Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2008 5:54:00 PM EDT
Gents,

These three pigs were behind the cabin, butting up against my feeder, attempting to shake the corn from it.  After realizing they were trying to abscond what I have laid out there for deer, I calmly snuck back inside and retrieved my 6.8, with PVS-14.  It was loaded with my favorite Barnes TTSX's, 110 grains, behind 29.5 grains of RE10X.  This load, as you can see, is like the sledgehammer from Hell.

3 shots, 3 kills.  The first, was clipped behind the ear....he went down like a sack of potatoes.  Then, they bolted, and one went left, the other right.  

The one that went right took a Barnes about 3 ribs back from the shoulder....they were in a dead run after all, and I hit him just a hair behind the heart.  However, he was quartering away, just a bit, so the bullet hit the heart, and came out the left shoulder, breaking it into a few pieces....DRT.

The one that went left, was about 145 yards out, when I shot him quartering away sharply.  The bullet entered the left hip and exited the right shoulder....through and through...he went end-over-end.  I chuckled giddily upon seeing this.

I didn't then, and have yet to, recover one of the TTSX's from the 4 pigs I've killed with it.  They penetrate, hold together, deposit energy and tear everything else in their path to shreds.  Then they leave.

Multiple kills are always a possibility, and population control is moot unless you kill a hundred or so, per year.  Shooting one here or there does nothing.  

I am up to 51 pigs for the year.  Every one, except for the one my girlfriend shot with my .308, has fallen to the 6.8 SPC.

Link Posted: 9/22/2008 5:37:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Sweet...

Link Posted: 9/22/2008 6:02:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I love stories like that.  They bring a true tear to my eye.  Damn fine shooting and write up as always!
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 7:34:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Guess I'll be bring my 6.8 SPC to Texas in November for my first ever hog hunt.  What is mag capacity limit?
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 9:04:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Guess I'll be bring my 6.8 SPC to Texas in November for my first ever hog hunt.  What is mag capacity limit?

None
Link Posted: 9/28/2008 9:49:59 AM EDT
[#5]
It looks like htr is is young, if he hasn't reached his prime yet them hogs down there are in for it even more. If an emeny ever lands on our beaches sure glad he is between me and it. LOL . I have done went over that famous hill.

Hey htr, the picture of the tipped shows me that the copper at the tip is larger in dia. Meaning quicker expansion? My tsx have a pin hole, but can you do a shot in sand test to get a recovered dia. comparison?  I cant imagin opening quicker and cutting deeper.

One more thing would you test a tipped coal at 2280? will it crimp?

Midway has them on for $29.49 a box.
Link Posted: 9/28/2008 6:54:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It looks like htr is is young, if he hasn't reached his prime yet them hogs down there are in for it even more. If an emeny ever lands on our beaches sure glad he is between me and it. LOL . I have done went over that famous hill.

Hey htr, the picture of the tipped shows me that the copper at the tip is larger in dia. Meaning quicker expansion? My tsx have a pin hole, but can you do a shot in sand test to get a recovered dia. comparison?  I cant imagin opening quicker and cutting deeper.

One more thing would you test a tipped coal at 2280? will it crimp?

Midway has them on for $29.49 a box.

I am 45....not so young, but I feel 37, LOL.

I think they will crimp at 2.28" but my first batch was all 2.30" . When loaded to 2.30" I still cannot see the bands.  These bullets are very long, so you probably will want PRI mags, to get that length.  I will say this:  I have found that loading to 2.30" is one of the key secrets in getting good accuracy from a number of 6.8 bullets.  My TTSX loads shot into .6" at 100 yards.  My TSX loads were 2.28 and you could see one of the grooves.

ETA:  Yes, the cavity is slightly larger.  We tried doing an expansion test at the 6.8 Performance test.  We shot TTSX's (going 2700 FPS)  into a dead 300 lb. hog, from 100 yards, and never could recover a bullet!  They all went through, even when we shot it lengthwise!  I cut the pig open and the wound channel was huge, with the shoulder and spine broken, and the opposite shoulder also broken.....WOW.
Link Posted: 9/28/2008 7:52:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice shooting.
Link Posted: 9/29/2008 3:30:02 AM EDT
[#8]
51 for the year.  Some of those young sows could have been grandmothers by now if left unmolested.  It does make a difference.  

Good shootin'.   I'm gonna start keeping track of my kills, My memory is short.

I put a 6.8 pro hunter through the heart of a boar the other day and he still ran 30 yards.  

Old lady heard a few of us talking about hogs after church.  She listened for a little bit and said "I wish there was hogs around when I was a kid, I got tired of eating squirrel"

We are so fortunate now days!
Link Posted: 9/29/2008 5:30:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

ETA:  Yes, the cavity is slightly larger.  We tried doing an expansion test at the 6.8 Performance test.  We shot TTSX's (going 2700 FPS)  into a dead 300 lb. hog, from 100 yards, and never could recover a bullet!  They all went through, even when we shot it lengthwise!  I cut the pig open and the wound channel was huge, with the shoulder and spine broken, and the opposite shoulder also broken.....WOW.

That has been my experience with the mono metals as well.  Anything much over 2300 fps and the petals eventually shear off while the shank keeps on trucking.  

It literally liquifies the internal organs of medium game.  I shot a 150-ish lb. doe last year facing directly at me.  The bullet hit her in the center of the brisket.  When we unzipped her jammies, it looked like she was full of diarrhea from stem to stern.  No major organs were identifiable.  The bullet travelled a mostly straight course through the deer and exited the ham just off to one side of the anus.

My partner said, "Hell we can just pour it out..."  
Link Posted: 9/29/2008 6:49:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Great story...  and good shootin'.

Overwhelming desire to acquire 6.8:  Check!

- AG
Link Posted: 9/29/2008 1:45:16 PM EDT
[#11]
YEP 6.8, I havent hunted with my ar-10 since I got one.
Link Posted: 9/29/2008 5:23:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
51 for the year.  Some of those young sows could have been grandmothers by now if left unmolested.  It does make a difference.  

Good shootin'.   I'm gonna start keeping track of my kills, My memory is short.

I put a 6.8 pro hunter through the heart of a boar the other day and he still ran 30 yards.  

Old lady heard a few of us talking about hogs after church.  She listened for a little bit and said "I wish there was hogs around when I was a kid, I got tired of eating squirrel"

We are so fortunate now days!

You know, I couldn't agree more.  How cool is it to have an animal to hunt, where no management is necessary...except of course to kill as many as you possibly can....no limit, no restrictions on the harvest, with any means that is currently legal to own...at night, with NVD's, suppressors....wow.  

God, I love Texas.  

Link Posted: 9/29/2008 5:25:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That has been my experience with the mono metals as well.  Anything much over 2300 fps and the petals eventually shear off while the shank keeps on trucking.  

It literally liquifies the internal organs of medium game.  I shot a 150-ish lb. doe last year facing directly at me.  The bullet hit her in the center of the brisket.  When we unzipped her jammies, it looked like she was full of diarrhea from stem to stern.  No major organs were identifiable.  The bullet travelled a mostly straight course through the deer and exited the ham just off to one side of the anus.

My partner said, "Hell we can just pour it out..."  

I think the TTSX is made for the 6.8 SPC.  It is going just fast enough to expand fully, yet no so fast as to make the bullet break apart.  I can't say for sure, but I think that the bullets are probably retaining the petals.  I still haven't found a bullet or copper yet!
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 3:34:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Nice shooting!
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 6:14:54 AM EDT
[#15]
h-t-r...

Of course this post did make me go out and get a 6.8 SPC upper.

I recently acquired a factory RRA 16" midlength.

My question for you (since I am a reloader)...  when you describe using the TTSX's your are referring to the new Tipped triple shocks, correct?

I've read that the tipped ones were too long and that the standard triple shocks should be used instead in the 6.8... Is this incorrect?  

And to confirm, what grain weight TTSX?

Thanks very much...

- AG

ETA: I want to try the Barnes, but it is gonna be hard to convince me to give up these 110 gr prohunters... they are pretty sweet and cheap to boot...

Link Posted: 10/17/2008 11:37:21 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
h-t-r...

Of course this post did make me go out and get a 6.8 SPC upper.

Good for you...you will not regret it

I recently acquired a factory RRA 16" midlength.

I think that's a pretty good choice.  It has the SPC II chamber a no chrome lining so it should handle pretty manly loads

My question for you (since I am a reloader)...  when you describe using the TTSX's your are referring to the new Tipped triple shocks, correct?

Yes, you have that right, they are the Tipped-TSX, and they are superior to the TSX, IMO.

I've read that the tipped ones were too long and that the standard triple shocks should be used instead in the 6.8... Is this incorrect?  

No, they are not too long.  However, at 1.17" they will need to be loaded out to 2.30" and you will thus need PRI mags.  Try RE10X and H335 with these bullets.

And to confirm, what grain weight TTSX?

They are 110 grains.  PLEASE call and/or email Barnes and ask then to make the TTSX a little shorter, in the 85, and 100 grain weights.  Can you imagine an 85 grain TTSX going 3000 FPS out of a 16" barrel??  This would be the all-time best 6.8 load ever devised.

Thanks very much...

You're welcome!  I love seeing another shooter get into 6.8.  There are huge things to come for this caliber in the future....

- AG

ETA: I want to try the Barnes, but it is gonna be hard to convince me to give up these 110 gr prohunters... they are pretty sweet and cheap to boot...

Link Posted: 10/17/2008 12:43:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm jeaous of the can
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top