Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2011 11:57:43 AM EDT
Can anyone recommend an ammunition for .44 magnum that would be best for hogs, deer and other such animals?  The gun I have is a Winchester model 94.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:13:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Can anyone recommend an ammunition for .44 magnum that would be best for hogs, deer and other such animals?  The gun I have is a Winchester model 94.

I've shot a few deer and quite a few hogs with the .44 Magnum from both revolvers and lever action rifles. The only ammo that I was NOT happy with were handloads using the Speer Gold Dot 270 grain flat point. I had 3 out of 4 hits on hogs fail to penetrate more than about six inches, the bullets came apart and did not penetrate.  Surprisingly the 4th was a pass through and penetrated over 12 inches of hog.

My preference in a factory load would be a 240 grain jacketed soft point, with a 240 jacketed hollow point coming in second.

This stuff is good ammo.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:53:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool, I'll try this through my rifle. Thanks for the recommendation!
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 2:38:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I have only shot one hog. It was with a 629 S&W with a regular 240 gr cast lead semi wadcutter and it worked just fine. It was a handload with 2400.
This load is accurate in several 44 pistols and my Marlin lever gun.

Cast lead flat nose bullets are pretty old school but they have a decent reputation for killing critters
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 2:39:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Cool, I'll try this through my rifle. Thanks for the recommendation!

I neglected to say that I've used a variety of ammo, factory loads and handloads, everything from 180 grain JHPs to 300 grain Hornady XTPs and the *ONLY* fail was the Speer 270 Gold Dots.

I killed my first deer 35 years ago, with a Ruger 44 carbine.  I was shooting Federal 180 grain JHPs, because they grouped better in that gun than 240's.  Even the 180 JHP load was a broadside pass through on that little forkie.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:18:45 PM EDT
[#5]
240gr Hornady XTP's are great bullets. Probably a bit spendy if you're not loading your own though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top