Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2012 6:24:48 PM EDT
I have been wanting a thumper for about a year now, well at least since I hunted pigs last March.  This was the next on my short list.  It is a .458 Socom RRA upper and S&W lower, a magpul stock and limbsaver pad.  600 bullets and 150 rds of brass.  Ready for some new glass.  Have to save up for that one.  

Just loaded the first work up.  

25 rds each of 300gr hdy JHP and 325gr FTX in a load ladder.  Man these are big projectiles.  The bullet alone is larger than a 9mm cartridge.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:46:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:02:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Try some of the Barnes TTSX. They are expensive but they work great. I shoot it and the 405's
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:11:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Yea I plan on getting some TTSX's.  That will come a little later though.  Probably with my next purchase of more brass.

And the 405's look promising also.  I really want to try some of those 500gr pile-drivers.Then the 100gr Alum then then then...  Just need to get it all lined out first though.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:55:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Good stuff.  Love the 458.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:48:04 AM EDT
[#5]
The ones with the little pink noses are cute....
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:19:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Never had a problem dropping hogs at 300 yards with 223.  .22 caliber bullets and primers are cheaper.

Guess it depends on particular application, but my main course of action has been to elimiate them not eat or hunt them. And 99% of the time they do run, but I don't care... I dont have to pick them up and drag them off myself.....  

To each their own! As long as we are killing each and EVERY wild hog we see get afer them with a .22rr,9mm, 50cal I dont care!!! KILL EVERY ONE YOU SEE!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:59:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Yea, the .223 can be an effective weapon against a pig.  I use one to take one last march.  The first sounder we stalked up on we fired about 20 rounds, had multiple hits and did not recover a single hog.  I know I hit at least 2 and my son probably did likewise.  He was using a 6.8.  I know we did some serious damage as when we came on the sounder the second time all the piglets were there but the adults were nowhere to be seen.  If I had to I will use a .223 but I decided next time it was going to be my AR10 but then I found the .458.  I don't know why but this gun just intrigues me.  I will see how well I like it on Friday, will be the first time I get to shoot.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:50:07 PM EDT
[#8]
The 458 has been on my Want list for a very long time.  I need to stop buying other guns and just buy an upper and be done with it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:17:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Yea I plan on getting some TTSX's. That will come a little later though. Probably with my next purchase of more brass.

And the 405's look promising also. I really want to try some of those 500gr pile-drivers.Then the 100gr Alum then then then... Just need to get it all lined out first though.

You'll find the 300 gr JHPs, 405 gr soft points are both very effective on hogs. I couldn't find the Rem bulk packs anywhere for awhile.

The Barnes TTSX is the best bullet you can buy. It is very consistent and predictable and expensive.

I would like to try some of the 100 gr Lehigh as well.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:52:09 PM EDT
[#10]
300 TTSX ready for duty.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:52:09 PM EDT
[#11]
50 little soldiers all in formation.  Now if only each would count for at least one hog..  I hope to get some TTSX in the near future.  I will be very happy with the JHP's and the FTX's for now.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:15:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm covered...I'm sure my Colt 6920 would work but I'd probably carry my Grendel and keep my Beowulf slung across my back in case Hogzilla attacks then I'd use the .50
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 2:55:37 AM EDT
[#13]

They look like little ICBMs

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:04:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Nice man! I want a big bore AR ever since I got to shoot my bud's .50 Beowulf a few months ago. Talk about stopping power, wow!
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:47:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Well I took it to the range today. Let me say, I am pleasantly surprised at the lack of recoil. I was building myself up to a major shoulder buster and it is no more than my .308 bolt gun. Now the limbsaver might have a lot to do with it but still very happy. The weapon performed well over-all. It fired and ejected all rounds, custom and reloads as it should have. I had heard some horror stories of malfunctions but it ran great.

As for the shooting, Hmmm, I was having a bit of a problem with the scope base a Burris PEPR lever latch. The rear latch would not lock down. I could not get a consistent grouping. SO I took it in to the local gunstore and we fixed it. So I will have to go back to the range in the next week or so and try again. I could get 3 to group well but then major flyers. I noticed the problem but I had already shot most all my rounds. Even so it is accurate enough to hunt with. As I say it is Minute of Hog. All shots would be in the kill zone out to 150yds. Which that is what I was hoping.

I will say this gun is a pleasure to shoot. I think I am going to like it even more than I thought. Oh by the way, since the .458 SOCOM is called the "hammer" I decided to name this gun. Being a knifmaker I use a 100lb Beaudry  power hammer to forge my steel,   I named it Beaudry after the brand name of my power hammer. I know corny.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 10:09:05 PM EDT
[#16]

The .458 Socom is awesome. Even without the limbsaver I'd say it kicks less than a 12 gauge.

The only issue I've had was due to a chunk of lead getting gouged off the tip of a 405gr Rem handload from a Pmag I modded and the lead wedging itself on the edge of the case mouth.

The round failed to chamber fully and it took some time to get the round back out.

Enjoy

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top