Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2020 6:30:37 AM EDT
Working on straight pull project rifle and I am at the point where I need to decide which side of the receiver the the bolt handle will reside.

The rifle itself has a right side ejection pattern and I am a right handed shooter.

Original thoughts were to put the handle on the left side so I can keep my primary hand on the grip and hold the cheek weld better.  Thinking that most of my shooting will be supported by rest/ bipod / barrier, so the support hand is not as critical.

Now, if the shooting is unsupported, I may be screwed.  However, the front end of the rifle is actually very light.

Your thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 6:49:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Left side - support side for me.  The perfect gun allows me to manipulate every control with my support hand.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 6:55:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Left

A mate here has a straight pull AR15 in .300BO
Cocking handle is on the left, he is VERY fast with it - though not sure if the 12" barrel helps (by keeping it less muzzle heavy & throwing the centre of gravity further back, etc.)

IF I was doing a straight pull build I'd go for a kak hander too
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 4:23:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Either left side - plain knob, or right side - extended rearward. Being more classically trained, I'd favor right.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top