Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2012 4:41:51 PM EDT
First whats the difference between a Comp and a Break?  I cant seem to get a straight answer.  Also Maybe I should change it to what’s your favorite comp that’s worked best for you.  I’m looking to come as close to eliminating barrel movement as possible and keep me on target.  I also really like night shooting so Id prefer to not have a huge fire ball blocking my FOV.  Id also like to have something that doesn’t weight 10lbs but that comes second to function.  Also second to function whats out there thats good that allows attachment of a suppressor?  I don’t have one yet but if there is one that does just as well then Id like to know about it.  For this price isn’t a concern and its going on an ACR if that matters.

heres my list so far that Im researching.  What are your oppinions of each?  

- PRI MSTN comp
-Primary Weapon Systems SM556 Tactical Compensator
-Primary Weapon Systems FSC556 Tactical Compensator
-PWS KAC556 Compensator
-AAC 5.56MM Brakeout™ 51T Compensator
-Surefire Muzzle Brake/Adapter MB556K
- Battle comp (not sure which one)

Thanks a lot for your input.

Link Posted: 3/27/2012 9:01:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Any help would be appreciated I’m pretty out of the loop in this area.  I've purposefully left any parts that effect recoil or anything stock for training purposes so I never bothered to learn about it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 10:33:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Short answer:  Basically the same thing.

I use the term muzzle brake usually when I am talking about suppressor mounts like the surefire that are also compensator's.  I could be wrong in my personal vocabulary.

They will all through gas and fireballs out the sides.  

Link Posted: 3/27/2012 10:36:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I have always used brake and comp interchangably.  I think the only difference between brake and compensator is what manufacturer A calls it and what manufacturer B calls it.

Best comp is too subjective dependant upon each shooter.

Some great comps include: JP tactical comp, Rolling Thunder, SJC Titan, Surefire MB556K, DPMS Miculek.  There are many others that perform as designed.

I've personally used the JP, Surefire, and DPMS on .223 rifles and can't tell much difference in the three- they all work well.  I haven't seen many of the other you listed at major matches, but that doesn't mean they aren't effective.

Generally a comp that is designed to provide some qualities of a brake and some qualities of a flash hider perform both functions decent, but neither function great.

You're in Etown, right?  Bring whatever gear you have and start shooting 3 gun up at Wilmore with us.  Next match is May 26.  If you need to borrow any gear, PM me, I'd be glad to help get you out there.

Link Posted: 3/27/2012 5:44:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have always used brake and comp interchangably.  I think the only difference between brake and compensator is what manufacturer A calls it and what manufacturer B calls it.

Best comp is too subjective dependant upon each shooter.

Some great comps include: JP tactical comp, Rolling Thunder, SJC Titan, Surefire MB556K, DPMS Miculek.  There are many others that perform as designed.

I've personally used the JP, Surefire, and DPMS on .223 rifles and can't tell much difference in the three- they all work well.  I haven't seen many of the other you listed at major matches, but that doesn't mean they aren't effective.

Generally a comp that is designed to provide some qualities of a brake and some qualities of a flash hider perform both functions decent, but neither function great.

You're in Etown, right?  Bring whatever gear you have and start shooting 3 gun up at Wilmore with us.  Next match is May 26.  If you need to borrow any gear, PM me, I'd be glad to help get you out there.

Maybe I should change it to whats your favorite comp thats worked best for you?  I am really interested to know more about this - PRI MSTN comp and how it stacks up to the more common breaks/comps.  Im also wondering about the PWS FSC556 Tactical Compensator since Ive seen it around a lot.

I will definitely PM you.  Thank you.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 4:50:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 11:54:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
First whats the difference between a Comp and a Break?  I cant seem to get a straight answer.  Also Maybe I should change it to what’s your favorite comp that’s worked best for you.  I’m looking to come as close to eliminating barrel movement as possible and keep me on target.  I also really like night shooting so Id prefer to not have a huge fire ball blocking my FOV.  Id also like to have something that doesn’t weight 10lbs but that comes second to function.  Also second to function whats out there thats good that allows attachment of a suppressor?  I don’t have one yet but if there is one that does just as well then Id like to know about it.  For this price isn’t a concern and its going on an ACR if that matters.

heres my list so far that Im researching.  What are your oppinions of each?  

- PRI MSTN comp
-Primary Weapon Systems SM556 Tactical Compensator
-Primary Weapon Systems FSC556 Tactical Compensator
-PWS KAC556 Compensator
-AAC 5.56MM Brakeout™ 51T Compensator
-Surefire Muzzle Brake/Adapter MB556K
- Battle comp (not sure which one)

Thanks a lot for your input.

My opinion of your list is that only the surefire and PRI used by the top guys.  I see lots of SJC Titan, Rolling Thunder, and JP Tactical comps.  I'm not saying the comps you list aren't effective.  I am just telling you what I see most of.  Personally I have only tried the rolling thunder, Titan and JP.

Is the Titan as good as what I'm reading?  The problem is Im reading similar things about a lot of these but not from anyone whos tried more than one of them.  At this point Im stuck between the Surefire, F2, PRI and the Titan.  What can you say about those?  Are all of those legal in tactical matches?

Also what design characteristics make up a good Comp?
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:01:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 9:42:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 3:30:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Does the blast from the Titan blow back at the shooter or just everyone else?  How big is the flash at night on it?  Does anyone know of some pics or videos of it fireing at night?  Also does anyone know of some videos testing/demonstrating the PRI QC?
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 6:51:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 7:33:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does the blast from the Titan blow back at the shooter or just everyone else?  How big is the flash at night on it?  Does anyone know of some pics or videos of it fireing at night?  Also does anyone know of some videos testing/demonstrating the PRI QC?

The Titan fires out and back.  The shooter doesn't feel it but the guy next to you definitely will.

how about in the dark or low light?  How bad is the muzzle flash? And does anyone know if there are any demos for the titan at night or for the PRI QC?

Link Posted: 4/3/2012 8:58:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Most comps are going to produce a pretty good sized fireball at night, but remember, they were designed to enhance recoil control not muzzle flash.  

You're best option for having a good compensator for daylight and also allows mounting a suppressor for lowlight is gonna be (as much as it pains me to say this...)....A Surefire.

USSA-1
Link Posted: 4/3/2012 9:56:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Most comps are going to produce a pretty good sized fireball at night, but remember, they were designed to enhance recoil control not muzzle flash.  

You're best option for having a good compensator for daylight and also allows mounting a suppressor for lowlight is gonna be (as much as it pains me to say this...)....A Surefire.

USSA-1

Well I've decided to hold off on a suppressor mount till I pick a suppressor and shorten my barrel to 14.5in.  So I'm probably going to have two barrels for the rifle, one for matches and one for for the suppressor (keep in mind its an ACR and only take 5 seconds to swap barrels).  

Is the fireball bad enough to hinder night shooting?  Or is it just there?

Also I emailed mstn about the QC brake and he mentioned that most company over compensate and drive the POA down during rapid fire.  Is this the case with the Titan?  It does seem like the top ports are bigger than most.  

Thanks for all the replies so far.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 11:14:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

USSA-1

Well I've decided to hold off on a suppressor mount till I pick a suppressor and shorten my barrel to 14.5in.  So I'm probably going to have two barrels for the rifle, one for matches and one for for the suppressor (keep in mind its an ACR and only take 5 seconds to swap barrels).  

Is the fireball bad enough to hinder night shooting?  Or is it just there?

Also I emailed mstn about the QC brake and he mentioned that most company over compensate and drive the POA down during rapid fire.  Is this the case with the Titan?  It does seem like the top ports are bigger than most.  

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Im ordering something tonght, so could anyone with experience with the titan weigh in on my last couple questions?

Link Posted: 4/4/2012 4:30:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 9:18:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I love the Titan. I used to run the FSC 556 on your list and its ok but not as good as the Titan. My gun does not jump when fired it just vibrates slightly with recoil.
titan comp in action  ignore the missing
titan in action 2
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 9:10:51 AM EDT
[#17]
I will let others offer their opinion of the Titan as I designed it and my opinion may be...shall we say, biased.  

USSA-1
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 12:34:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I will let others offer their opinion of the Titan as I designed it and my opinion may be...shall we say, biased.  

USSA-1

A few years back you said you were working on an improved titan. How is that coming? (By improved smaller not better performance it already works great)
pat
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 1:58:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

USSA-1

I'd still like to hear it.  I was looking for a way to Email someone from SJC about the Titan but couldnt find how too.  Id like to know how the Titan compares to the QC in your opinion and if the titan has a tendency to drive down the point of aim or drive it in any other direction a little.  Also how bad is it at night?

Link Posted: 4/5/2012 3:06:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

USSA-1

I'd still like to hear it.  I was looking for a way to Email someone from SJC about the Titan but couldnt find how too.  Id like to know how the Titan compares to the QC in your opinion and if the titan has a tendency to drive down the point of aim or drive it in any other direction a little.  Also how bad is it at night?

This is a three gun forum and we don't shoot at night. Muzzle brakes and comps are going to have bad flash signatures. You can mitigate this with the ammo you use quite a bit. But the point being if this is a duty gun or a home defense gun get a flash hider or a sound suppressor not a muzzle brake. If you want a compromise get a battle comp. But it will not reduce recoil and muzzle jump nearly as much as a good comp. You need to decide why you want this rifle. For three gun or something else. Another option is to run a Surefire muzzle brake and get a sound suppressor for use indoors and at night. (Need all the paperwork for class 2 of course) My point is if you build a great three gun rifle is will not be the best choice for self defense and vice versa. Use the right tool for the task at hand. As for a muzzle dip with the Titan I have not experienced that at all.
Pat
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 5:06:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

USSA-1

This is a three gun forum and we don't shoot at night. Muzzle brakes and comps are going to have bad flash signatures. You can mitigate this with the ammo you use quite a bit. But the point being if this is a duty gun or a home defense gun get a flash hider or a sound suppressor not a muzzle brake. If you want a compromise get a battle comp. But it will not reduce recoil and muzzle jump nearly as much as a good comp. You need to decide why you want this rifle. For three gun or something else. Another option is to run a Surefire muzzle brake and get a sound suppressor for use indoors and at night. (Need all the paperwork for class 2 of course) My point is if you build a great three gun rifle is will not be the best choice for self defense and vice versa. Use the right tool for the task at hand. As for a muzzle dip with the Titan I have not experienced that at all.
Pat

I do matches at night, well one so far and I'm doing one in a couple of weeks.  I know there will be a muzzle flash and I'm fine with that, I'm just trying to figure out if it will be so bad that it will block my line of sight and actually slow me down.  Ive seen/tried rifles that do that and I had to stop shooting because I couldnt see the targets.  So its a competition rifle.  What type of ammo/powder usually helps?
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 5:24:24 PM EDT
[#22]
I like the Rolling Thunder. It feels better than the others to me and it does not seem as loud shooting it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 5:32:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I like the Rolling Thunder. It feels better than the others to me and it does not seem as loud shooting it.

Have you tried the Titan or PRI QC for comparison?
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 7:33:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

USSA-1

Pat

I do matches at night, well one so far and I'm doing one in a couple of weeks.  I know there will be a muzzle flash and I'm fine with that, I'm just trying to figure out if it will be so bad that it will block my line of sight and actually slow me down.  Ive seen/tried rifles that do that and I had to stop shooting because I couldnt see the targets.  So its a competition rifle.  What type of ammo/powder usually helps?

Military ammo uses flash retardent powders as does some leo duty loads. Load on left is M855 Nato with flash retardent. Load on right is Federal Xm193 without flash retardent. All are fired in a dark room.

Link Posted: 4/5/2012 7:44:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

USSA-1

Pat

Military ammo uses flash retardent powders as does some leo duty loads. Load on left is M855 Nato with flash retardent. Load on right is Federal Xm193 without flash retardent. All are fired in a dark room.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Flash%20hiders/Muzzleflash-1.jpg

thats really interesting, thank you.  So I'll just shoot the night match with some M855 rnds.  

Is there a class or type of match that the Titan is not legal in?  Im kind of new to this so sorry for the questions.
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 8:13:01 PM EDT
[#26]

Is there a class or type of match that the Titan is not legal in?  Im kind of new to this so sorry for the questions.[/quote]

The Titan is legal in all classes. There are only a few brakes that are not legal like the JP tank brake which is only legal in open. Its to do with the size specs setup in the rules.
Pat

Link Posted: 4/5/2012 8:19:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have shot the Titan, it's good. On my 18" govt profile bbl with rifle gas, the Rolling Thunder feels smoother . I think a lot will depend on barrel weight,length ,and gas tube length.
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 8:53:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have shot the Titan, it's good. On my 18" govt profile bbl with rifle gas, the Rolling Thunder feels smoother . I think a lot will depend on barrel weight,length ,and gas tube length.

Its a 16.5in M4 profile bbl and it doesnt have a gas tube its an ACR, so its a piston system.

What do you mean by smoother?

Link Posted: 4/5/2012 11:13:50 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm using a PRI QC brake on my new rifle build (see the stickied rifle pics thread for photos and details).  I don't have any experience with other comps, so I can't really provide any comparative information.

I'd be happy to shoot some video of the rifle in operation, with the caveat that I'm still new to shooting a rifle with a brake.  I work all weekend and won't be able to make it to the range until next week (not sure if I'll go out Monday or Wednesday).

So far I'm very happy with the rifle and the QC brake though.  

Link Posted: 4/5/2012 11:52:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm using a PRI QC brake on my new rifle build (see the stickied rifle pics thread for photos and details).  I don't have any experience with other comps, so I can't really provide any comparative information.

I'd be happy to shoot some video of the rifle in operation, with the caveat that I'm still new to shooting a rifle with a brake.  I work all weekend and won't be able to make it to the range until next week (not sure if I'll go out Monday or Wednesday).

Id appriciate that if you dont mind.  Anything you dont lik about it?  How would you describe the recoil reduction and muzzle movement?
Link Posted: 4/13/2012 8:12:48 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Id appriciate that if you dont mind.  Anything you dont lik about it?  How would you describe the recoil reduction and muzzle movement?

I'll have to apologize.  I had a late court notify come in and couldn't make it to the range this week.  I'll give it another shot on my next set of days off (Tue/Wed/Thu).

There isn't anything I don't like about it so far.  As I mentioned though, I don't really have much experience with compensators on rifles so I don't really know how others perform.  As far as recoil reduction, it's fantastic.  It doesn't seem like the muzzle moves at all to me.

Like I said, I'll see if I can't get out to the range on my next days off and get some video.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 2:14:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top