Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2015 10:56:03 PM EDT
I am in the market for a new bow as my kids are getting into archery. I have not shot in about 10 years.

I am a finger shooter and never liked the new releases. The guy at the bow shop said most bows are made for releases now.

I really am not comfortable shooting with a release. My last bow was a PSE Thunderflight. I was deadly accurate with it.

Anyone else have a hangup with releases? How did you get over it?

I usually anchor at the corner of my mouth but the bow guy said to anchor behind my jawbone. Do you have to anchor there?
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 8:49:21 AM EDT
[#1]
When I was shooting wheelies I ended up going to a back tension release (yes even to hunt with), I was shooting too quickly and punching the caliper releases and couldn't stop myself. I always have anchored to the corner of my mouth. Yeah, with these short ATA's out there now (30-32"), I could definitely see finger pinch being an issue impossible to overcome. May need to go to a target type bow and look for the long ATA's. I'm thinking 38-40" depending on your draw length. As an example; Mathews Conquest 4 is a 40" and would be worth a try. Obviously as a traditional shooter I'm shooting fingers now, never tried it with a compound.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:47:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Not much of an archer myself, but my daughters coach gave a good explanation of the preference for the jawbone anchor point.  It basically boils down to the bone on bone contact being more repeatable and stable than the soft tissue of the mouth.  It makes sense although I've seen lots of guys shoot better than I ever will from the corner of their mouth.   I doubt it makes much difference with a compound outside of formal competition.

You going to get another compound or will you shoot recurve with your little girl?
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 12:11:20 PM EDT
[#3]
like everything else, practice.

It also helps to find a release that fits you and your style.

I really like the Scott Mongoose XT - uses a buckle, not velcro, and the length of the release can be adjusted.

I started by NOT using my trigger finger, but my middle finger to pull the trigger. I was initially much smoother this way. Now I use my trigger finger. The point being I had to do something to make me much more conscious about what I was doing while learning to use the release.
Now, my whole focus is around extending my time at full draw and still being able to shoot accurately.

I'd look for a bow that you can draw smoothly and has a pronounced valley and back wall. Don't worry too much about speed. You probably will want a longer brace height, like a 7" - these tend to be more forgiving than a 6" BH.

a good dealer will let you try a bow before you buy it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top