Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2011 9:11:22 AM EDT
I am putting up a couple of new blinds this fall. They will be used almost 100% for hog hunting. How high off the ground should I put them? Generally, I think higher is better. It gets your scent up off the ground which is a big issue with hogs.

We have one tower blind that I was hunting about a year ago, had a hog coming in and I KNOW he saw me in the blind and left before I could get a shot. There is some high ground nearby 60-80 yards and that is where he was when he did an about face and took off- the wind was away from him so I know it wasn't that, pretty sure that he saw movement- me getting ready for the shot. That stand is probably 16' in the air! One thing I did AFTER that was to install see through curtains in all of the windows and I don't think that will be a problem but I do wonder about the scent issue.

I don't want them too tall though, it can be dangerous AND I am using semi sleepers for my blinds. They are HEAVY and getting them up high is going to be a real challenge. I am thinking 12-14' or more. I'm going to use 3" well pipe for the towers...... Thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 11:01:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Nobody has any ideas?
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 11:13:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 11:16:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Fortunately, we don't have any flood issues on our place! I am thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-14' is probably pretty good. Again, my main concern is getting scent up off the ground a little.....
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 11:25:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 11:31:23 AM EDT
[#5]
No. We only rifle hunt although my hunting buddy has made some noise about shooting a pig with a crossbow. A handgun is about as close as I will ever get myself. Not that I have anything against it but I don't have the time to practice as much as bow hunting demands. When I was growing up and in my 20's I had all kinds of time and bowhunted.....now with wife, two kids, self employment etc....my time is all spoken for.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 12:03:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 6:03:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Height is good, but too much can be a pain.  Lots of folks have multiple blinds per feeder...then use the one that works for the wind on any given day.  If you open all the windows on your blind when you're hunting it is very easy for animals to skylight you against the sky from the windows on the back side of the blind.  Either cover the windows with cloth, or stagger their placement so that from any primary line of sight to the feeder you're covered.  Stay back in the shadows and you should be good.  Good luck to you!
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 6:18:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Have you considered tree stands/ big ones made for 2?
It is an option for getting out higher....
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 10:51:10 AM EDT
[#9]
The answer is really going to depend on the area you're hunting, wind direction, ect. I've hunted from ground blinds and killed hogs at 12 yards that had no idea I was there and I've been winded in a tree stand that was 30' up, which incidentally is way too fucking high and I'll never do that again.

We've got a ground blind set up right now that's about 40 yards from the feeder. We used it twice last week but the hogs have started coming out later with the recent heat wave and we didn't stay out long enough but we had monster bucks at the feeder that never knew we were there. If the wind is right it's all about sound and movement.

In most cases, you're gonna find that wind direction plays a bigger part than stand height unless you're way the hell up there and even then they'll be able to smell where you walked in. For where we're at, I prefer to setup stands/blinds on the east side of where I'll be hunting, since that leaves the spots pretty much available year round since I know the wind in going to change between north/south and we get a lot of wind out of the west.

When I'm stalking them it's nothing to get within 10-15 yards on foot but the wind has to be right. At that point it's slow movements and no noise. I'll stalk with a round chambered and safety off since even the sound of quietly taking off the safety is enough to alert them sometimes.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 7:11:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Whatever floats your boat.  I have made everything from 0 to 35 feet work.  I really like our 3 in deep south texas that are 35 feet.  I have never had an animal look at me and many times I have made noise.  I also like the view.  I can scan feeders that are over half a mile away and have made shots at 6 different feeders from one stand.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 1:25:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Also, since you are here in Gods land of Texas, you might want to watch how high it is for fear of being blown over
(wind gust were I hunt and live can get as high as 30+ on a normal day)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top