Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2020 9:12:33 AM EDT
https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/army-doubles-purchase-new-sniper-rifle

Link Posted: 4/1/2020 9:01:19 PM EDT
[#1]
It is tracking to become pretty much the whole DoD's new system.

Threads about them here generate very little interest at all.

There is a pretty good tacked thread on the MRAD in general over at Sniper's Hide.

Would recommend doing your research if you are looking to buy, used or NOS, as there have been a lot of revisions over the years it has been out. Not everything is forward-compatible.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 8:20:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: purevl2] [#2]
I have an 8xx serial numbered MRAD.  INSANELY underrated rifle.  INSANELY underrated.  I don't know why absolutely no one here has any interest in it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 5:26:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nihilsum] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By purevl2:
I have an 8xx serial numbered MRAD.  INSANELY underrated rifle.  INSANELY underrated.  I don't know why absolutely no one here has any interest in it.
View Quote

-Price.

-It looks like an RPR, which disposes many to think it is similar in execution/quality

-There are no pictures of NSW using it yet. Once that occurs, it will be popular here.

Link Posted: 4/14/2020 5:48:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I haven't really followed it  but what does this do over a quick change Accuracy International?
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 9:49:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Ghostface:
I haven't really followed it  but what does this do over a quick change Accuracy International?
View Quote

Since you asked, my take is this (I did sell my MRAD to move to an AI):

-Caliber changes between families take less expensive stuff (no magazine well adapters, no new entire bolt assemblies)

-magazines, regardless of caliber family are all the same size.

-Less prone to end-user error and easier to support logistically. Caliber kits are sent with a matched bolt head and barrels use receiver extensions with the locking lugs as opposed to an AI-type traditional system where the bolt locks into the receiver separate from the barrel. With the barrett, caliber changes are more involved as far a torque wrenches go, but it it's in battery, headspace is OK. AI quick lock barrels are shouldered prefits that need to be kept tight against the receiver. MRAD operates much like an LMT MWS.

-Lower bore axis (subjective; probably does not mean much in this role)

-Greater feel and manual of arms commonality (safety location/feel) with AR-type rifles

-Ease of trigger pack removal/cleaning/adjustment

-Capability to achieve lighter trigger pull weights safely, at least with current trigger designs

-Action is shrouded and closed to elements when in battery

-Fewer screws and fasteners and stuff to hold it together (subjective)

-U.S. company and U.S. made

-Cheaper, at least on the civilian market.

Link Posted: 4/20/2020 5:52:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Good gawd it looks heavy
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 11:52:32 AM EDT
[#7]
As configured in the image, with a full magazine of .338 or .300 norma, it is pushing 20lbs.

It is not so bad considering the intended use case for these weapons- the .338 option opens up payload capabilities, and with specialized ammunition this system is capable of replacing the M107 in some light anti-material roles.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 5:11:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: urbanredneck] [#8]
New review out on the rife via Garand Thumb.

The Army's new Sniper Rifle (MK22 ASR) with Retired Special Forces Sniper Kevin Owens

https://youtu.be/sAlmlb8W_DE

Interesting comment about the kac program being a failure. Great interview
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 7:37:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By urbanredneck:

Interesting comment about the kac program being a failure. Great interview
View Quote

The PSR program he mentions was won by Remington and had to be re-selected. Had nothing to do with KAC, they participated in the CSASS program and the SASS program before that.

Link Posted: 5/13/2020 8:36:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By flg23:

The PSR program he mentions was won by Remington and had to be re-selected. Had nothing to do with KAC, they participated in the CSASS program and the SASS program before that. 

https://i.imgur.com/ZIzOyRm.png
View Quote

So the mil is still buying the semi auto rifles? I thought those semi auto rifles were replacing all the bolt action sniper systems..

Okay...So this is a psr...

So what was the issue with the psr ride program?   Remington quality?
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 10:06:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Unknown issues lead to the issuance of the new ASR program. HK just was awarded the CSASS program, so they are technically replacing the m110 with the g28, but I know there is also a program out there to retrofit the M110 with a 6.5CM upper, not sure if a winner for that program has been selected yet.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 11:00:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By flg23:
Unknown issues lead to the issuance of the new ASR program. HK just was awarded the CSASS program, so they are technically replacing the m110 with the g28, but I know there is also a program out there to retrofit the M110 with a 6.5CM upper, not sure if a winner for that program has been selected yet.
View Quote

I believe that's just a SOCOM project not a Big Army one
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 3:34:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nihilsum] [#13]
Originally Posted By urbanredneck:

So the mil is still buying the semi auto rifles? I thought those semi auto rifles were replacing all the bolt action sniper systems..

Okay...So this is a psr...

https://www.remingtondefense.com/assets/images/sniper-rifles/psr/86640.jpg

So what was the issue with the psr ride program?   Remington quality?
View Quote

There is a strong move toward heavier cartridges in bolt-action systems while retaining semi-auto systems for things in the .308 family.

Sort of makes sense. We were kind of a generation behind the rest of the world when it came to the effective range of sniper systems.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 5:37:19 PM EDT
[#14]
6.5 cm uppers are being added for the semi auto platforms.

Yet the new prc comes in 308, 308 norma and 338 norma....no 6.5.... But they did add that the 308 was for training on windage more than anything
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 10:47:41 PM EDT
[#15]
They don't bring anything explicitly unique or cost-efficient to an already saturated commercial market for precision rifles. Certainly nice rifles, but for the overwhelming majority of consumers wanting a precision gun, there's just so much more out there for less money. The biggest issue with them is just the price.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 7:39:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By cheekibreeki:
They don't bring anything explicitly unique or cost-efficient to an already saturated commercial market for precision rifles. Certainly nice rifles, but for the overwhelming majority of consumers wanting a precision gun, there's just so much more out there for less money. The biggest issue with them is just the price.
View Quote

How many systems do what this does for a lower purchase cost? I can think of one.

This product is not courting the tikka/ruger/bergara market segment.  

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 1:02:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:00:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top