Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2021 8:09:37 AM EDT
What do you guys use for a reloading bench top. I used 2x4,s screwed down and my top cracked. I need something not expensive but sturdy to replace it with. Thank for the advice
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 8:29:34 AM EDT
[#1]
When screwing down 2x4’s drill a small hole to start the screw in. Much less cracking. If the 2x4 top is real flat I would glue a solid piece of plywood or other table top material.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 8:52:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Doubled 3/4 plywood is popular.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 10:02:20 AM EDT
[#3]
1-3/4" solid wood door cores. You can beat the piss out of them and they're not going anywhere.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 10:58:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By r45d:
View Quote

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 11:55:32 AM EDT
[#5]
1" solid piece of butcher block. You can buy it at menards in various sizes and lengths for reasonable prices...well at least you used to be able to. M l made it a long time ago so not sure what the prices are like now in this nutty world we now live in.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 8:09:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I use a the particle board top with laminate that came on the metal desk I use. I have a strong mount under the Dillion and a fabricated oak mount under the single stage to spread the torque out on the top.

Rigidity of the top is not that important. Support the top with 2x4’s on edge on the underside where the press mounts. This will add rigidity, efficiently to the bench where it is needed most. Mount the scale separate from the bench on a wall where it will not see movement caused from the press.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 8:28:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: akethan] [#7]
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 8:47:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 8:33:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I used old kitchen counter tops from a remodel.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 2:50:23 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

This is what I used on 2 benches. Just make sure to use decent quality plywood that doesn't have a lot of voids. Use construction adhesive between them before screwing them down.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 7:12:36 PM EDT
[#11]
My bench top is 3/4” plywood over a very over-supported frame.

I have front-to-back 2x4 supports every 12 inches, and the top is screwed down to the perimeter and the supports at something like 8-inch intervals.  To give myself a smooth surface, I added a 1/4” sanded plywood layer that’s only screwed in a few places, but I glued it to the 3/4” plywood, so it’s like an extra set of plies.  It does not flex.

You can get just about as stout a top as possible by going with two layers of 3/4” plywood that you glue together and “glue and screw” the result to your bench frame.  And always drill pilot holes before you drive screws through the wood.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 7:53:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Get a solid core door at builder supply and zap it down works good for a bench top
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 7:59:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I repurposed a 6’ husky adjustable height work bench from HD, I believe it’s 1.25” butcher block top.  Anchored to exposed studs in the basement
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 8:39:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#14]
Originally Posted By User55645:
1-3/4" solid wood door cores. You can beat the piss out of them and they're not going anywhere.
View Quote
+1 - I use a part of the cheapest solid core door I could find at Homer's Depo.  Mine is held to it's base with 4 recessed lag bolts and the surface is finished with a poured clear epoxy finish...

Link Posted: 10/19/2021 9:10:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Attachment Attached File

I used a solid core door too.  

10 bucks at construction salvage yard.

Be sure to square up both sides if you use a door.  

Link Posted: 10/19/2021 9:43:31 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

This is what I did.  Some liquid nails between the layers and then some wood screws to secure it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 10:14:42 AM EDT
[#17]
I concur with the previous post about counter tops, I’ve made 4 different benches all out of a “scratch and dent or miscut” countertop I buy at lowes or Menards. The latest one I made was an old commercial style computer desk top. It works and is light gray, which I always like having a bright color for reloading, but I’m a clean freak and want to maintain the cleanliness.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 10:36:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Mine’s doubled 3/4 MDF with several coats of poly on top.  Was supposed to be temporary when I put it together 15 years ago…. A little scarred from moving presses and redrilling holes, but still holding up well.  The one before that was 1” butcher block. It was a small setup -wall to wall with 2X4 supports nailed to the walls in an unfinished closet under some stairs. Left it when we moved. No telling what the buyers thought was going on in that closet.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 10:40:02 AM EDT
[#19]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/262264/6D5E2C7E-E777-447C-9184-FEB58AE73775_jpe-2136273.JPG

I used a solid core door too.  

10 bucks at construction salvage yard.

Be sure to square up both sides if you use a door.  

View Quote
That is neat as hell
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 12:15:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Home Depot has mad stacks of butcherblock right now, in several sizes.  When I did my bench, that shit was unobtanium.

A surplus solid core door is also good, and quite heavy.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 12:16:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By smitters:
I concur with the previous post about counter tops, I’ve made 4 different benches all out of a “scratch and dent or miscut” countertop I buy at lowes or Menards. The latest one I made was an old commercial style computer desk top. It works and is light gray, which I always like having a bright color for reloading, but I’m a clean freak and want to maintain the cleanliness.
View Quote

I glued a “sanded both sides” layer of 1/4” plywood on top of my existing “B/C” plywood top to deal with some bumps and dents and generally give me a much smoother surface.  Once the gluing was done, I sealed it with Kilz primer, then painted it with a gray paint.  I had the paint mixed for about a neutral, “18% gray”, specifically to make it easier to see stuff on the bench top and keep the top clean.

I’m considering re-topping the bench, or more accurately “adding thickness to the bench top.”  My idea is a light, neutral colored scrap of counter top material that I’ll glue on top of everything else.  Since the substrate of the bench top is already layers of plywood, the use of a particle board-based counter top scrap won’t impair the stiffness of the top, but it will make it even easier to clean than it is.

I wonder if anyone has used a solid surface material for their bench top.  Some of these materials are pretty stout…
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 12:20:26 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

That's what my top is- covered with white plastic laminate and edge banded with 3/4" oak.

Works well.

I have a work bench thats 5-1/8" glu-lam beam laid on its side.  It's stout.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top