Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2010 6:43:48 AM EDT
Someone I work with said it was to hot right now to hog hunt.  I live in La Porte, Texas and have a lease in Cleveland. It has been up to the mid 90's the last few week's. To Hot ??? What do yall think ?
Link Posted: 6/6/2010 6:46:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I do hunt in the summer, but it sucks.  Hot, humid, buggy ... underbrush is thick, sight lines are short, all in all ... it sucks. Then, toss in ticks, chiggers, more ticks, snakes, poison ivy, bull nettles, wasps ... did I mention that summer hunting sucks?

TRG

Link Posted: 6/7/2010 7:45:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I do hunt in the summer, but it sucks.  Hot, humid, buggy ... underbrush is thick, sight lines are short, all in all ... it sucks. Then, toss in ticks, chiggers, more ticks, snakes, poison ivy, bull nettles, wasps ... did I mention that summer hunting sucks?

TRG

Now that is girly sounding...If you would'nt hunt in flip-flops,  ninga style...it will have a better out-come

Yea is tough, thats why I put a air conditioner in my box blind...then frig....tv....it be ok if it was the only place I hunted, lol'

DeHog.

Link Posted: 6/7/2010 8:03:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

Now that is girly sounding...If you would'nt hunt in flip-flops,  ninga style...it will have a better out-come

Yea is tough, thats why I put a air conditioner in my box blind...then frig....tv....it be ok if it was the only place I hunted, lol'

DeHog.

ninga style?

I read that four times before I read it correctly ....  ninJa style.

TRG
Link Posted: 6/7/2010 9:41:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Hunting in the summer sux.

I went on a hunt two weeks ago, and it reminded me why I prefer hunting in the winter.

My favorite kind of hog hunting is "spot and stalk".  In the summer this is damn near impossible.  Too much ground cover to hide in, too much food around (no need to go to the feeders) and they can smell you from a mile away.  The only hogs you'll be able to stalk up are the young, small, stupid ones.

They could even smell me sitting in a tree stand.  I'd hear 'em in the heavy brush, they'd stop, grunt, and haul ass...

- AG
Link Posted: 6/7/2010 12:06:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Nightvision, Truck, A\C.  That is all.
Link Posted: 6/7/2010 2:06:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

DeHog.

Thank you TRG, glad you fixt it for me !

ninga style?

I read that four times before I read it correctly ....  ninJa style.

TRG

Link Posted: 6/7/2010 2:53:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I had an odd summer hunt this morning.

Just got out of the shower, and was standing at the bathroom sink getting ready to shave.  Face all lathered up, in my drawers.........., the wife says, "There's a BIIGG hog under the feeder!

Looked out the window, sure enough I see about a 225 lb boar with 5 deer standing back a ways watching him eat.
Reached into the gun cabinet, then tiptoed out on th porch in my drawers.

BOOM!

Came back in the house and asked the wife to bring me a towel so I could wipe the shaving cream off the stock!

How many of you have ever had to wipe shaving cream off of the stock of your rifle?
Link Posted: 6/7/2010 4:00:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

How many of you have ever had to wipe shaving cream off of the stock of your rifle?

Real man would have made her shoot it, clean, and fix the beans to go with it...

TRG
Link Posted: 6/8/2010 5:20:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Just got out of the shower, and was standing at the bathroom sink getting ready to shave.  Face all lathered up, in my drawers.........., the wife says, "There's a BIIGG hog under the feeder!

Looked out the window, sure enough I see about a 225 lb boar with 5 deer standing back a ways watching him eat.

BOOM!

Came back in the house and asked the wife to bring me a towel so I could wipe the shaving cream off the stock!

How about soap suds?

Link Posted: 6/8/2010 7:49:20 PM EDT
[#10]
No shaving cream, but I have shot plenty of them form the lodge porch....in my underwear ...using NVD's.

As for summer hunting, it sucks!  I don't even book trips in July and August.  Even though I lose quite a bit of hunting revenue, it is torture on my hunters.  Humid, hot, mozzies, chiggers, ticks, and as all have said, thick cover, and hogs are difficult to find.  It was much easier in the drought of 2007- 2008.  All you had to do was find water, corn or milo crops (what was left of them) and you had hogs.  There were no bugs because there was no water in or on the ground at all.
Link Posted: 6/11/2010 6:26:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Pretty much any hog hunting we do during the summer is at night only. We continue to trap during the summer but you have to make sure that the traps are well shaded and that you check them early or you'll end up with a trap full of dead hogs.
Link Posted: 6/15/2010 7:37:28 AM EDT
[#12]
I have been known to stray away from the swimming take with wet board shorts, flip flops and an AK... VC style.
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 10:41:18 AM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 6/17/2010 12:34:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have been known to stray away from the swimming take with wet board shorts, flip flops and an AK... VC style.

In years past, I took the majority of my hogs with shorts and sandals.  This year the ticks have been unbelievable.  Even a short stroll in the woods will earn you 3-5 ticks crawling on you.

Lyme disease vs. Feral hogs.

Lyme disease is not worth it, imho.

TRG
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 2:35:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Someone I work with said it was to hot right now to hog hunt.  I live in La Porte, Texas and have a lease in Cleveland. It has been up to the mid 90's the last few week's. To Hot ??? What do yall think ?

I'd just drive down red bluff a little ways, pick you a spot bout Bay Area Blvd, and get you a piggie. You could be home and cleaned up before you started sweating. Saw a little group while I was out running on the hike and bike trail early am a week ago.

Link Posted: 8/9/2010 10:04:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'd just drive down red bluff a little ways, pick you a spot bout Bay Area Blvd, and get you a piggie. You could be home and cleaned up before you started sweating. Saw a little group while I was out running on the hike and bike trail early am a week ago.

Man if it were that easy. Same with Space Center out in the open near Ellington. I've seen them out there, also near Bay Oaks tearing up yards.
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 1:47:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Fuggit and I shot one before daylight this morning.  By 7 AM it was already too hot to enjoy cleaning the hog.

Saw 5 dead on the side of the road near Martins Mill on FM 773 this morning.  Came back by them at 3pm, and they were swarmed by vultures and already being reduced to sludge.

nasty.

TRG
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 6:26:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I saw a couple this week but never got a shot off. It was just too damn hot for me to spend much time out. I'm waiting for fall.
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 4:27:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Head south and chase tailing reds until October...see ya there.

P
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 11:06:45 AM EDT
[#20]
The weather sucks, but killin hogs ANYTIME of the year ROCKS! We have gators, snakes, bug galore, 80-100% hmidity, rain wind and BEST of all ...PORK !!! Pigs are the reason were out n about,All the other stuffs just minor details we deal with. We have 0ver 90 hogs down this summer out of 345 since Jan. Percentage wise most of the trophy hogs killed were in the sumer. July had us 32 pigs, but 19 WERE WALL HANGERS!! The cooler months net us much higher numbers, but nothing special trophy wise. A brute here n there.
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 11:52:27 AM EDT
[#21]
High noon yesterday moving feeders around saw 15-20 leaving a big slough.  They were on a pretty good pace, and I saw a opening threw the trees.  I had the EO dot waiting on her when she arrived!  55gr sp to the ear wins every time!  DRT

I don't know what the deal is lately, but I'm hardly seeing any hogs at night using NV and Thermal.  Most of the hogs I've been seeing are dead in the middle of the afternoon moving to or from water.
Link Posted: 8/13/2010 12:22:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I don't know what the deal is lately, but I'm hardly seeing any hogs at night using NV and Thermal.  Most of the hogs I've been seeing are dead in the middle of the afternoon moving to or from water.

I went out three days last week and got into hogs three times between 4 and 7pm. It's so hot right now that they can't sit around all day without getting water.
Link Posted: 8/13/2010 9:30:33 PM EDT
[#23]

I went out three days last week and got into hogs three times between 4 and 7pm. It's so hot right now that they can't sit around all day without getting water

I think you hit the nail on the head with that post.   I've also been pulling sd cards from game cams.  Seems all the activity has been in daylight hours.  Kind of strange they haven't been  hitting the feeders at night.  I guess that's why I like hog hunting so much.  You never know what those suckers might do.  

Should be a good fall ponyboy.  Lots and lots of hogs on the game cams.
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 7:18:31 AM EDT
[#24]
We went out last evening around six.  Humped through the woods and up and down creek banks.  It was so friggin hot.  No wind and high humidity.  Just brutal.  Saw around six pigs coming out of a thicket heading straight to the water at about 35 yards.  I had the M16 with a ACOG.  Missed the biggest one with a couple of bursts.  How in the fuck do I miss at 35 yards?  Two went their seperate ways and I had a broadside shot at 100 yards.  Missed again.

Saw four more at 200 yards, but by the time TRG got set up, they dissapeared.  At sundown, the mosquitos came out and we were spent.  Just soaking wet and beat.
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 8:40:50 AM EDT
[#25]
I finally set up a camera out at my Dad's place in Commerce last weekend.  We have a "Hog Tube" and a little less than 100 yards away there is also a hanging feeder.  My Dad checked the camera and feeders last night and both feeders were completely empty.  Hopefully we can get more hogs coming in if we can keep the feeders full.  He is going to move the camera over to the hanging feeder this weekend to see what has beeen hitting over there.  

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 9:08:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
We went out last evening around six.  Humped through the woods and up and down creek banks.  It was so friggin hot.  No wind and high humidity.  Just brutal.  Saw around six pigs coming out of a thicket heading straight to the water at about 35 yards.  I had the M16 with a ACOG.  Missed the biggest one with a couple of bursts.  How in the fuck do I miss at 35 yards?  Two went their seperate ways and I had a broadside shot at 100 yards.  Missed again.

Saw four more at 200 yards, but by the time TRG got set up, they dissapeared.  At sundown, the mosquitos came out and we were spent.  Just soaking wet and beat.

I went back out this morning about 9:30, and hunted for two hours.  The only places that I found fresh sign was in the drying creeks.  Still brutally hot, slight breeze.

Oddly enough, I spotted a bedded doe by one watering hole, and a doe with twin fawns at another.  

No hogs though.  Fresh spoor from last night's pigs though.

TRG
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:45:10 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

BOOM!

I bet it was Old Spice Too.LOL

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top