Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2008 8:33:48 AM EDT
Hi guys. Ive lived in Texas most all my life and sadly ive never killed anything but the occasional tree roach and wolf spider that finds there way in my home. Im new to this whole hunting thing. A friend of mine has some land that has been trampled by hogs so I told him I would love to get out there and shoot 'em. We set up a feeder w/ deer corn and it goes off twice a day. The shots will be from about 100y, maybe a little less. Ill be using my Noveske N4 w/ TA01NSN and M855. I'll have no problem getting a head shot but trying for the heart might be a problem only because I have no experience and am unaware on where to place the bullet on him for that.

Now I know for deer you need all this special soap and detergant to control you odor but is all that necessary for hogs? Is there any good advise you could give a virgin like myself? I would greatly appreciate it.

Mike
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 8:39:41 AM EDT
[#1]
check out
www.texasboars.com

LOTS of good info there
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 12:09:25 PM EDT
[#2]
tag
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 7:58:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Most important, have fun. Hog hunting is a hell of a lot of fun!

Edit: Hogs have a very keen sense of smell, I usually use scent neutralizers but have had close encounters with hogs both with and without these products.

Here is a link to texasboars.com kill zone anatomy. A bit graphic but very informative. I also highly recommend joining the forum there and ask those guys some questions, very nice folks there.

Killzone anatomy of wild boar
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 10:31:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Figure out what you're going to do with the dead critters after you shoot them.
Link Posted: 6/27/2008 4:54:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Well the friend who owns the property is a seasoned hunter so he knows how to make it into food so to speak, hunting hogs just is not his thing. We'll just put 'em in the back of his truck and bring 'em on home. Also thanks for the links guys. I looked at the "kill zone" and see that the bottom of the neck is probley the best place to hit 'em altho I dont see why a head shot, especially with steel core ammo, wont do the job just as well. Have any of you tried a head shot?

Quoted:
Figure out what you're going to do with the dead critters after you shoot them.
Link Posted: 6/27/2008 1:23:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Have any of you tried a head shot?

I shoot em in the head with a suppressed .22LR pistol when they're in the trap but if we're out hunting or spotlighting I take a neck shot if given the opprotunity. It'll drop em right there and it's a lot bigger target than their tiny little brain.

I've seen a big hog take two 9mm to the head that weren't in the right spot and it just pissed it off. Parts of their skull are pretty tough and can deflect a bullet if hit at the right angle.
Link Posted: 6/27/2008 5:07:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Have any of you tried a head shot?

I shoot em in the head with a suppressed .22LR pistol when they're in the trap but if we're out hunting or spotlighting I take a neck shot if given the opprotunity. It'll drop em right there and it's a lot bigger target than their tiny little brain.

I've seen a big hog take two 9mm to the head that weren't in the right spot and it just pissed it off. Parts of their skull are pretty tough and can deflect a bullet if hit at the right angle.

Cool, thanks for the info, neck it will be then.
Link Posted: 6/30/2008 8:09:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Better make sure you get them on ice ASAP. If it's a long drive home, you might want to butcher it there and ice it in a cooler.

Jeff
Link Posted: 7/2/2008 5:41:40 PM EDT
[#9]
It can be tempting to get caught up in the special soap, scent blockers, and newest HD camo schemes, but don't forget the basics.

Set up DOWN WIND from your area of fire and the animals entry route to your area. Sit in the shade. Make sure there is cover BEHIND you, to break up your outline and hide any movments. Be quiet. Be still. Be patient. Bring water if its hot.

Aim small = miss small. Pic a small specific area of the hog to aim at. Focus on it. You might be surprised how excited you can get when the moment comes to make the shot.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:19:31 PM EDT
[#10]
tagged for tips...

Now that I'm done with school I am really looking forward to having the time to go hog hunting.  Unfortunately, I will probably have to pay alot for it since I don't know anyone with land in the DFW area

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:40:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
tagged for tips...

Now that I'm done with school I am really looking forward to having the time to go hog hunting.  Unfortunately, I will probably have to pay alot for it since I don't know anyone with land in the DFW area

My lease in Kent Co. is covered in hogs
Iam going to have a genocide hog hunt in August
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:50:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Does any one hunt hogs with an ak? I got one, and was thinking of using it.
what is a good round to use?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:37:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
tagged for tips...

My lease in Kent Co. is covered in hogs
Iam going to have a genocide hog hunt in August

That sounds likie fun
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top