd range and I want to step up to that. I have been looking pretty hard at the  Bergara HMR in 6.5C. I have a credit with Bushnell and am considering their 6x20 scope. I think I would like to try the prc competition that I am hearing about.  
 So, recommend to me this rifle or something else and an optic. I am pretty new to long or longer range shooting any help would be appreciated.

Thanks much.

Steve R.
View Quote

Can you provide details on your current AR’s setup? As others have mentioned, it may be plenty for competitions out to 600 yards, depending on a few specific details.

With that in mind, accurately running a gas gun is more challenging than running a bolt gun, even a regular AR in .223/5.56. The lock time is generally much longer, the recoil impulse is different, and depending on how it’s equipped, and can be easy to get caught up in doo-dads, trinkets, and other crap you don’t need on the rifle. BUT, sticking with that means you’re not spending money on another rifle/caliber, allowing you to stockpile some good ammo, make any changes to the rifle that you need (optics, bipod, etc.), and afford a class or two.

Edit: Excellent taste in bikes, if the FZ1 means what I think it means.
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 10:01:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By AZYoungGun:

Can you provide details on your current AR’s setup? As others have mentioned, it may be plenty for competitions out to 600 yards, depending on a few specific details.

With that in mind, accurately running a gas gun is more challenging than running a bolt gun, even a regular AR in .223/5.56. The lock time is generally much longer, the recoil impulse is different, and depending on how it’s equipped, and can be easy to get caught up in doo-dads, trinkets, and other crap you don’t need on the rifle. BUT, sticking with that means you’re not spending money on another rifle/caliber, allowing you to stockpile some good ammo, make any changes to the rifle that you need (optics, bipod, etc.), and afford a class or two.

Edit: Excellent taste in bikes, if the FZ1 means what I think it means.
View Quote

Most importantly, when you get good and comfortable at 600 with wind and atmospheric change stepping into a 6 or 6.5 Creedmoor will make it feel silly simple. That’s the route I took and 600 is a breeze now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top