Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2009 1:12:35 PM EDT
Assuming max distance of 200yds (100yds is probably more likely) and pigs of 150lbs or less (most likely).

What's a good rifle / cartridge combo?  Shorter (rifle OAL) and lighter is better.  Detachable magazine is a plus.  10rds or so is also a plus.  Seems like most people generically say "30-30 class" cartridge.  

I was looking at 6.8SPC, 6.5 Grendel, 300 Whisper, 30 RAR, etc.  Also considering just a plain old 308 Win in a "lightweight" AR-10 upper or Remington Model 750.

Yes, I understand a 22LR in the brain will work.  That's not in the spirit of the question.
Link Posted: 5/20/2009 1:51:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone of those calibers will get the job done quite well.  HTR has quite a few threads on the effectiveness of the 6.8 cartridge shooting barnes bullets with  very impressive results.  I've been using a ar and restricting myself to ear shots, but i'm in the process of building a lightweight 308 package.  I would of went with a 6.8, but I have a huge supply of 308 bullets laying around.  

Another direction would be a .50 wolf or .458 socom .  Definetly a hog stopper.

Link Posted: 5/20/2009 2:25:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I was looking at 6.8SPC

There you go.
Link Posted: 5/20/2009 9:55:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I think your ideal package would be :

6.8 SPC in 16" lightweight profile barrel.  These are currently made by  ARPerformance, located in Colorado.  You could also add Troy TRX extreme handguard as the 9" rail is only 6.5 ozs, and allows for a couple of rails to be attached.   A Magpul CTR stock is light and strong.

You can use the Barnes 85 grain TSX's which come out of the 16" barrel at 3050 FPS in the SSA factory load, and can easily be loaded to about 3150 in handloads.   I have killed many, many pigs with these and the 110 grain TTSX's.

While it is an outstanding pig killer, there is no .308 that would give you the same compact, lightweight package.

Here is a picture of something very similar with a VLTOR CASV - M.  This is a Cardinal Armory 11 twist 4 groove barrel with SPC II chamber.  It is the rifle on the top

Link Posted: 5/21/2009 7:07:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Short lightweight 100 yard pig rifle?

Winchester Trapper .44 magnum lever action rifle.  A trapper .30-30 would work well too.

That's what I would grab out of the gun safe if I were chasing pigs today.  

The other choices you listed are just fine for the job too.  If I were building another AR for pig hunting (which I will soon) I think I would pick the 6.8 SPC.
Link Posted: 5/21/2009 8:11:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I have to agree with HTR, if your building another AR and you want light and short I would go with the 6.8 if I was building a AR10 (or whatever you want to call the 308 AR) I would make it with at least a 20 inch barrel...

I have to agree with HTR as to the effectiveness of the 85 TSX this guy was about 160 meters off one shot with the 85 put him down and never moved...

Those 85's will also go through both shoulder of a hog no problem as we saw later that night when another guy hunting with us put the hurt on a 200 lber...
Link Posted: 5/21/2009 8:24:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Ruger Frontier or Savage Scout (especially with the detachable mag on the Savage) in .308.

Maybe a Remington Model Seven in 7mm-08.
Link Posted: 5/21/2009 2:15:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ruger Frontier or Savage Scout (especially with the detachable mag on the Savage) in .308.

I really like all three of these rifles above for compactness and the rounds mentioned.

Except, with hogs, you really do need a semi-automatic.  If you are going to do it right, the bolt gun just won't cut it if you get into a group like this:

Link Posted: 5/21/2009 2:59:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think your ideal package would be :

6.8 SPC in 16" lightweight profile barrel.  These are currently made by  ARPerformance, located in Colorado.  You could also add Troy TRX extreme handguard as the 9" rail is only 6.5 ozs, and allows for a couple of rails to be attached.   A Magpul CTR stock is light and strong.

You can use the Barnes 85 grain TSX's which come out of the 16" barrel at 3050 FPS in the SSA factory load, and can easily be loaded to about 3150 in handloads.   I have killed many, many pigs with these and the 110 grain TTSX's.

While it is an outstanding pig killer, there is no .308 that would give you the same compact, lightweight package.

Here is a picture of something very similar with a VLTOR CASV - M.  This is a Cardinal Armory 11 twist 4 groove barrel with SPC II chamber.  It is the rifle on the top

http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s233/dkred5854/January08028.jpg

You forgot the suppressor and NV.  

Link Posted: 5/21/2009 3:33:01 PM EDT
[#9]
6.8 SPC

Make sure you use a bonded core bullet, or a Barnes.  You should be GTG.
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 12:15:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really like all three of these rifles above for compactness and the rounds mentioned.

Except, with hogs, you really do need a semi-automatic.  If you are going to do it right, the bolt gun just won't cut it if you get into a group like this:

http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s233/dkred5854/Pigs-1.jpg

Is that your own ranch?  I am jealous

Link Posted: 5/22/2009 4:04:00 PM EDT
[#11]
lever action in 454 or 480 Ruger would work well at those distances.  Puma makes them both
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 9:08:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Is that your own ranch?  I am jealous

yes it is HTR's place....
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 9:58:47 AM EDT
[#13]
You've pretty much convinced me to go 6.8SPC over 300 Whisper or 30 Remington AR.

Where's a good place to get a ~16" upper with the right twist and chamber configuration?

SPC II?  1:11" twist?  Sounds like I'll be using the 85gr TSX exclusively.
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 5:24:14 PM EDT
[#14]
http://www.ar15performance.com/home
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 6:00:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 9:59:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Curiously AR15 Performance is right down the road from me.  They don't seem to be very well-known locally.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 3:46:25 PM EDT
[#17]
.458 SOCOM.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 3:53:59 PM EDT
[#18]
This might be a stupid question, but why not 7.62x39?  Seems like it would be cheaper to plink with and good ammo is available for it most places..200 yards is not out of line for it I don't think.

Just curious.  

I have heard rumors that there  are some feral pigs up here but have not seens any.  Seen turkeys though.  No bag, size, season, or possession limits on feral animals...
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 3:56:09 PM EDT
[#19]
.50 Beowulf
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 3:56:27 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

This might be a stupid question, but why not 7.62x39? Seems like it would be cheaper to plink with and good ammo is available for it most places..200 yards is not out of line for it I don't think.

Just curious.

I have heard rumors that there are some feral pigs up here but have not seens any. Seen turkeys though. No bag, size, season, or possession limits on feral animals...

45-70 Marlin

Link Posted: 6/4/2009 7:57:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This might be a stupid question, but why not 7.62x39?  Seems like it would be cheaper to plink with and good ammo is available for it most places..200 yards is not out of line for it I don't think.

Just curious.  

I have heard rumors that there  are some feral pigs up here but have not seens any.  Seen turkeys though.  No bag, size, season, or possession limits on feral animals...

7.62x39 is an excellent round to hunt with, but you really need to get a reliable magazine.  You don't want the bolt to get stuck on the second round on a wild hog follow up shot.  I made the mistake buying Cproducts magazine.  I had to pay $8 bucks to send them back.  One guy had to send his back 3 times.  $8x3=$24.  $24 could buy another mag!
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 4:21:58 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

This might be a stupid question, but why not 7.62x39? Seems like it would be cheaper to plink with and good ammo is available for it most places..200 yards is not out of line for it I don't think.

Just curious.

I have heard rumors that there are some feral pigs up here but have not seens any. Seen turkeys though. No bag, size, season, or possession limits on feral animals...

A 7.62x39 bullet only has 800-1100 ft.lb. at 200 yards. To me, that sounds pretty marginal for a hog, especially when the bullet drop is almost a foot at that range. Feral or not, nuisance or not, I like a clean one-shot kill, and that round doesn't do it for me at that range.  100 yards and in?  No problem.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 5:56:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just curious.

A 7.62x39 bullet only has 800-1100 ft.lb. at 200 yards. To me, that sounds pretty marginal for a hog, especially when the bullet drop is almost a foot at that range. Feral or not, nuisance or not, I like a clean one-shot kill, and that round doesn't do it for me at that range.  100 yards and in?  No problem.

I am not a ballistic expert or anything.  But I zeroed my M1S @ 100 yds and can hit a 6" gong at around 215 yds without holding over......... consistantly
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 7:06:17 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just curious.

A 7.62x39 bullet only has 800-1100 ft.lb. at 200 yards. To me, that sounds pretty marginal for a hog, especially when the bullet drop is almost a foot at that range. Feral or not, nuisance or not, I like a clean one-shot kill, and that round doesn't do it for me at that range. 100 yards and in? No problem.

I am not a ballistic expert or anything. But I zeroed my M1S @ 100 yds and can hit a 6" gong at around 215 yds without holding over......... consistantly

I looked it up and you're right. I must have been thinking of its trajectory at 300 yards.  Six inches low at 200 yards isn't bad. And a well placed shot with 1000 ft. lbs. will probably do a decent job on a hog.

I stand corrected.

Link Posted: 6/5/2009 8:58:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Winchester Trapper .44 magnum lever action rifle.  A trapper .30-30 would work well too.

The other choices you listed are just fine for the job too.  If I were building another AR for pig hunting (which I will soon) I think I would pick the 6.8 SPC.

My John Wayne Special Winchester Model 94 .44 Mag always does a number on large swine if I don't have my 5.56mm handy!

Link Posted: 6/5/2009 9:10:03 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Winchester Trapper .44 magnum lever action rifle. A trapper .30-30 would work well too.

The other choices you listed are just fine for the job too. If I were building another AR for pig hunting (which I will soon) I think I would pick the 6.8 SPC.

My John Wayne Special Winchester Model 94 .44 Mag always does a number on large swine if I don't have my 5.56mm handy!

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Hogzilla.jpg

That's one big sow!
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 10:04:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Winchester Trapper .44 magnum lever action rifle. A trapper .30-30 would work well too.

The other choices you listed are just fine for the job too. If I were building another AR for pig hunting (which I will soon) I think I would pick the 6.8 SPC.

That's one big sow!

Is that a domestic pig?
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 10:27:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

That's one big sow!

Is that a domestic pig?

It is a dead feral Yorkshire sow.

One Hornady .44 MAG 300 grain JHP @ 50 yards.

Link Posted: 6/5/2009 11:02:39 AM EDT
[#29]
While all the lever guns mentioned above are more than capable of getting the job done.  None have detachable mags, or are capable of holding more than 10 rounds like the OP is looking for.  The 6.8 is going to be hard to beat for the application at hand.  (lightweight package, adequate stopping power, mag capacity)
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 12:43:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
While all the lever guns mentioned above are more than capable of getting the job done.  None have detachable mags, or are capable of holding more than 10 rounds like the OP is looking for.  The 6.8 is going to be hard to beat for the application at hand.  (lightweight package, adequate stopping power, mag capacity)

Thats true.  6.8 is a pretty damn good round.  I am trying to build a 6.5MPC just because you don't need to buy special mags or parts for it.  Its not as good as a 6.8SPC from what I understand, but can used formed 223 brass and 6.5 bullets.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 3:20:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Ding, ding, ding.

We have a winner!
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 4:45:32 PM EDT
[#32]
6.8 or .458 socom.  I have the .458 and am building the 6.8.  The distance you really think you are going to hit them at is the key indicator.  That being said the .458 is an absolute sledgehammer and accuracy is good within 150 m
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 10:26:48 AM EDT
[#33]
I've found I can hit them just about anywhere and drop them with my .458 SOCOM and the Corbon 300gr JHP.  I've dropped several that I hit running with poorly placed shots....i.e center of mass or in the ass running away from me and the dropped w/o taking another step.  75-150 lb range.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:30:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Hogs around here are not that large, and with the heavy cover, the shot distance is close.  I have found that my Bushmaster .223 with my hand loads works well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top