Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/18/2021 12:12:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123]
I've been on there for 15 years and never thought I'd see the day that Frank started charging $20/mo just to be able to list an item for sale.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/question-about-selling-on-sniperhide.7086832/
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 12:17:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 12:20:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Not just to sell. You get other perks too and 10% goes to charity.
View Quote

I realize that you get other perks, however, those that need to sign up for it now are being driven by the ability to sell items.   If that wasn't the case then they'd already be signed up for it.  Quite frankly the "other perks" don't really mean anything to me either.

I can (and do) donate to charity all on my own.  I'm guessing it was the guy that was selling all of the Remington/AI stuff that pissed Frank off but damn...just kick that guy not the people that sell 5-10 things per year

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/account/upgrades/

I just looked at the "perks" and absolutely nothing in that least is worth anything to me besides being able to post in the EE.  That just isn't worth $20/mo for how much I sold there.  Limited Ads...really...it's 2021...who doesn't have an ad blocker installed in there browser LOL.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 12:32:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#3]
A was an admin on a site that used to allow regular users a limited number of listings (I think it was 1 per month (12 per year)) @ no charge.  More than that, the feeling was that you were running a business and should pay something for access to a specialized target audience - and I think that's reasonable.

I think the OP is justified in being POed.  I think he could have handled it better though by contacting the admin staff with his problem and not starting a public thread.  I am unfamiliar with the landscape over there but, judging from that thread, I wouldn't want to hang with a-holes like most participating in that thread.  As lessons go, $50 is "low cost".  Failing any satisfaction after contacting the admin staff, I'd just walk away and bad mouth them every opportunity I got.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 12:37:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn. I've never posted much there but been a member for years. Got my Sig X6 out of the EE a million years ago. I haven't experienced the online training so I don't know how good it is. In general I don't pay $20 a month for stuff I rarely use.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 12:45:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
Damn. I've never posted much there but been a member for years. Got my Sig X6 out of the EE a million years ago. I haven't experienced the online training so I don't know how good it is. In general I don't pay $20 a month for stuff I rarely use.
View Quote

That is EXACTLY why it seems so crazy to me.  I participate quite a bit over there in multiple discussions and try to contribute when I can, however, I just don't see any benefit to me paying $20/mo for something I would rarely use.

I went and bumped my existing ads to try and get the stuff sold, however, I doubt I'll be going there much anymore.  I used to just scroll through their EE as you never knew what you'd see.  With this new requirement though I just don't see that even 1/4 of the people that used to post items for sale will do that anymore.

I don't even know how many dollars I've spent/sold over the years on there but I'm not going on a subscription just so that I can maybe sell a few things...much less at $20/mo.

Look what happened to Armslist when they started charging to list items....it basically died and they are only charging $7/mo to list on there.

While the training may be good it's just not something that interests me.  The rest of the "perks" are just meaningless to me.

I could justify $20/yr like on here and they could feel free to exclude the Online Training if they wanted to but at the current cost no way.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 12:46:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 12:47:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#7]
When he got ownership back I tried to sign in.  zDidn’t get it to work.  Never bothered to figure out why.

I used to haunt their reloading section.  Much like the newer arfcom precision loading forum it got over run with nitwits requesting “precision loads for their home built Precision AR”.
It got to be such a nuisance I quit even reading that sub forum, same as arfcom’s sub forum.  I hang in the armory reloading forum instead.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 1:12:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 1:18:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I’m a gear queer, always buying and selling cuz I like to try different stuff but my income is insufficient to support me keeping everything I buy

I’m not an LR guy so I have little to contribute to that community, but I’d buy and sell and help other members find stuff they were looking for. Guess I’m done over there now.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 1:39:23 PM EDT
[#10]
So after all these years, Frank continues to be the midget asshole he has always been?  Color me shocked I guess.

Maybe this site should take advantage of the situation and build a precision rifle specific EE section?
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 1:41:02 PM EDT
[#11]
IMO there is NO forum worth 20 a month for anything.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 1:43:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#12]
Originally Posted By Kid_Couteau:
IMO there is NO forum worth 20 a month for anything.
View Quote

I can't say as though I disagree with you.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 2:00:22 PM EDT
[#13]
The Hide has always been super eccentric.  

Link Posted: 7/18/2021 2:07:05 PM EDT
[#14]
From a thread I came across, the reason they are doing this, is that they are tired of the scammers and the issues that they caused. They also had issues with business posting multiple items for sale without the business account as privet individuals.  So to fix it, you need to pay 20$ for that month if you want to list items as a seller. As a buyer, you do not have to have to pay the 20$ per month.

I do thing it is going to hurt them more then it will help in the long run of things.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 2:33:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Reminds me of David Thornton from the old ak47.net. He demanded members that sold a few things pay a vendors type fee. Completely ruined the entire site in a short time.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 3:00:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 3:06:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Every change the Hide has ever made there have been nay sayers saying the site is going to die and it's still here as strong as ever. I have been on the site for 21 years now and seen a lot of change. Not stressing this change.
View Quote

Scout came >< close to killing SH.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Every change the Hide has ever made there have been nay sayers saying the site is going to die and it's still here as strong as ever. I have been on the site for 21 years now and seen a lot of change. Not stressing this change.
View Quote

Agreed, that site isn’t going anywhere.  If it didn’t die when it sold to the web board conglomerate guy, it isn’t dying.  

Frank was always decent to me the few times I had cause to interact with him.  

I had a good time and got great info on the older version, pre the period of the other site owner.  Great experience in the old crew.  

I just never got back in to it in the later years.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 3:16:34 PM EDT
[#19]
I wish they'd do that here. Too many people are only here to sell stuff at ridiculous prices and then we gotta wade through the shit.

And pictures. You should have to post pictures
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 3:18:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 3:19:17 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

It looks like he consolidated a bunch of forums which I think has been needed. So many had tiny amount of traffic.
Originally Posted By jlficken:
Scout came >< close to killing SH.
View Quote

It was pretty bad. I think I only logged on a handful of times they were in control.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 3:26:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Reorx:
A was an admin on a site that used to allow regular users a limited number of listings (I think it was 1 per month (12 per year)) @ no charge.  More than that, the feeling was that you were running a business and should pay something for access to a specialized target audience - and I think that's reasonable.

I think the OP is justified in being POed.  I think he could have handled it better though by contacting the admin staff with his problem and not starting a public thread.  I am unfamiliar with the landscape over there but, judging from that thread, I wouldn't want to hang with a-holes like most participating in that thread.  As lessons go, $50 is "low cost".  Failing any satisfaction after contacting the admin staff, I'd just walk away and bad mouth them every opportunity I got.
View Quote

The dude paid 50 bucks because he was new and didn't want to wait the given time and post count to be able post for free. To bypass the time and post count restrictions to help prevent scammers you could pay for access to sell. I have sold over there and never paid a dime because I have been around for years.

I understand where Frank is comming from. Where average optic price is 1500-3k selling price and actions are much more expensive then the ar world I could understand why people selling all the time could kick back a bit. Most cheap precision rifles are same price as high end ar rifles.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 4:02:19 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

When they decided to combine all of the fragmented sections I pretty much gave up. I get the point but the execution was so deeply flawed that I get a migraine trying to navigate it. The reloading second main page is 3/4 full of pinned threads and none of the old threads in other sections are tagged for, for example, scopes, NV, observations, etc. It's Frank's house and he can run it as he sees fit but it's become a navigation headache.

The latest change with the exchange looks like Frank wants to eliminate workload while maintaining revenue. That's perfectly fine for Frank but I don't need him or his forum if it is just going to be a soulless cash grab. I barely have time for forums as it is, I'll just skip the entire site now which is kind of a shame. I'm sure the non paying users won't be missed, oh well.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 4:22:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 4:27:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 4:36:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 4:36:51 PM EDT
[#27]

The combining of subforums took a little to get used to but the more you use it the easier it gets. I wasn't thrilled with it at first but after a few weeks it's like it's always been that way.

No one says anyone has to pay to join. The free site is there and you can post but just not things for sale in the EE. So if you don't want to pay then don't and just keep using the site. Seems like everyone is getting their panties in a bunch over the EE access.
View Quote

No, I dislike the format and after months it hasn't gotten better. You can do all of the damage control you want but the forum is worse, not better. I'm going to do exactly what Frank has suggested, stop using his site.

Frank sells traffic to all of the various paying advertisers. I wonder how long it is going to be before they start objecting to getting rid of the "freeloaders" they were advertising to?
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 4:37:42 PM EDT
[#28]
I used to hang out there a good bit and and bought and sold a few things there back before the scout fiasco.

Never could get in the habit going there again even after the scout shit was ended.

Just not the same place it used to be.

No way I'm paying $20 a month for anything going on there.

Link Posted: 7/18/2021 4:41:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 4:44:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#30]

That speaks volumes right there. If the EE is your main reason to be there then why not pay as you are obviously using it a lot. And I believe you can still buy from the EE as a free member.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Norinco982lover:

The EE access is 99% of the reason many of us are on there.

We contribute because we are already there for that. If that isn’t there to attract us, you’ll miss out on other contributions (from members more knowledgeable than myself, I’m not great loss).

That speaks volumes right there. If the EE is your main reason to be there then why not pay as you are obviously using it a lot. And I believe you can still buy from the EE as a free member.

I think it's more the fact that the EE is less useful since there aren't going to be nearly as many people posting items for sale now.

I participate in lots of threads but the realty is that there's just not that much traffic in the sub-forums that I'm interested in on there so I cruised the EE a lot.  Less people posting there means less times I'll visit the site as a whole.

It is what it is, however, I just think it was a mistake.  It's been discussed on here many times that limiting the forum to paying members would be good for the same reasons that Frank sited, however, it's always been decided against for the very reason that it would hurt the site as a whole.

Some people will abuse the EE and only be on the site to sell, however, the vast majority of people will use the EE and then start looking at the rest of the forum.  Now those people that would just join to sell something first and then branch out have no reason to even join the forum at all.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 4:53:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 5:10:39 PM EDT
[#32]
I quit using it near a decade ago. They kept changing shit up, then after one site switch I was going to have to re register. I said fuck it bad quit going there unless by a link from here.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 5:35:39 PM EDT
[#33]
And again, NO ONE IS GETTING RID OF ANYONE. You can still post there and buy stuff from vendors and do everything but post items for sale. Why can you guys not get that?
View Quote

Do you actually believe the only way to get rid of members is to ban them or put up a pay wall?

Time will tell if this was a good move.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 6:14:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 6:26:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 6:34:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Hopefully it’ll get rid of some of the scammers, but I don’t see it hurting the site. There’s too much great info for people to pull away just because they can’t sell for free. Pretty sure you can pay for a month and list several items and then go back to being a non-paying member as well, so I’m not sure what the issue is.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 6:43:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 6:46:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#38]
Originally Posted By Aimless:
I can see the frustration of dealing with scammers igniting the desire for a pay to play EE. We're lucky here to have guys here spending so much of their free time dealing with these issues.

$ 20/m seems steep.  A pay per listing system might achieve the same results.
View Quote

Even a base membership without all of the extra "perks" for $25/yr would be fine with me.

$20/mo when people are only getting it so they can sell a few things they no longer need/want is just a money grab IMO.

ETA: I haven't even been able to access the site for the last hour so there's that
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 6:49:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 7:49:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Pretty sure that’s where I sold my Sendero in 300 RSAUM. I went there because I figured there were a lot more people there that knew what it was and what it was worth be here.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 8:01:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 2:30:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 3:33:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 7:37:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 12:36:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Got this when I first tried to access their EE
Worked okay when I clicked on it again

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14563/AB05B4AD-CD11-4D3C-8F51-E6EF5547D091-2019082.png

View Quote

You're all out of resources, please deposit another $20 for the month. Bad customer!
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 2:01:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Got this when I first tried to access their EE
Worked okay when I clicked on it again

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14563/AB05B4AD-CD11-4D3C-8F51-E6EF5547D091-2019082.png

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/19/2021 5:39:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Saw Frank chimed in, he's like Mark LaRue in digging his feet in deep whenever anyone criticizes anything.

Oh man, he gave it all away for free for years and everyone just used it up without contributing yet each person has a dollar value for advertisers 🤷🏼‍♂️
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 6:47:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By iiibdsiil:
Saw Frank chimed in, he's like Mark LaRue in digging his feet in deep whenever anyone criticizes anything.

Oh man, he gave it all away for free for years and everyone just used it up without contributing yet each person has a dollar value for advertisers 🤷🏼‍♂️
View Quote

I was a bad customer according to him so I decided to just log out and not go back.  I won't be missed there and my bank account (and wife) will thank me
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 7:11:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 7:33:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#50]
Well you were there this morning so when does your self  imposed exile start? Lol
View Quote

Did I not say that I went to log out of the site.  It's kind of hard to do that without going to the site on all of the machines I was logged in on.  You should try reading

ETA: Don't forget to tell Frank that I posted here again as I'm doubting he found this thread on his own.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top