Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2012 7:04:17 AM EDT
This is a good article to read and take into consideration when hog hunting, it pays NOT to hunt alone....

http://www.gon.com/article.php?id=2081&cid=89

Dr. Jackson hobbled to his gun safe and pulled out his Remington.

“It was a fight to the death,” he said, pointing to the bite marks and gouges along the barrel. “One of us wasn’t coming out of there alive.”
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:12:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I hunt alone at night all the time and I have done this for nearly 30 years. I have been charged by several hogs most were false charges. A wounded hog is not something you mess around with. I have seen big old boars ambush dogs that are after them but most of the time the hog is just trying to escape. I would have picked something a little different than a bolt action 243 to go after a wounded hog. Even a 5.56 AR with a 30 rd mag would have been better or a .45 acp. A 12 ga would have been my choice.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:23:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Why was he going after a 200 lb boar at 350 yds with a damn .243?

But also, carrying a 1911 doesn't hurt.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:00:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Why was he going after a 200 lb boar at 350 yds with a damn .243?

But also, carrying a 1911 doesn't hurt.

I would do it with a 223, why not a 243? It'll kill em.

I've almost stepped on hogs before, I'm sure its just a matter of time before one gets me.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:27:57 PM EDT
[#4]
The caliber would work but I wouldn't want to get into a situation where fast shots decide whether I'm eaten by a hog or not and use a bolt action.  I have several bolt actions that I love but not the best choice when you are up close and personal with a hog that can eat you.  Glad he survived and recovered.  My preference is my Loki Grendel or Alexander Arms Beowulf if there are monsters in the area plus a handgun with some punch in case things go south fast.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:25:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Hunting accidents happen, the key point here is his friend saved him from bleeding out once the hog had him down and was attacking him.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:23:00 AM EDT
[#6]
It is a plain and simple fact that hogs smell fear.. more so than a dog can.

The 2 times that I was charged in 13 years was when I had a guy trying to climb up on my back when the action started.

After I shot them a second time they changed there direction ! Guess they thought WOW that did hurt.

It is just fun to track the wounded ones...I always say 'watch for a standing hog' there thru running and ready to stand and fight with there last breath.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:32:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Yea Kinda like the one we shot at and wounded.  He ran into the Pencil Pines that were so thick I could not see you 10 yds in with a thermal scope.  I think it was smart you and Brian backed out.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:37:34 PM EDT
[#8]
The one in my Avatar charged me after I had wounded him several minutes earlier.  It did not work out well for him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top