Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2011 12:32:11 PM EDT
I took my girlfriends cousin out to Navasota Saturday night with hopes to get him a shot at his first hog.  We saw some 20-30 pigs early before it got dark and he popped one with a 110 gr pro hunter.  I saw the pig drop looking like a high shoulder shot where the mud flew off his back.  We started chasing the rest of the hogs threw the woods, and I never could find the pig he shot.  I felt bad for the little guy, because he made a good shot, and I couldn't take pics with him and the pig.  

Fast forward to 9:30-10pm.  Helmet mounted with NOD's we were driving around checking roads we corned earlier in the night.  Sure enough there were some pigs feeding on one of the roads.  We jumped off the four wheeler to begin the stalk.  Wind direction wasn't the greatest, so I knew we couldn't get to close.  I quickly noticed there were a shit load of hogs to the left off the road feeding.  At the same time to the right a big boar hog was working towards us.  Just as I had thought the other pigs blew us, and took off.  The big boar knew something was wrong and started working away from us.  I set Dalton up with some primo shooting sticks to try to get him on the pig.  He was really hard to pick up due to the dark night and the heavy cover in the bottom.  Finally he picked him up and put him down.  I never saw him drop and didn't really here a hit.  I really thought he'd missed.  I started laughing when he looked at me and said " I smoked his but".  I worked my way over and couldn't find the hog until I looked threw the thermal, and saw him clear as day.  To say Dalton was excited was a understatement.  I think he's told just about everyone in Texas about it. LOL...  

The bullet used was a 100gr accubond.  I looked for a entry and exit hole, but never could find one.  The way the boar dropped I figured it was a ear or neck shot.  However I couldn't find a mark on him.  I'm thinking it was a high shoulder shot because he was covered in mud in that area.  Overall very impressed with the new rig.  WAY WAY lighter than my .308, and also very easy to handle with the short barrel.  Next pig will be taken with a 85gr barnes bullet.

Thanks HTR with helping me out with the rifle.  

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 2:07:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Way kewl, congrats to the young hunter!
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 2:15:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome!  Congrats to the new hunter and the proud Uncle!  

Wish we could have SBR's in my State.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 6:49:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Excellent story!  thanks for posting.  I am glad to see that you got the rifle built.  Should take down lots of hogs.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 11:25:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 4:56:08 AM EDT
[#5]
awesome dude!! That gun is way lighter than the .308 for sure that thing is a beast with the NV, surpressor, etc.. You need to let me know when I can come out again man
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 10:36:40 AM EDT
[#6]

awesome
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 10:46:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Good stuff.

"Smoked his butt"  LOL
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 9:58:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I started laughing when he looked at me and said " I smoked his but".  

That just makes my day! Good for you for showing him the ropes!

Reminds me of something I would of said as a little guy.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:04:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Awesome!  Makes me smile.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:48:14 AM EDT
[#10]
way to go, that young man and his rifle is a hog killing machine
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:35:53 AM EDT
[#11]
The boy really loves to hunt.  What surprised me was how quick he was with the NV.  I showed him how to work the 760 once before we started hunting.  A hour or so after we started driving around I stopped to scan with thermal, when I noticed him with the gun propped up looking threw the scope.  He quickly said " nope there's no hogs".  I was like WTF..  I quickly asked him if he had the scope turned on.  He just said yep, and turned the scope off and put the lens cover back on.  I can't tell you how many adults I've had out hunting where I had to set the scope up for them before the shot.  Amazing how fast they pick up stuff at that age.  

He also whacked a coon at 70 yards after the hog kill.  Not to bad shooting off the handle bars of a four wheeler.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:04:47 PM EDT
[#12]
nice first kill on the 6.8
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:34:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:20:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:44:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Great story K along with a great blaster, and great round.

Edited, how old is that youngin doing that great shooting?

Thanks Vic,

Dalton is 8 years old, and he absolutely loves to hunt!  The little guy also blasted a coon a little after he shot the hog.  

Thanks for the new tube in the scope.  It preformed very well down in the bottom, with no moon light with a heavy tree cover (No IR).  I saw what you were talking about with the greener tint.  It's not to much greener, but going back and forth with my pvs I could see the little difference in color.  I probably would of never noticed if not going back and forth comparing the two.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top