Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2013 1:49:04 PM EDT
Don't want to spend a fortune on night vision so i'm looking for a kill light to go hunting with. Anybody have any experience with kill lights and what color works best? Would like to mount on my rifle. Will be used on a SCAR 17S with Elcan SpecterDR 1-4x. Would consider a night vision to be used with my Elcan but don't want to spend a lot because I already have a lot invested in my current setup.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:52:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I use elusive wildlife technologies XLR250 - have one green and one red.  took a moving hog last year from about 75-80 yards - great illumination, was able to ID a bear at around 120 yards

http://www.elusivewildlife.com/index.php?section=1

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:00:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use elusive wildlife technologies XLR250 - have one green and one red.  took a moving hog last year from about 75-80 yards - great illumination, was able to ID a bear at around 120 yards

http://www.elusivewildlife.com/index.php?section=1
View Quote

Yeah thats the one I was mainly looking at.. Which color do you find works better? I'm leaning more towards the green by the reviews I've read and videos I've seen.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:54:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Tag for info. The green looks to be the best. I am very interested in buying one.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:13:14 PM EDT
[#4]
after doing research and reading other forum topics I decided to go ahead and purchase the Elusive Wildlife Technologies XLR 250 Green from Boondocks-Outdoors for 139.99 shipped.. I'll be taking it hog hunting in a couple weeks so I'll see how it goes and how well it works.. would have ordered from EWT directly since theyre located pretty close to me but I had to consider state sales tax and shipping costs so I went ahead with Boondock-Outdoors.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 6:33:58 PM EDT
[#5]
What are your mounting thoughts? I too have the green one saved in a cart on their sight, but I am still looking. You really cant beat that package deal from what I have been looking for.

Quoted:
after doing research and reading other forum topics I decided to go ahead and purchase the Elusive Wildlife Technologies XLR 250 Green from Boondocks-Outdoors for 139.99 shipped.. I'll be taking it hog hunting in a couple weeks so I'll see how it goes and well it works.. would have ordered from EWT directly since theyre located pretty close to me but I had to consider state sales tax and shipping costs so I went ahead with Boondock-Outdoors.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 6:43:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What are your mounting thoughts? I too have the green one saved in a cart on their sight, but I am still looking. You really cant beat that package deal from what I have been looking for.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
after doing research and reading other forum topics I decided to go ahead and purchase the Elusive Wildlife Technologies XLR 250 Green from Boondocks-Outdoors for 139.99 shipped.. I'll be taking it hog hunting in a couple weeks so I'll see how it goes and well it works.. would have ordered from EWT directly since theyre located pretty close to me but I had to consider state sales tax and shipping costs so I went ahead with Boondock-Outdoors.

i will most likely be mounting it on one of the side rails.. thought about mounting it on the bottom rail, but then i would have to move my gripod so i will probably go with the side rail... but definitely wont be mounting it on my optic
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 6:51:39 PM EDT
[#7]
That was my thoughts. I cant see it being on top of the optic as being the best option, but on there site they are all top mounted.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:03:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I actually like it on top of the optic - makes rifle feel more balanced without the significat weight of the light on the front.  also, it give a very uniform illumination when using scope

my previous hog hunter - 6.8 SPC ( bottom)

my current hog hunter - 300aac

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:25:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah the reason i don't want to mount on top of the optic is to make sure I don't cause any scratches/marks/damages to my optic, otherwise i would give it an extra thought...
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:29:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I have burris pepr mount with rails on top of rings - works well
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:30:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Sweet rig. Im not concerned with scratches on the optics or whatever. I will just have to see how it feels in my hand when shooting with the light up top like that. I kryloned my hunting rig so I don't care about cosmetics to much.

also do you use the green light on other varmints? the really push the green for hogs..just curious what it reflected out on yotes for instance at 150 yard?

Quoted:
I actually like it on top of the optic - makes rifle feel more balanced without the significat weight of the light on the front.  also, it give a very uniform illumination when using scope

http://images61.fotki.com/v249/photos/2/787792/9360390/FotoFlexer_Photo-vi.jpg

https://sphotos-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1000689_573888789328444_2141902159_n.jpg  
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:37:24 PM EDT
[#12]
thats pretty nice.. but i don't have a conventional scope that is compatible for something like that so my options are limited when it comes to mounting on top of my optic..
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:40:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sweet rig. Im not concerned with scratches on the optics or whatever. I will just have to see how it feels in my hand when shooting with the light up top like that. I kryloned my hunting rig so I don't care about cosmetics to much.

also do you use the green light on other varmints? the really push the green for hogs..just curious what it reflected out on yotes for instance at 150 yard?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://images61.fotki.com/v249/photos/2/787792/9360390/FotoFlexer_Photo-vi.jpg

https://sphotos-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1000689_573888789328444_2141902159_n.jpg  

on the Elusive Wildlife FAQs webpage, it says to use the red light for predators..

taken from EWT FAQ webpage:

"What color light is the best for hunting at night?
A.  We highly recommend using RED LIGHTS FOR PREDATORS and GREEN LIGHTS FOR HOGS for a variety of reasons. Predators are least likely to be spooked by a red light. Our red lights can shine eyes easily up to 500 yards even with our small 100 yard light. Hogs are color blind and the red or green doesn’t bother them but hogs are usually dark in color and are much harder to see with the red so green is the best choice for hogs. Green light is much easier for the human eye to see than red light which is why most people choose green. We have many customers that use green for predators and report great success but we have personally been the most successful with red when it comes to predators."
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:51:24 AM EDT
[#14]
I use their green light for hog hunting.  I have it mounted on top of the scope with the plastic mount.  It doesn't scratch the scope and it will stay in position for 2 or 3 shots.  I use couple of tie wraps to secure the curly cord to the scope and the mount so it stays out of the way.  I also use Velcro tape to secure the pressure switch to the forestock of the rifle.

I've lit up hogs from as close as 25 yards away and they didn't run.  I've shined the light on feeding sounder from 50 yards for about 3 minutes and they didn't react.  As long as you don't shine the light directly to their eye they don't seem to react very much.   To minimize the chance of alarming hogs what my friends and I do is to point the light above the hogs and then slowly bring the light down on them.  

Here is my "hog rig" consisting of Remington 700 in 308 and Bushnell 4200 scope with the light on top.

Link Posted: 9/12/2013 5:47:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Just got my XLR 250 in today.. gotta say this thing is very bright.. looks to be well made and the package and overall accessories is good.. will have to take it out hog hunting and see how it really performs but it looks promising..
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 7:39:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just got my XLR 250 in today.. gotta say this thing is very bright.. looks to be well made and the package and overall accessories is good.. will have to take it out hog hunting and see how it really performs but it looks promising..
View Quote

I'm subscribing for an AAR on your light. Let us know thoughts and experiences with it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 11:03:48 AM EDT
[#17]
We are going to south GA dor a hog hunt in a month. 4 XLR250 will be used and 1 XLR100 as scouting light. Last year i took a hog at around 70-80 yards with red XLR250. Worked great. BTW, hog was white

Link Posted: 10/6/2013 5:26:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Any luck with the light? just ordered one for a hunt this weekend
Link Posted: 10/6/2013 5:31:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haven't been able to go on a hunt yet, but I used it outside and seemed as good as advertised.. Only problem I had was the Velcro on the back of the light activation switch has come off but it's an easy fix..
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 2:37:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Prior to getting NV, this was my most meaningful invention when hunting pigs.  With some experimentation on mounting angle you can get it to where you will light up the area you see through your optic.  This allowed me to scan without raising my rifle.

Link Posted: 10/14/2013 1:38:41 PM EDT
[#21]
good choice on the xlr250.  I have 2 of them and I have about 8 buddies that use them too.  We all have green.  I can't speak to the red one but Elusive Wildlife is only about 45 minutes down the road, and they are good to go!  I have one on my AR mounted on the rail and the other switches between my other rifles on top of the scopes.  The scope/barrel mount is well made and never loosens up.  I've taken hogs on dark nights out to 150 yards with no problem.  It was money well spent!
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:10:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Tried out my XLR250, its a great a light and the mount is actually pretty good. Lights up eyes at 200 yds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top