Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2021 11:38:12 AM EDT
Working on seating depth. I think it’s official, I’m the weak link.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 2:48:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 4:39:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, you need a bigger jump...I start most bullet loads at .010" off, then for Bergers/barnes I just .030"-0.040" off for each jump...So .010" /.030"/.060"/.090"/.120" off and generally that works pretty fast and easy....

Link Posted: 12/6/2021 4:42:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
.002 change is not enough. The finest I do is .005 and mostly .010". I usually start at .020" off and never leave it.

What bullet?
View Quote

139 Scenar. I have 1,000 of them so slowly burning through them.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 4:44:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
Yeah, you need a bigger jump...I start most bullet loads at .010" off, then for Bergers/barnes I just .030"-0.040" off for each jump...So .010" /.030"/.060"/.090"/.120" off and generally that works pretty fast and easy....

View Quote

I’ll try again with bigger steps.

Thanks gentlemen! I’m learning!
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 5:16:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 7:16:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Rob01:

Burning through the barrel too. I don't like messing with weeks of load tweaking wasting components and barrel life. I usually find a load pretty quick but just figuring where I want to be for velocity, make sure it fits in the mag  and then set seating and as I said I rarely come off .020". Those Scenars are pretty jump tolerant. I wouldn't stress seating too much.
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 4:08:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Glock63] [#7]
Originally Posted By SpeyRod:

Thanks!
View Quote

You should be able to find a relatively wide node with most quality bullets. Keep in mind your throat is being pushed out with each shot. Holding .005 or even .010 tolerances for any length of time is a wet dream. Test in .030 jumps and refine from there.
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 11:23:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Glock63:

You should be able to find a relatively wide node with most quality bullets. Keep in mind your throat is being pushed out with each shot. Holding .005 or even .010 tolerances for any length of time is a wet dream. Test in .030 jumps and refine from there.
View Quote

In 223? I think not. Barrels last a long time in this mild round!

Nodes are generally 0.003” apart….so there is that. I still generally use 0.005” increments.
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 11:58:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RegionRat] [#9]
I agree with a 5.56 you have to sweep in fine increments to plot the nodes, but for the rifles I shoot, I think you slipped a digit on the node spacing?

For Service Rifle and for examples like a varmint profile (Sendero) those nodes space out more like 30 to 40 mils with bullets like the SMK 77 or SMK 80.

Your node sweep needs to be on the order of 0.005 to 0.007" to find them or to have at least a plot that you can interpret without guessing, then you can go back and refine it some more.

It is a coincidence that popular calibers derived from the 6 BR like the 6 Dasher, 6 BRA, 6 XC, etc, use the Berger 105 Hybrid which features a tangent-secant ogive and that bullet also likes to have nodes spaced out about 30 to 40 mils apart.

You have to have a good balance between the quality of the components like the BBL, the bullets, the whole gun system, and the shooter, to be able to have clear readable results.

If any part (or parts) of that eco-system has a parameter that is out of control and creating a strong scatter in the group size, it will make tuning the load for charge or seating depth very muddy. YMMV

ETA: I am discussing the general performance of Highpower, F-Class. PRS, etc., not Bench Rest where seating depth can be a completely different affair.
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 12:20:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Love the ideas behind the discussions. Keep them coming. Knowledge doesn’t exist in a vacuum.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top