Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2015 2:42:11 AM EDT
I am working an a 8" 300 black SBR for fun (its just a pistol now), but am thinking about a .223 wylde SBR upper to play with cheaper ammo and to toy in any short range 3 gun matches I can run down.  The local range also has an informal rifle+pistol competition day once a year with a max of 50 yards.

I can tell the main reason for an SBR is quick handling.  I would guess then my suppressor is definitely out as you would not want the weight.

Is hitting power factor an issue?  I would think anything above 11.5 should still get 55grain bullets to power factor.  Or do people just use 69 grain and above to be safe?

If going SBR I would guess the barrel does not have to be top tier.  I would think 2 MOA is enough.???

To me a 14.5 is definitely out.  10.5 is too short for me.  I would be 11.5" to 12.5".  Interesting thing about 12.5 is some offer a midlength gas system. That might be interesting with an adjustable gas block. and I could get a rifle length handguard on it.

Thoughts???  and how are other people doing SBRs for competition.  

Another thing I notice about my carbines is the shorter grip is annoying to me.  I have long arms and like rifle length handguards and longer.  Maybe I should just look into a pencil barreled 16" with a 15" handguard instead.  Would this not be nearly as light and nimble as an SBR and close to as accurate???
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 5:51:43 AM EDT
[#1]
there really is no power factor in 3 gun.  If shooting plates, as long as the plates fall you're good to go.
We see sbr from time to time.  
I've ran with an sbr for a few carbine matches.  No issues other than the fact the sbr really isn't  a competition gun.
I get faster times and splits using a more specialized 18" rifle
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 11:40:50 AM EDT
[#2]

I'm shooting a 12.5" AR now in 3 gun (it is Compass Lake barrel with the CLE223 chamber) with a 1-4x scope, I have a 18" Rifle gas that I haven't tried out in a match yet but I don't think it would help much.  I've shot 11.5" Lightweight with a Red dot and 16" Middy with a 1-4x before.  I don't think in most cases there is a big accuracy difference and the if the gas systems are dialed in should not be much of a recoil difference.  Match coming up this weekend and I think I am taking my 8.5" 300blik for the first time (suppressed).  Plan is to use sonic loads on the long shots, and on the short stages to load up a sonic round for the last shot on the short stages to set off the timer.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 4:07:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I am working an a 8" 300 black SBR for fun (its just a pistol now), but am thinking about a .223 wylde SBR upper to play with cheaper ammo and to toy in any short range 3 gun matches I can run down.  The local range also has an informal rifle+pistol competition day once a year with a max of 50 yards.

I can tell the main reason for an SBR is quick handling.  I would guess then my suppressor is definitely out as you would not want the weight.

Is hitting power factor an issue?  I would think anything above 11.5 should still get 55grain bullets to power factor.  Or do people just use 69 grain and above to be safe?

If going SBR I would guess the barrel does not have to be top tier.  I would think 2 MOA is enough.???

To me a 14.5 is definitely out.  10.5 is too short for me.  I would be 11.5" to 12.5".  Interesting thing about 12.5 is some offer a midlength gas system. That might be interesting with an adjustable gas block. and I could get a rifle length handguard on it.

Thoughts???  and how are other people doing SBRs for competition.  

Another thing I notice about my carbines is the shorter grip is annoying to me.  I have long arms and like rifle length handguards and longer.  Maybe I should just look into a pencil barreled 16" with a 15" handguard instead.  Would this not be nearly as light and nimble as an SBR and close to as accurate???
View Quote
There is a short-range monthly 3gun match I attend locally that is scored IDPA-style that I run a suppressed 11.5", mainly just for fun.  It has an adjustable gas block, so it is pretty soft and fast.  Got a 12" handguard that covers about half the flashhider/mount, so part of the Saker is under the handguard.

I've shot it out to 500yds, but not in match conditions.  Accuracy isn't a problem, especially if you are just running <50yd matches.

It is just a BCM 11.5" barrel and accurate enough.  If I wanted to/had the inkling to bother, I'd have no worries about running it at matches with targets out to 300yds since I just have an Aimpoint mounted on it.

For longer matches, I stick with the 18" gun as that is set up as my gamer gun.

For the 16" pencil vs SBR weight question, it depends on the barrel profile you got for the SBR, if you got the same style of handguard for both, right?  
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 10:36:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I run a 11.5 SBR, ironically it's more accurate than my 18' barrel with 55's. Its perfect for local matches with no shots past 150yds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top