Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2011 3:39:40 PM EDT
I would like to try competing in a few local 3 gun matches and am putting together the necessary equipment.  I have the basics: a pistol, a shotgun, and a carbine.  I am looking for some shotgun advice.

I currently have a Remington 870 Special Purpose (3" chamber) with a 26" vent rib rem choke barrel and a few chokes.  It has no sights (other than a bead) and no mag extension.  

What would I NEED to add to be effective in a 3 gun competition?  At the very least I will add an inexpensive magazine extension and a maybe a side saddle shell holder from 3 gun gear.

My big question is am I am going to be hampered greatly by the lack of iron sights?  This has been a skeet/trap gun, so I have not needed any sights until now.  I don't want to throw a ton of money into a set of LPA or XS ghost ring sights for this gun (the gun itself only cost me $200).  If I enjoy it and want to get competitive, I will look for a dedicated 3 gun auto loader to sink money into, but that is another question all together...

Thanks,
Daniel
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 4:40:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been shooting 3 gun for a few years and finish in the middle of the pack, or lower and have had a lot of fun. Load your gear up and go participate in a few local matches. Don't even worry about where you are going to finish. Talk with the guys you are squadded with. Look over their gear and see what looks like it will work better than what you have, but don't rush right out to try and buy the best gear until you have tried it a few times just for the fun of it. You will meet some great people and learn a lot of things. The main thing, HAVE FUN!
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 1:48:27 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I would like to try competing in a few local 3 gun matches and am putting together the necessary equipment. I have the basics: a pistol, a shotgun, and a carbine. I am looking for some shotgun advice.

I currently have a Remington 870 Special Purpose (3" chamber) with a 26" vent rib rem choke barrel and a few chokes. It has no sights (other than a bead) and no mag extension.

What would I NEED to add to be effective in a 3 gun competition? At the very least I will add an inexpensive magazine extension and a maybe a side saddle shell holder from 3 gun gear.

My big question is am I am going to be hampered greatly by the lack of iron sights? This has been a skeet/trap gun, so I have not needed any sights until now. I don't want to throw a ton of money into a set of LPA or XS ghost ring sights for this gun (the gun itself only cost me $200). If I enjoy it and want to get competitive, I will look for a dedicated 3 gun auto loader to sink money into, but that is another question all together...

Thanks,

Daniel

Most shotguns I see at 3-Gun matches (particularly larger ones) have 21"-24" barrels, vent ribs and fiber optic beads.  Often times they'll have a small rear sight dovetailed into the vent rib, but not always.  Even the guys shooting pump guns are running a vent rib barrel with a FO front sight.

Your shotgun will be fine with a magazine tube extension.  A side-saddle is a nice addition, but not a must-have.  I'd throw on a Nordic extension, maybe look into a FO bead to replace the one on your gun, get some shot-shell caddies (or a load-two belt if you prefer), a box of dummy shotgun shells and practice loading a bunch.

But as stated, check out some of your local 3-Gun matches.  Run what you have and just have fun.  The more you do, the more you'll get a feel for what types of guns & gear will suit you best.  

Link Posted: 12/28/2011 7:13:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I would go with a magazine ext. at the very most. As stated above go and shoot a few matches. If you are going to shoot tac optics/irons, you will want to upgrade to a semi auto to say with the pack.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 7:31:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep, as they said above, just put on a Nordic extension and shoot. You will figure out what you want at the match. I recommend shell strippers (4rnd) for your belt too. I have been shooting 3gun for about 3 years off and on. When I have a good day I finish middle of the pack. I am just now looking to upgrade my rifle (a 16" carbine) because I now know what would suit my needs/wants. My point is, it's easy to buy un-needed gear. Much better to just give it a few test runs and see what you want.

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 10:46:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I shot my whole first season with an 18" cylinder bore bead sight, no mag extension, and a butt cuff.  I was darned if I was going to go for all the frills if I did not want to continue.  I am still working on getting the proper gear, but am out there having fun anyway.  I am still using that 18" barrel, but now have an extension.  I will also add a side saddle this year, and maybe I can move up to a longer barrel that takes chokes.

-Corn
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 6:43:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Does anyone ever compete with Vang Comp barrel? I have an 18.5.

Sorry for threadjack. I'm also new to this.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 3:48:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Is that the barrel where they add gas ports on top?  If so, those may not be allowed in certain divisions other than open.  Check the rules where you'll be shooting to make sure.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 10:04:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I would like to try competing in a few local 3 gun matches and am putting together the necessary equipment.  I have the basics: a pistol, a shotgun, and a carbine.  I am looking for some shotgun advice.

I currently have a Remington 870 Special Purpose (3" chamber) with a 26" vent rib rem choke barrel and a few chokes.  It has no sights (other than a bead) and no mag extension.  

What would I NEED to add to be effective in a 3 gun competition?  At the very least I will add an inexpensive magazine extension and a maybe a side saddle shell holder from 3 gun gear.

My big question is am I am going to be hampered greatly by the lack of iron sights?  This has been a skeet/trap gun, so I have not needed any sights until now.  I don't want to throw a ton of money into a set of LPA or XS ghost ring sights for this gun (the gun itself only cost me $200).  If I enjoy it and want to get competitive, I will look for a dedicated 3 gun auto loader to sink money into, but that is another question all together...

Thanks,

Daniel

I just got to 3 Gun last year using a Benelli 18 inch Nova.  Using a pump, there was a decidedly speed disadvantage relative to the autoloader guys.  Seems like autoloaders rule the shotgun realm. I don't have the bucks to upgrade the shotgun.  Here is what I did:

- Mag extension to bring me from 5 to 7 rounds - you can get higher capacity extensions obviously. Nordic is a premo brand that you cannot go wrong with.

- Side saddle - this is debatable for some vets but I needed to have more rounds on the shotgun if I cannot get a longer extension. I got a 4 round caddy.

- A shell carrier (or carriers) - if you encounter a round heavy stage, you need something beyond the saddle.  I put stuff in a dump pouch and I saw guys put rounds in their pockets. Neither helps reload smoothly.  Obviously, it kills your overall stage time.  I use an AP Custom 4X4 (8 rounds) on a competition belt.  

- You don't need ghost ring sights in my opinion.  A fiber optic front would help you acquire targets better though.

Lastly, learn and practice your reloads (weakhand or strong). Many methods out there but try to get comfortable with your choice before a match.  

Best of luck to you.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:34:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I've only shot one 3gun match so far, but I learned a lot!  The first lesson was if it can go wrong, it will at a match. The second was carry enough ammo. A couple misses on a 20 rd shotgun stage will eat up a lot of ammo.
Try to find someone that'll lend you some shell caddys. The more the merrier!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top