Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2020 11:53:16 PM EDT
I am "thinking" not set yet, about a new rifle build in 6mm XC or 6x47 Lapua.  

I have a 6.5 CM gas gun, so kind of turning way from 6mm CM.  

Looking at a Defiance or Impact 737r action.  Leaning towards an MPA chassis to go with my Voodoo .22LR.

There is the original and the type ll chamber.  But reloading dies, neck dies etc. Just say 6mm XC.

Does anyone know where to get the type ll chamber dies?

Is there a reason to go Alpha Brass or Peterson Brass, assuming I can get the type ll chamber dies?

The nice thing about 6x47 Lapua is extremely similar ballistics and no question to chamber arbor or die sizes.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 3:49:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I just happen to have a 6 x 47 Lapua setting in the corner awaiting a scope so interested in this thread. But no actual experience with either cartridge, yet

I believe Peterson is the only manufacturer that makes 6 x 47 Lapua and Tubb spec'd 6 XC brass.  I haven't decided if I'll go with Peterson or forming from 6.5 x 47 Lapua.  Availability will play a huge roll in the decision.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 4:58:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperJlarge] [#2]
All of them are good cartridges, but there’s really no reason to shy away from a 6creedmoor. I’ve got 2 6.5creed gassers and 2 6creed bolt guns. The 6 creed is extremely easy to load for. I developed my load for the first rifle in under 25rds, and less than 15 with the second.

My dad has a few 6.5x47’s, 6x47’s and 6creeds, and he is going back to 6 creeds or 22creeds for future barrels. You can run them hotter than the other cartridges you are considering, or tune them down if you want to get a couple hundred more rounds from the barrel. It’s a very versatile cartridge. The brass is also cheaper per hundred. I’ve been getting Lapua 6creed for under 90$ lately.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 10:45:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess tuning down to get the velocity desired with the accuracy is an option.  As opposed to always near the max load and searching for the right accuracy.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 10:57:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Or do a 1-7.5 twist 243 and shoot the heavies
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 7:08:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Are you going to be competing and do you reload
If so I'd do a 6br
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 1:46:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By scatterbrains:
Are you going to be competing and do you reload 
If so I'd do a 6br
View Quote

Yes I reload, want to start some local competition shooting.  Retirement is here in a about 7 weeks
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:19:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Kubota3430:

Yes I reload, want to start some local competition shooting.  Retirement is here in a about 7 weeks
View Quote

If that's the case I'd do 6br,-varget, Lapua brass, and Berger hybrids

It's pretty much the gold standard
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 7:14:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Yes I reload, want to start some local competition shooting.  Retirement is here in a about 7 weeks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By scatterbrains:
Are you going to be competing and do you reload 
If so I'd do a 6br

Absolutely love my 6.5-284N's
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 12:22:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I run 3 6xc's. For dies, I neck size only. Never have to body size because I run zero headspace, there's no brass growth. If I have to body size then I use an ExactShooting.com custom die which matches my chamber. Whidden also can make a sizing die for you. I wouldn't go with any other. My Exact Shooting die can be used as a neck sizing die by pulling out the body portion or as a FL die.

Brass is brass is brass. I have norma LRP and Peterson SRP and a bunch of fireformed RP 22-250 LRP brass and the difference is you have to either bush your firing pin or run magnum primers if you're going to use SRP's and want to get full velocities. 115gr DTAC's are the best game in town as far as price for BC (and they HBN coat for free). I have had a little variation in BC from them batch to batch so I recommend buying all the bullets your barrel will eat (about 2000) in one shot or confirming BC from drops at distance when you open a new box.

The two are otherwise ballistically identical.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top